Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2016 10:50:30 AM EDT
Was browsing the selection at Cabelas last night and ran across it.  I've been leaning more towards a G26 or P30SK for a small double-stack carry gun, but it felt nice and that trigger was awesome, IMHO.  Additionally, I like how the trigger lets you have the opportunity for a second strike, if needed.

I did a search in the Walther forum, but it didn't return any hits.  How do you guys like yours?  I'm going to research mag prices, etc.  I'm thinking I'll probably lean toward the G26 still because I just bought a lot of Glock mags, but wanted to get some opinions.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got one earlier in the week..haven't even taken it to the range yet, but I have a full-size P99.

Mags seem a bit pricy compared to Glock mags, $35 or so...but, I expect them to be just as reliable.

You can get spare parts from Walther, usually fairly cheap, so there is that. Waltherforum has PDFs listing all the part numbers, so you can just call and order by that. If you can only find flat-bottom mags and want to put a finger rest on it, for example, you can order finger rest floorplates direct from Walther.

Full size P99/PPQ M1 mags fit just fine, and you can find mag grip sleeves at Midway and elsewhere, though the stock of them seems to come and go...and at $20/ea, they're kind of pricey. But, if for some reason you want to carry a subcompact with a 17 round mag...you can.

You can improve the DA trigger pull by replacing the striker spring with a 6lb XP Glock striker spring, supposedly. I'll find out today when I get home, as my spring set should have been delivered today Even without that, the DA pull is pretty nice, way better than a factory Sig P229 for example (my only real comparison, as that's the only other DA/SA gun that I own at the moment). It's so far the only DA/SA platform that I can actually use, that works for me.

Jarvis sells threaded barrels for them, if you feel the need to silence your subcompact...I know I do, I'll have one on order in a couple months when I can afford it

I also have a PPS also to compare it to...it's just about the same size as the PPS in every dimension save one - it's wider. In every other way though it's just about the same size (though I think it's a smidge longer in the slide).

P99/PPQ sights fit on it just fine...eventually I'll be ordering some TruGlo TFX for my P99 and P99c.

This weekend I hope to get to the range with it, and if it works like I expect it to, it'll have a place in my carry rotation...
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
FYI, I tried my full size with a Wolff Glock 6lb XP striker spring...the DA pull dropped from probably 11-ishlb to 8lb measured, which was nice! However...the striker is noticeably mushier. I'm not sure it would reliably ignite even slightly hard primers in SA mode, honestly..I think I'm just going to leave mine stock. I might try a 6.5lb spring at some point but there's gotta be a level of diminishing returns for a lighter DA pull while reliably igniting even hard primers in SA mode.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, Ed.  I'll see if one of my local gun shops has one to rent.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll find out how mine shoots sometime this weekend...they're predicting snowy armageddon here for today and Saturday, so we'll see

I'm not anticipating anything out of the ordinary though. I've already ordered extra mags for it and a Talon grip wrap, which it sorely needs...
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#5]
The P99c AS is a fantastic pistol.  You will not be disappointed.
I recently purchased one after having owned a full-size P99AS for about the past 6 years.  I will agree that the trigger is probably one of the nicest DA/SA triggers on any polymer pistol I've ever handled.  The SA pull breaks like glass, and the reset is very short and tactile.  I haven't put *too* many rounds through it yet, however I found the recoil to be quite manageable in 9mm, even with the 147gr +P Federal HST load (my primary defensive load).

The grip extensions make using the full-size P99 mags possible, and without them I have read that it is possible to damage the ejector if the mag is inserted too forcefully.

My only gripe about it, is that the "heel"(?) of the grip seems to be rather short, but the mag with the pinky extension seems to help leverage it out.
My PPS M1 is a little longer in that area, so it feels more controllable when firing, albeit thinner and "blockier".

Even with that, I'm a fan, and it is a fantastic pistol.  I threw a set of Meprolite M18802 PPS sights on it, and wear it in a Vedder lite tuck.

