Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2016 9:21:46 PM EDT
I let my father-in-law borrow my PPK/s.    

Today, I was cleaning it (because he didn't have the grip strength to disassemble it after he shot it), and noticed that there was a VERY thin piece of metal protruding into the magazine well on the inside of the frame on the right side.  First off, I'm shocked that there would be a piece of metal...more like thick aluminum foil in that area.  

It will definitely interfere with the seating of a magazine unless I'm sticking a Q-tip (or something) down there to hold it flat while I seat a magazine.  If I don't, it will fold it over like a dog ear...ask me how I know this.  

Has anyone else ever had this issue or know of this issue?  Anyone know of a remedy?  I guess I'll have to send it back to Walther.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for the Q-tip fuzz in the pic on that foil piece I described above.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#2]
It almost like like that's a part of the frame that's split off?

What caliber PPK/S is this?
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that a potmetal rimfire Umarex ?  

The hammer looks like MIM.  The frame casting is full of fail.  Send it back.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that a potmetal rimfire Umarex ?  

The hammer looks like MIM.  The frame casting is full of fail.  Send it back.
View Quote

No, it's a S&W.  That piece you see is LITERALLY the same thickness as heavy Reynold's aluminum foil...and slightly more ridged. I cannot believe something that thin is in a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm certainly not a metallurgist, but it sure appears to be a piece of [finish] flaking. Very strange, in deed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm certainly not a metallurgist, but it sure appears to be a piece of [finish] flaking. Very strange, in deed.
View Quote

Oh no my friend, it's not finish.  It is actually a "wall" behind that lever.  You can see where it's boogered up.  The other pic shows the inside...that's it...nothing else in there.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Got it. The trench for the hammer/trigger bar was milled too deep.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Got it. The trench for the hammer/trigger bar was milled too deep.
View Quote

That's the smart guy vocabulary I was looking for.  

So, is there a fix for that?  Now, looking at it, it looks like that thin piece was cut and fit during manufacturing.  I wonder if this is a one off, or if several lots had this "issue."

I sent pics to and spoke to Walther and their master gunsmith was gone for the day, but he will call me tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a sometime problem with the American made stainless Walther's.
In my case, when I noticed the piece was coming loose, I simply removed the entire piece and cleaned up the edges.
Since it's in a non critical area and serves no purpose it never caused any problems in several thousand rounds.

Shouldn't happen and never saw it in a European made Walther, but to be fair the metal in that area is hair thin.

I'm not sure what Walther will do about it, but I'd wonder if when you get it back if they haven't also just removed the piece and cleaned it up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is a sometime problem with the American made stainless Walther's.
In my case, when I noticed the piece was coming loose, I simply removed the entire piece and cleaned up the edges.
Since it's in a non critical area and serves no purpose it never caused any problems in several thousand rounds.

Shouldn't happen and never saw it in a European made Walther, but to be fair the metal in that area is hair thin.

I'm not sure what Walther will do about it, but I'd wonder if when you get it back if they haven't also just removed the piece and cleaned it up.
View Quote

Saw a used American made PPK for $500.  After this thread, I will pass.  Besides, I don't need a .380/9mm Kurz.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top