Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2016 12:50:34 PM EDT
I'm just curiius how places can get away with selling these for under 300. It seems like there'd be some questionable quality but I'm not seeing any negative reviews in the reliability/shootability department. I'm on a real tight budget these days but really need to step up my defensive firearm selection. This seems too good to pass up. Are there any reservations against the PPX?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they cut costs by simplifying the manufacturing process. Like the barrel and locking block are separate pieces.

Googled this:

There are some obvious cost cutting features on the PPX.
One size fits all grip. No replaceable grip inserts for larger or smaller hands.
Use of MIM parts. For some this is the Debil but many respectable guns now use MIM manufacturing to produce at least some parts (Glock for example). I am not a metallurgist but talked with one in a bar once. He told me that the MIM process lends itself very well to parts that are designed from the start to be MIM produced. He said such parts (if constructed properly) are every bit as strong and reliable as if they had been milled and heat treated in a traditional manner.
A “One Year” warranty which is a non-sequitur if you are building or buying a quality product but does probably help the bean counters sleep at night and lowers the margins required to cover “no charge” work on a ten year old gun that may even have been abused.
The use of a three-piece barrel construction utilizing some MIM technology. Less material wasted, less machining = less cost. FWIW- the venerable BHP has been using a two-piece barrel for years and most people don’t even know that. Just a hunch- the girth of the three piece barrel is likely what drives the bulkiness of the entire slide
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
In mine it was the firing pin that broke after a couple hundred rounds. Walther DID fix it. CZ and Glock for me now. But Walther has some great triggers.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:27:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input. Seems a lot of guns are going to MIM firing pins. I wonder if that is the case here. My bodyguard has a MIM firing pin too. I can deal with the lack of warranty I think.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the input. Seems a lot of guns are going to MIM firing pins. I wonder if that is the case here. My bodyguard has a MIM firing pin too. I can deal with the lack of warranty I think.
View Quote

Actually the PPX has a lifetime warranty according to walther. My PPX runs great and is very accurate.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#5]
The cost cutting originally came from the two piece barrel, simplified trigger system, more widespread use of MIM small parts, and somewhat different material in the frame, thought now they are being blown out because Walther ceased production of the PPX.

And yes they do have a lifetime warranty.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#6]
They didn't bother with making it look good...I'm sure that saved them tons in design coats.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They didn't bother with making it look good...I'm sure that saved them tons in design coats.
View Quote

Yes the PPX is a little odd looking but the grip is very ergonomic, it's reliable, and accurate with really good trigger. The gun flat out shoots great. Mine now has dawson precision sights which even makes it better.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The cost cutting originally came from the two piece barrel, simplified trigger system, more widespread use of MIM small parts, and somewhat different material in the frame, thought now they are being blown out because Walther ceased production of the PPX.

And yes they do have a lifetime warranty.

View Quote

When did theyn announce they are ceasing production? Are they going to make something instead in the cheap gun catagory?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#9]
As I said in the other thread, it has been a while, right about the time you started seeing them for sale on CDNN for blow out prices.

That was Walther America dumping their inventory.  

It was not a big seller.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are they going to make something instead in the cheap gun catagory?
View Quote

I hope not.

All their "cheap" guns are less than stellar.

Blame their corporate parent, Umarex, for the dilution of the Walther brand.

To their credit, the guns made in Ulm are still top shelf.

The P99, PPQ, and PPS are top shelf.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#11]
For the money, it is a good gun.  I've got one with a threaded barrel and works well with my suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think they cut costs by simplifying the manufacturing process. Like the barrel and locking block are separate pieces.

Googled this:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Googled this:

There are some obvious cost cutting features on the PPX.
One size fits all grip. No replaceable grip inserts for larger or smaller hands.
Use of MIM parts. For some this is the Debil but many respectable guns now use MIM manufacturing to produce at least some parts (Glock for example). I am not a metallurgist but talked with one in a bar once. He told me that the MIM process lends itself very well to parts that are designed from the start to be MIM produced. He said such parts (if constructed properly) are every bit as strong and reliable as if they had been milled and heat treated in a traditional manner.
A “One Year” warranty which is a non-sequitur if you are building or buying a quality product but does probably help the bean counters sleep at night and lowers the margins required to cover “no charge” work on a ten year old gun that may even have been abused.
The use of a three-piece barrel construction utilizing some MIM technology. Less material wasted, less machining = less cost. FWIW- the venerable BHP has been using a two-piece barrel for years and most people don’t even know that. Just a hunch- the girth of the three piece barrel is likely what drives the bulkiness of the entire slide

I wrote that

FWIW- I believe Walther now covers all PPX with the same Lifetime Warranty offered on their other handguns.

I have had mine for coming up on two years now. A 9x19, a 9x19 suppressor host and a .40. They all run flawlessly. Seriously, I have not had a single failure with any of these guns. None of them have tremendously high round counts but they do get shot regularly. A really great value in a weapon I would not hesitate to have in my hands if things go bump in the night - IMHO.

HERE is a little commentary regarding the efficiency of manufacturing used on the PPX I found a while back.

I say buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I hope not.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they going to make something instead in the cheap gun catagory?

I hope not.

PPX was made at Ulm
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, but it was still a "cheap" gun, though lightyears ahead of the CCP, P22, and that hideous Zamak PPK/S 22 that Walther quietly dropped from production this year.

The new Ft. Smith made PPK is still an unknown quantity, as sales have been postponed by corporate in Germany over reported "licensing" issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top