Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2016 4:54:31 AM EDT
Kind want to bang something new. Almost picked up a HK VP9, but it sold before I made the commitment.

How does the PPQ compare to a Glock 19 and SW M&Pc w/ Apex trigger?

Are PPQ/Walthers reliable?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  Very reliable, very solid firearm.  It's slightly bigger than a g19 which is a little easier to cc.  However the ergo's are excellent and as I'm sure you've heard before the trigger is far superior.  It's much lighter with a very short reset.   I thinks it's better than an apex trigger imo, at least the one gun I shot that had an apex trigger on it. You should go to a range and rent one, most range have the PPQ to rent.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  Probably the best pistol Walther has ever made.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like the PPQ. The trigger is great, I had the M1 version with paddle mag release, which I loved.

Only cons were the high bore axis and much more noticeable muzzle flip compared to my glocks. So much so that I sold it. Guess I'm just spoiled with how low the bore axis is on glocks and the lack of muzzle rise on my other all metal 9mm pistols.

Also had a VP9 which I liked a little better than the PPQ but honestly they were pretty even IMHO. Also apex will be releasing an APEX trigger for the PPQ soon. Looks like it cuts the pre travel WAY down. Almost want to get another just to put an apex in it

I'd like to get my hands on a 5" model though...
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Its a great pistol. The trigger is fantastic. Very accurate. The only thing, as others have said is the muzzle flip is a little greather than say, a G19. There is a guy on here that replaced his plastic RSA with a metal one from BT guide rods and he said it cut muzzle rise. I am going to try one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its a great pistol. The trigger is fantastic. Very accurate. The only thing, as others have said is the muzzle flip is a little greather than say, a G19. There is a guy on here that replaced his plastic RSA with a metal one from BT guide rods and he said it cut muzzle rise. I am going to try one.
View Quote

Yes he did.  Lol.

The PPQ is the best all-around pistol I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes he did.  Lol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes he did.  Lol.

Sorry foursixty. I remebered the name of the RSA, but not the name of the person who posted it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sorry foursixty. I remebered the name of the RSA, but not the name of the person who posted it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes he did.  Lol.

Oh...no sir...  I didn't mean to insult, or take any credit.  You did good.

My intention was not to pick at all.

As far as the BT rod, I think you will be happy if you buy one.  I want to reiterate that we are talking extra grams of weight.  I don't want to have anyone reading expecting it to be a miracle cure.  In other words, it will not turn your PPQ into a .22.

But the difference is there, and is perceptible to me.  The gun "feels" much more balanced.  I will tell you with 100% confidence that you will love the quality difference in between the stock one and the BT.  The added heft to the front is simply a side benefit.

I only want to give good, sound advice to you and other readers.

There are some PPQ videos on YouTube, and others have mentioned BT, which is why I originally shelled out the cash for one.

Like I said, Sprinco makes one as well.  But from my understanding it's a 2-piece design that utilizes a heavier spring.  That's all I know about it because I have not tried it.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]
The PPQ is my favorite striker-fired plastic gun, and I've owned pretty much all the contenders at one point or another including multiple Glocks, SIG P320s and a VP9. My current one (a Navy SD model) is also one of the most accurate guns I have in the stable. Excellent firearm.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm, I didn't know they were suppose to be so snappy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The PPQ is not really bad, just compared to a G19 is a little snappier.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100%.

Not a racegun, but by no means anything to fret over.  They are fantastic shooters.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
cons were the high bore axis and much more noticeable muzzle flip
View Quote

This unfortunately dominates the shooting experience with the PPQ.

The ridiculously long "dead" takeup on the trigger spoils the otherwise fine trigger pull to me. My understanding is the excess trigger travel was to meet some German LE handgun specification for 10mm of trigger travel before discharge. Total trigger travel on my PPQ is actually longer than a HK USP in double action. It's almost like a DA/SA trigger with a 0.5/4lb two stage DA trigger. It's very odd.

Mine was extremely accurate and easy to shoot small groups in slow fire at a paper target.

One other oddity is the magazine capacity. Its supposedly a 15 round magazine but can't be loaded on a closed slide with 15 in the mag, as the top round can't move down at all. Never seen pistol mags that require downloading before Walther (the PPS 7 round is the same).
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The ridiculously long "dead" takeup on the trigger spoils the otherwise fine trigger pull to me. My understanding is the excess trigger travel was to meet some German LE handgun specification for 10mm of trigger travel before discharge. Total trigger travel on my PPQ is actually longer than a HK USP in double action. It's almost like a DA/SA trigger with a 0.5/4lb two stage DA trigger. It's very odd.

Mine was extremely accurate and easy to shoot small groups in slow fire at a paper target.

One other oddity is the magazine capacity. Its supposedly a 15 round magazine but can't be loaded on a closed slide with 15 in the mag, as the top round can't move down at all. Never seen pistol mags that require downloading before Walther (the PPS 7 round is the same).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea what you're talking about.  The trigger pull on my PPQ isn't long at all, and I load 15 rounds with zero trouble on a closed slide.

