Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2016 10:11:18 AM EDT
BYF 44 Mauser made p-38 serial number 828x d
The blueing has been stripped off by come idiot. It's a little beat up. My friend wants 400 for it, seems high. What's a fair price? And since some fudd already ruined it by stripping the finish I was thinking if I do buy it that I'll have it reblued and touched up as a shooter- opinions?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#1]
That guys P.38 was made in 1945 in January of that year .  $400 is not too high a price but I would need to see pictures.   On picture is worth 1000 words.  The post was P-1's run about the same price range. If you do buy it do not shoot any +P in it.  Only use standard velocity ammo. It will probably work best with 124 g fmj like Federal American Eagle or Gecco the Winchester White box 115 fmj works well too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't bother having it reblued. The collector value was destroyed when the previous owner stripped the original finish and putting more money into it isn't worth it. $350-400 probably is fair to the right buyer, but I wouldn't be that buyer myself. If you could get it for $300ish as a shooter I don't think you'd be doing too poorly if it interests you. The surplus P1s were valued about there up to a year ago, and I consider those shooters. Unmolested bringbacks and you're going to have to invest double or more for anything that isn't ragged out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd only buy it as a shooter and would not pay more than $300 for it.  
If you are going to pay more, wait till you find one that hasn't been screwed with!  
Sarge
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd only buy it as a shooter and would not pay more than $300 for it.  
If you are going to pay more, wait till you find one that hasn't been screwed with!  
Sarge
View Quote

This .... Plus the later war models were not as well built as the earlier war model ones.  I see P38's all the time going for 500-800 depending on condition.  The past weekend I saw several for 550 in very serviceable condition mostly finish wear no pitting and decent bores.  I passed as I was looking for a CZ75.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top