Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2016 7:12:01 AM EDT
I have had my M2 PPQ for about 5 or 6yrs.  I can say with confidence it has one of, if not the best factory triggers in a polymer framed pistol.  It's relatively light, crisp, and fairly short reset as well.  I'm sure if you're an owner reading this you already know.

You might ask yourself, "why would I want to change or spend money changing out a trigger that is already so good"?  

Well honestly, I wouldn't be able to answer that question before installing the Apex Forward Set trigger.

I've made several changes to my PPQ over the years.  I added a heavier steel guide rod.  This is simply a stronger, nicer part, in my head anyway.  It did add some weight to the muzzle and the pistol seems a little more balanced overall when shooting.

I changed the sights.  Several times.  This is personal preference.  However I feel the stock plastic sights leave much to be desired in a carry gun.  I consider this a priority.

I stippled the frame.  The factory texture looks and feels nice.  That is, until you try shooting with sweaty hands.  Then it becomes like a wet bar of soap.  I hated to do it originally.  But I found the various rubber sleeves change the feel and ergonomics of the grip enough to where I lost that comfy factory contour.  I tried various products like Talon Grips as well.  They do work.  But in my opinion "look" cheap and tacky.  And they also are more a less a temporary fix because they do wear out.

Then I bought the Apex trigger.  It was really just curiosity more than anything.  I wondered to myself if they could really improve upon the factory trigger.  I also thought the flat trigger face looked interesting and had been wanting to try that as well.

Installation wasn't overly difficult.  And I can honestly say in my opinion, they nailed it.  All of the good points of the trigger are even better now.  And the one "issue" I had with it vanished.  The trigger face itself has a great feel and is all metal.  The trigger pull itself is a good bit shorter and the break is much cleaner and crisper.  Now the reset is very short.  My only issue with the factory trigger was sometimes it was hard to find the perfect reset point causing an inadvertent double tap sometimes.  Well now both the break and especially the reset have a very defined "click" and feel.

The reset seems to have a stronger forward push on my trigger finger.  The tactile and relatively loud "click" make it easy to find.

That's about all I have guys.  I just wanted to share this with you because I was so impressed.

This won't be a product for everyone.  The shorter pull and reset might be too short for some to feel comfortable carrying with.  But for some of you, this will just plain make the already good PPQ truly a world beater.  The trigger is the best I've felt in all but some higher end 1911's, and in my opinion better than many of them.

I have a short video that's nothing special.  I apologize about the quality.  I stuck my phone in my bench vice and recorded it right after install.  I haven't had time to get one while shooting live fire.  But the video does show the break and reset well.  The good thing is that in actual shooting....it's even better.

Hope this is interesting, or useful for some.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#1]
That looks pretty slick! If they made that trigger for the PPS M2 I'd be all over it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks pretty slick! If they made that trigger for the PPS M2 I'd be all over it.
View Quote

Would defeat the purpose of the PPS, but whatever.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  Are really good triggers not of use in a PPS?

Not even being funny either.  Genuinely curious why you would feel that way.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:56:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How? Whatever what?

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Say what....
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PPS was designed with a heavier trigger pull for CCW safety; it's not a target pistol...read range toy. No stress induced NDs allowed.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 1:51:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

PPS was designed with a heavier trigger pull for CCW safety; it's not a target pistol...read range toy. No stress induced NDs allowed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I CCW my M2 all the time.  If anything it fixed my double tap issue with a more pronounced reset.

Having a heavy trigger pull on small pistols does not necessarily make them safer.  But what it does do is make them harder to consistently shoot well, and it takes the fun out of training and practicing.

Trigger pull isn't any lighter than stock with the Apex kit.  Just miles better.  I don't own "range toys".
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Apex IS coming out with a PPS trigger - I handled the prototype at the NRA convention.  As for range toys- not everyone needs a overly heavy trigger to make up for poor handling of a carry gun.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't generally tinker with triggers or ANYTHING for that matter in anything I carry on a daily basis. I do own a PPS for my single stack carry needs. But, if you ever find yourself in a scenario where you end up shooting someone in a self defense scenario, you better believe IT WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU if you have modified the gun in any way.

That's why. But, from a performance point of view, yes, I like upgraded triggers, and Apex has put out great stuff.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't generally tinker with triggers or ANYTHING for that matter in anything I carry on a daily basis. I do own a PPS for my single stack carry needs. But, if you ever find yourself in a scenario where you end up shooting someone in a self defense scenario, you better believe IT WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU if you have modified the gun in any way.

That's why. But, from a performance point of view, yes, I like upgraded triggers, and Apex has put out great stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you stay away from hollow points too?
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that have to do with MODIFYING firearms?
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#12]

It's all advice spoken as gospel in Gun circles yet may lack a firm basis in reality. IT WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU - care to share the many examples of this?

"I modified the gun because it enables me to shoot more accurately and safely."
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's all advice spoken as gospel in Gun circles yet may lack a firm basis in reality. IT WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU - care to share the many examples of this?

"I modified the gun because it enables me to shoot more accurately and safely."
View Quote

Not all cases will garner media attention, so that's kind of hard for me to prove to you, if you're asking me to start listing cases as most are local. Not that I think you'd change your viewpoint anyways, but ask some people who sat through some cases. The other side will use people's lack of knowledge of firearms or gun culture to paint a picture of you in a bad light. There was that case recently of a guy that had that Punisher logo on his firearm being used against him.

All I'm saying is, I don't modify my carry pistols to give Antis any ammunition in court to be used against me than itneeds to be.

I use stock pistols, and "self defense" titled ammo. Nothing stupid like "RIP ammo" or oddly named ammunition. Call me absurd.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't carry it - but it is a nice mod to an excellent pistol.

Link Posted: 9/2/2018 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#15]
What sights did you end up with on your PPQ?

I like my PPQm1, but hate the lack of aftermarket support for it.  I wish they had designed it with a mainstream sight cut like Novak or the one used on the M&P line.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#16]
It made it a perfect trigger for mines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top