Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2016 1:06:36 AM EDT
Alright, I need some insight on this.  The P99 AS model that we can purchase in the US has a shorter slide release (non-ambi) and shorter mag release (although I'm wondering now if the newer ones are shipping with the extended mag release?).  You can see the differences in the slide release in the images below...the top pic is the Euro version:

" />
" />

The Euro version is more similar to the P99 RAD with the elongated ambi slide release and extended ambi mag release.  I have found a place that imports the Euro version, but it's $900!  What I need help figuring out is whether or not I can purchase the US version and then add the elongated slide release (and possibly extended mag release) after the fact?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe the top pic is the ambi slide release version and came as part of a night sight defense kit.

Hopefully Blitzpig will chime is as I bet he'll able to answer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe the top pic is the ambi slide release version and came as part of a night sight defense kit.

View Quote

Ah...I do think the Euro version from Carl-Walther.com does have 3-dot phosphorescent sights now that you say that!  I want one real bad...Carl-Walther.com P99AS

Wish they would put the PPQ grip on the P99 AS also (in the link you can see they put the same grip on the P99 Q and PPQ but not the P99 AS???).
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
the bottom is a gen 2 it has a light mountung slot I have 2 gen 1s no rail slot but ergonomically identical one in ODgreen & one in black the top is a myth I have never seen one off the internet,

I would love to have one.  so if you find one IM me
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
the bottom is a gen 2 it has a light mountung slot I have 2 gen 1s no rail slot but ergonomically identical one in ODgreen & one in black the top is a myth I have never seen one off the internet,

I would love to have one.  so if you find one IM me
View Quote

Will do!

Here it is on the Carl-Walther.com website (2nd column from the left, 2nd row down): Euro Walther

Here is the page when you click on it: Euro P99 AS Specs Item-No.: 2689421

The picture on the P99 manual even has the top pic with the elongated slide release! P99 Manual from Walther Arms USA
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ah...I do think the Euro version from Carl-Walther.com does have 3-dot phosphorescent sights now that you say that!  I want one real bad...Carl-Walther.com P99AS

Wish they would put the PPQ grip on the P99 AS also (in the link you can see they put the same grip on the P99 Q and PPQ but not the P99 AS???).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The PPS sights can be ordered from eBay. They are the same sights used on the Euro version.

I put these on my P99 and they are dead on.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

paging Blitzpig...
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#7]
You rang?

The top pic is an old photo that really needs to go away.  Lazy retailers in the US keep using it when putting P99 AS pistols on their websites, but that version was sold only in the "defense kit" as described in a previous post.
It is doubtful it will ever show up again here in the US, and as an aside, those long slide release levers are more of a problem than an answer to one, as they really interfere with a thumbs forward grip.

All current P99 AS models have the long mag release paddles, and have for a long time.

And just because I know you are thinking about it, there is no way to convert a standard P99 AS to the ambi, Euro style long slide release levers.  The frames are different.

I really wouldn't count on seeing the long slide lever model in North America again, just my opinion here and nothing official, but P99s sell in such small numbers over here that there is little incentive to do it.
Walther has said that the P99 will not be pulled from the US market, so that is reassuring.

The P99 AS is the flagship of the entire Walther line, it's the polymer pistol they have made the longest, and it's array of trigger options, reliability, accuracy, and quality, IMHO, makes it the best striker fired service pistol out there.

I would be all in favor of giving it a face lift with the PPQ grip shape and texture though.

I still would like to see a PPS with the AS trigger, that would be sweet.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Told you he could.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey, I'm no expert by any means, I just like my Walthers and try to stay on top of what is going on.

The best info is still at the WaltherForum, lots of very knowledgable folks over there, and sometimes official types from Walther, both in Ft. Smith and at the mother ship in Ulm, post there.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:23:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You rang?

The top pic is an old photo that really needs to go away.  Lazy retailers in the US keep using it when putting P99 AS pistols on their websites, but that version was sold only in the "defense kit" as described in a previous post.
It is doubtful it will ever show up again here in the US, and as an aside, those long slide release levers are more of a problem than an answer to one, as they really interfere with a thumbs forward grip.

All current P99 AS models have the long mag release paddles, and have for a long time.

And just because I know you are thinking about it, there is no way to convert a standard P99 AS to the ambi, Euro style long slide release levers.  The frames are different.

I really wouldn't count on seeing the long slide lever model in North America again, just my opinion here and nothing official, but P99s sell in such small numbers over here that there is little incentive to do it.
Walther has said that the P99 will not be pulled from the US market, so that is reassuring.

The P99 AS is the flagship of the entire Walther line, it's the polymer pistol they have made the longest, and it's array of trigger options, reliability, accuracy, and quality, IMHO, makes it the best striker fired service pistol out there.

I would be all in favor of giving it a face lift with the PPQ grip shape and texture though.

I still would like to see a PPS with the AS trigger, that would be sweet.
View Quote

Wait, so you're saying I shouldn't hold out until the ambi Euro version comes to the US?

Thanks for the insight blitzpig!  Every time I saw that picture I felt like I should wait just in case I was able to get my hands on it.  I've wanted a P99AS for at least 10 years now...I think it's time I just sucked it up and pulled the trigger.

I'll also keep a closer eye on the Walther Forum.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:44:48 AM EDT
[#11]
My local shop sells the P99 for $650.  Is this a pretty high price?  I feel like I keep reading about people buying them from shops for at least $100 less.

Anyone know of a place online with decent prices for the P99?

Anyone know how I can tell if a P99 is a more current manufacturing run?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#12]
650 is about 100 too high.

Check Grabagun.

All German firearms have a two letter date code, just google Walther date codes for the key to translating it, and remember that there will also be the letters DE on it, that just signifies that it is made in Germany.

