Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2016 8:26:38 AM EDT
So I've been looking at picking up a NIB stainless PPK in .380. Seems like every online retailer I look at and every gun store I call is out of them. Is there a shortage or something going on with these? They're still listed on the Walther website.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#1]
They are not currently in production. They are supposed to go back into production - but the time frame is unknown. There have been several threads about this in the Walther Forum.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Was the ppk a reliable pistol?  If it was they should make it
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine is.  The problem with the 380 market is its dominated by relatively inexpensive polymer guns.  The PPK is heavy for a 380 and expensive as well.  While I really like my PPK I carry my Ruger LCP for more.  Ruger has a better trigger as well.  

The PPK is a historic piece who's time has passed.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Mine is.  The problem with the 380 market is its dominated by relatively inexpensive polymer guns.  The PPK is heavy for a 380 and expensive as well.  While I really like my PPK I carry my Ruger LCP for more.  Ruger has a better trigger as well.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of 380 seem to have reliability issues reported.....if the ppk was a reliable pistol then why not make it?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lots of 380 seem to have reliability issues reported.....if the ppk was a reliable pistol then why not make it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People won't buy it.  The 380 market right now is very crowded and almost everything out there is cheaper than a PPK.  I don't think the PPK has ever been a big seller in this country.  It has a fan base (I'm part of it) but compared to say a Smith J frame it barely makes a blip in the market.  Walther in general has never been a big seller in this country.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#6]
The ONLY thing keeping the PPK relevant is the 007 franchise. Without that, it would have faded into the niche collector realm long ago. There are MUCH better .380 pocket pistols out there for real world use.

I own a couple PPK. My shooter is a "Smith & Walther" Stainless in .32acp. It has been 100% reliable and was built outside the recall range. 32acp is a fun to shoot caliber in that little gun. I purchased it from a 007 fanatic who sold it to me unfired for 1/2 price after he found out that the "new" Bond was being issued a PPKs in .380. I just mumbled something about get a life as we completed the transaction.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Back when I bought mine there were very few alternatives.  Now they are expensive and heavy compared to the competition and since they are blow back they have a heavy recoil spring and it's hard to rack the slide compared to the competition.  Realistically their days are numbered.  While I don't envision getting rid of mine I just ordered an LCP to replace it in my carry herd.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I've been looking at picking up a NIB stainless PPK in .380. Seems like every online retailer I look at and every gun store I call is out of them. Is there a shortage or something going on with these? They're still listed on the Walther website.
View Quote

what is the obsession with a NIB gun on this site?the EE is full of used guns oeners claing less than 200 rounds fired so either we don't shoot very much & don't need a new gun or there are tons of near new guns on the EE.

option 3 is we are all liars.  go get a used ppk
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Used .380 PPK owner here!  

My stainless steel Interarms PPK has scratches all over it  It was that way when I bought it off of Gunbroker.    As I have mentioned before, it was love at first sight and the scratches don't concern me.  
It is my summer carry piece by the way.

I'd try and find one online rather than wait for the new production.  I don't care for, nor need the beaver tail on the new version as I don't get hammer bite on mine.
My preference is for the discontinued Interarms stainless steel version, but if you can find the blued German or French version, those are good ones too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I carry my stainless PPK/S in .380 still. These guns are tack drivers, very accurate for a .380. People are listing the weight of it as a negative. It is one of the things I love about mine. If you get a chance to get one I'd take it, nothing quite like them. Don't be afraid to pick up an older Interarms gun either, mine has never had a malfunction in the 20 plus years I've owned it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I carry my stainless PPK/S in .380 still. These guns are tack drivers, very accurate for a .380. People are listing the weight of it as a negative. It is one of the things I love about mine. If you get a chance to get one I'd take it, nothing quite like them. Don't be afraid to pick up an older Interarms gun either, mine has never had a malfunction in the 20 plus years I've owned it.
View Quote

I have an older PP made in 1953.  Very reliable with the right ammo. I does not like Wolf, Perfecta.  Only the expensive stuff. Lol.

Weight is only a problem if you compare it to other 380's or 9mm on the market now

IMHO. The Sig 938 is a better carry gun but the PP is a classic.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an interarms Blued 380 , a manurhin ppk in .32 and a manurhin PPKs in .22, all have been very reliable and fun to shoot. I actually prefer the .32 as there is almost no recoil. I'd love to see a re release of quality PPk pistols in .32 to put a supressor on . From what I hear .32 is very supressor friendly and sounds about like a .22. Wishful thinking on my part though. I'll probably just end up with a French PP to put a supressor on.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's reliably all right.

I've had mine since Interarms was its distributor.  I don't know how many rounds I've shot through it.  Multiple cases per year easy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#14]
For fun a few days ago I looked up the Interarms PPK I bought years ago.
GunsAmerica.com had my approximate PPK in .380 listed for Over $800.00.

Add the 8 magazines I bought for it and it's safe to say my PPK plus magazines are worth around $1,000.00

Not that I'd sell it any time soon...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#15]
The PP is still relatively plentiful, and at far less cost than a PPK.

The Manurhin manufactured/marked post war guns are the best value by far, and typically have better bluing than the Walther marked and finished Manurhin manufactured ones do.

Yes Manurhin of France made all the PPs and PPKs for many years after WW2.  The ones you see with Walther roll marks were made in France, then the parts were shipped to Ulm for finishing there.

Simpsons has several pages of Manurhin PPs in .22, 380, and 32acp, just as a way to judge the market.

The PP is larger than the PPK, but it's still not a big hand gun by any measure, and the .32s are the most fun to shoot.

And one of the best things about them all is that they are representative of the old world way of making hand guns.
Hand fitted by craftsmen, they are just beautiful things to behold.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top