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Great to hear!  As a Glock/XDS owner, that trigger was amazing.  The pistol certainly felt very comfortable in the hand as well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got one on my hip right now   IMHO an awesome pistol. It replaced my Glock 27. I find it easier, faster, and more accurate to shoot (but keep in mind that I also switched from 40S&W to 9mm which is a major reason for those improvements). The ergonomics are for me much, much better than the Glock. And there's just no comparison on the trigger.

On thing that hasn't been mentioned is that by design, the 99 is a DA/SA with decocker. That means that typically the first round is fired with a heavier DA pull followed by very light and crisp SA for all subsequent rounds.

It is possible to carry the 99 as SA only (Walther calls it "Anti-Stress" or AS mode); but most including myself prefer the DA/SA mode. It's just a wee bit safer that way.

It can share magazines with a full-size P99 and with a PPQ M1 (but not the M2). I also have the PPQ M1 and I share magazines and holsters easily between the two weapons.

For a lot more information check out Walther Forums. They've got a whole section and FAQs devoted to the P99.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've got one on my hip right now   IMHO an awesome pistol. It replaced my Glock 27. I find it easier, faster, and more accurate to shoot (but keep in mind that I also switched from 40S&W to 9mm which is a major reason for those improvements). The ergonomics are for me much, much better than the Glock. And there's just no comparison on the trigger.

On thing that hasn't been mentioned is that by design, the 99 is a DA/SA with decocker. That means that typically the first round is fired with a heavier DA pull followed by very light and crisp SA for all subsequent rounds.

It is possible to carry the 99 as SA only (Walther calls it "Anti-Stress" or AS mode); but most including myself prefer the DA/SA mode. It's just a wee bit safer that way.

It can share magazines with a full-size P99 and with a PPQ M1 (but not the M2). I also have the PPQ M1 and I share magazines and holsters easily between the two weapons.

For a lot more information check out Walther Forums. They've got a whole section and FAQs devoted to the P99.
View Quote
Cool, thanks for the info!  
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Get it.  I have both the P99c AS and a Glock 23. Don't depend on one platform. The Walther is great. And that double strike may save your life one day, or just give you more confidence in your defensive ability. The Walther feels great in hand, is concealable, and uses the 15 and 20 round magazines for it, and can use the PPQ M1 magazines.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely check out the Walther P99 forum as already mentioned by a few members above...I'm also a member there.

Had my P99c AS .40 for about 4 years now, and usually my EDC.  I also have an HK P2000sk .40, but don't carry it as much because it's a little heavier than the P99c.  The weight, balance while holding it, shootability, and based on the overall shape, concealment is all better than the HK, to me.  I haven't cleaned it yet, and it's gotten over 400 easy rounds through it at last range session.  I have about 1300 rounds through mine without issues.

I have several compatible M1 full size mags (13rnds) and carry one with the extension sleeve as a backup mag- it's cheap too as I got each mag for $12 from Cheaper Than Dirt some time last year.
I was considering getting a couple Mec-Gar +2 baseplate and modding it to add on the stock C mags to up the round count...but I've been to busy to consider this option.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a chance to get mine to the range finally, it was just too cold to do to much with it...but I was able to figure out that just like it's full size brother, it needs grip tape or something similar as the grip, for me, is just too slick. I have a set of Talon rubber grip panels waiting for me to apply them, then I'll give it another go at the range. Beyond that I didn't really notice anything very different between shooting it and the full size, other than the grip.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#12]
The P 99, and the 99c are perhaps the most under rated and misunderstood pistols available today.

I have pretty much stopped looking at anything else in 9mm since my first P99 purchase, and now I have a total of three,  one of which is a P99c.
The 99c is a very versatile tool to have in your arsenal, it and can double as a great CCW piece and as a pseudo "full size" with the standard P99 AS magazine.
If for some reason I could only have one of them, I'd keep the 99c.

Mine have been totally reliable, and not only are they accurate, they are easy to shoot accurately, which is really important.

Why the P99 AS has not caught on in a bigger way is a complete mystery to me.

Size comparison with my PPS above my P99c.  The PPS has the 7 round mag installed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top