For instance my newest full size is coded DE BE, which means it was made in Germay in 2014

Here is the link to figure this out...  Date Codes

Any P99 AS you get from an online retailer will be pretty darned current as P99s are not imported in large numbers, but even if you got one say, 5 years old, you are still GTG.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#13]
FWIW, I saw a P99AS at the fun show yesterday that was $559 IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow, I never see P99s at the fun shows up here in NW Ohio.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wow, I never see P99s at the fun shows up here in NW Ohio.
View Quote

Not there often, but there was a P99AS compact a few weeks back. Kinda surprised me too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#16]
The compact is an excellent pistol, and fairly hard to come by, I shoot mine nearly as well as my two full size models, the only reason I don't shoot it as well is the combination of the shorter distance from the front sight to my eye, and the fact that my eyes are no longer the eyes of a young man.

I really wish they made a 5" P99 AS.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
650 is about 100 too high.

Check Grabagun.

All German firearms have a two letter date code, just google Walther date codes for the key to translating it, and remember that there will also be the letters DE on it, that just signifies that it is made in Germany.

For instance my newest full size is coded DE BE, which means it was made in Germay in 2014

Here is the link to figure this out...  Date Codes

Any P99 AS you get from an online retailer will be pretty darned current as P99s are not imported in large numbers, but even if you got one say, 5 years old, you are still GTG.
View Quote

Don't know why I missed this for so long...thanks, Blitz!
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Is there any way to tell on Grabagun what year the gun will be before you purchase it?

SKU: GAG_WA2796325
UPC:  723364200090
Manufacturing Part #: 2796325

EDIT: just sent them an email asking about it...if you know of a way to tell from the description let me know!
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Nope, but it will be current as they sell out about as fast as they get them in stock.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nope, but it will be current as they sell out about as fast as they get them in stock.
View Quote

crap, now you got me thinking about the P99C for conceal carry, instead of the full size!
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Alright, I need some insight on this.  The P99 AS model that we can purchase in the US has a shorter slide release (non-ambi) and shorter mag release (although I'm wondering now if the newer ones are shipping with the extended mag release?).  You can see the differences in the slide release in the images below...the top pic is the Euro version:

http://<a href=http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/smittyg21/P99AS%20Euro_zpswoogfxkn.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/smittyg21/P99AS%20US_zpsxznx0kzh.jpg</a>" />

The Euro version is more similar to the P99 RAD with the elongated ambi slide release and extended ambi mag release.  I have found a place that imports the Euro version, but it's $900!  What I need help figuring out is whether or not I can purchase the US version and then add the elongated slide release (and possibly extended mag release) after the fact?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

View Quote

You can't add the slide stop, because the right side of the frame has to be milled to support it...

I went through earl's repair service to get the ambi version. Cost me $730 with shipping. Took a while since it has to ship from Germany and firearm transport legalities, but it was worth it.

http://www.carlwalther.com

Link Posted: 3/11/2016 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
crap, now you got me thinking about the P99C for conceal carry, instead of the full size!
View Quote

You better see the compact version and hold it in your hand before you get too excited.  

As big a Walther fan as I am, I still sold my C pistol because the grip is too short for my hands.  By the time I added the grip sleeve and a full-size magazine, I had in effect created a regular P99, so I sold the compact model.  
No regrets - the full-size P99 is my favorite pistol bar none.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You better see the compact version and hold it in your hand before you get too excited.  

As big a Walther fan as I am, I still sold my C pistol because the grip is too short for my hands.  By the time I added the grip sleeve and a full-size magazine, I had in effect created a regular P99, so I sold the compact model.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I am worried about...I think I'm sticking with the full-size!  Jarreau, that Euro version is sweet!  Did it come with night sights for the price?  I'm so torn...the US version is $499 right now, but I've always wanted one with the elongated slide release.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That's what I am worried about...I think I'm sticking with the full-size!  Jarreau, that Euro version is sweet!  Did it come with night sights for the price?  I'm so torn...the US version is $499 right now, but I've always wanted one with the elongated slide release.
View Quote

It came with phosphorus night sights. I always stick with trijicon though, so I purchased some HD sights. U would have to get the rear sight detent, spring and screw if you choose to change the phosphorus ones. Walther arms will help you with getting those parts... I'm I leftie so I didn't hesitate to purchase it, plus the P99 is my all time favorite handgun. Get with Earl and order one
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It came with phosphorus night sights. I always stick with trijicon though, so I purchased some HD sights. U would have to get the rear sight detent, spring and screw if you choose to change the phosphorus ones. Walther arms will help you with getting those parts... I'm I leftie so I didn't hesitate to purchase it, plus the P99 is my all time favorite handgun. Get with Earl and order one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet, thanks!  Sounds like I need to give Earl a call.  One last thing I'm curious about.  Do the elongated slide releases stick out from the frame much, side-to-side, or are they pretty low-pro? (I'm thinking conceal carry...do they seem like they'd have more potential for getting snagged on something)
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Sweet, thanks!  Sounds like I need to give Earl a call.  One last thing I'm curious about.  Do the elongated slide releases stick out from the frame much, side-to-side, or are they pretty low-pro? (I'm thinking conceal carry...do they seem like they'd have more potential for getting snagged on something)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Awesome, thanks for the pics!  I have to have one now.  Time to find some things to sell.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I really wanted that Euro version, but I was able to score a brand new Walther P99 AS off GunBroker for $420!  Couldn't pass up the auction and got lucky that no one decided to bid in the last three hours.  I'm pumped!
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

IM with you on the grip being a tad too short for its girth....but all you needed to do was add a +2 extender which actually fits 3.  LITTLE bit of dremil  work and it's perfect.  14 rounds on tap is nice.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top