ETA:  And I'm not saying I don't believe you.  But I do find it odd you've experienced this with yours.  Maybe mine is an earlier or later version to what you have?  I dunno.  But odd nonetheless.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:One other oddity is the magazine capacity. Its supposedly a 15 round magazine but can't be loaded on a closed slide with 15 in the mag, as the top round can't move down at all. Never seen pistol mags that require downloading before Walther (the PPS 7 round is the same).
View Quote

I have 7 PPQ 15 rnd mags and can load all of then with 15 and insert them into the pistol with a closed slide. Same thing for the 17 rounders I have. Also have 8 PPS 7 rounders and have no problems with those either.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I have multiple 15-round and 17-round mags for my PPQ also, and have no problems loading a full mag on a closed slide either.

OP, go find one to shoot and make up your own mind. Others can talk all they want about how good or bad it is - but ultimately only you can decide for yourself.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have no idea what you're talking about.  The trigger pull on my PPQ isn't long at all, and I load 15 rounds with zero trouble on a closed slide.

ETA:  And I'm not saying I don't believe you.  But I do find it odd you've experienced this with yours.  Maybe mine is an earlier or later version to what you have?  I dunno.  But odd nonetheless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found the pre travel in the trigger to be quite long too....well, compared to say the VP9...However, the overtravel was almost non existent, compared to the longer over travel on the VP9....

The new APEX trigger is supposed to reduce the pre travel on the PPQ....Having said this, I didn't find the pre travel to be an issue, however it was noticeable. I don't really consider it a con - as far as my experience and opinion goes anyway.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:42:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I found the pre travel in the trigger to be quite long too....well, compared to say the VP9...However, the overtravel was almost non existent, compared to the longer over travel on the VP9....

The new APEX trigger is supposed to reduce the pre travel on the PPQ....Having said this, I didn't find the pre travel to be an issue, however it was noticeable. I don't really consider it a con - as far as my experience and opinion goes anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supposedly the PPQ M2s have less takeup on the trigger than the M1s. I haven't shot an M2 to compare.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Supposedly the PPQ M2s have less takeup on the trigger than the M1s. I haven't shot an M2 to compare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhh..you may have nailed it.  I have the M2 and haven't fired the M1.  Might explain the mag issue as well.  It's my understanding the mags are slightly different to accommodate the button release as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a M1 and I will admit the take up for the first shot is kinda long, but it is very smooth and the break is very clean. Its almost like a conventional DA/SA, were as the first pull is long and heavy and the rest are shorter and lighter, except the pulls and break are all the same weight on the PPQ.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a PPQ M2 Navy.  Compared with the G34 I used to own, I found it much more ergonomic, with a better trigger, and I shot it much better.  I can't say it'll be great for you but I love mine and suggest you try one out.  No problem loading full magazines, don't find the trigger problematic (actually much the opposite).  Perhaps the M1 is different - I've never handled one so I can't say.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]
The Walther PPQ is very nice. It is one of the nicest pistols I have fired. It is by far the nicest striker fired pistol I have shot. The trigger is very crisp and light. I have not shot an M&P with an APEX trigger, but the PPQ has an incomparably better trigger than a stock M&P or Glock.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#22]
My experiences with my M2 5" model are similar to what others have posted. It does snap more than my glock 19, but the advantages in ergos and trigger far outweigh the downsides, to me.

Foursixty - Thanks for the heads up on the B&T guide rod. I am going to give that a try.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something must be wrong with my PPS...I've had mine loaded 7+1 for months...
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It might not be a 7 round mag, it might only be a six round mag, they have the witness holes, but you can't fill them.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't have a G19, and don't have much experience with them. A G17 was my first pistol - 22 years ago, and I still have it.

I have 2 PPQ Classics, and they are great guns. I bought my first one, put a few thousand rounds through it, and liked it so much I decided to get another one. Both have been 100% reliable with no malfunctions of any kind since day 1.

I suppose that they are a bit snappy ... but for me, this was just an opportunity to correct some sloppiness I had in my grip anyway. Since I started paying closer attention to my hands and cleaned up my grip, I shoot all of my guns better, and the PPQ doesn't seem all that snappy anymore.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Hmmm, that's too bad. Looking for a smooth shooter. As nice as it seems, don't care for a snappy practically full size pistol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hmmm, that's too bad. Looking for a smooth shooter. As nice as it seems, don't care for a snappy practically full size pistol.
View Quote

Suit yourself, but in my opinion you're missing out on a fantastic firearm.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Look at a styer m9a1 post 2013 manufacture, I've shot one and it's a very smooth shooting pistol. Only downside, no paddle Mag release
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:33:02 AM EDT
[#29]
These sure are sounding like nice handguns. Bummed I missed out on the $499 shipped deal from gunbuyer.com. Anyone got a beat on another seller at that price?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:37:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Very accurate, very reliable.... I have no regrets whatsoever in getting a PQQ.

I love it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
These sure are sounding like nice handguns. Bummed I missed out on the $499 shipped deal from gunbuyer.com. Anyone got a beat on another seller at that price?
View Quote

Uh, they still have them for $499.

Walther PPQ M1

I just ordered one last night and called my dealer this morning to get a copy of his FFL to them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

My PPQ doesn't seem at all snappy to me.  Very pleasant and accurate to shoot because of the comfortable grip and great trigger.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It might not be a 7 round mag, it might only be a six round mag, they have the witness holes, but you can't fill them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had a PPS for years with the 6, 7, and 8 round magazines and they all work as they should. You need to have someone look at your problem.

Get a "second opinion" from an experienced gunsmith.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My PPQ doesn't seem at all snappy to me.  Very pleasant and accurate to shoot because of the comfortable grip and great trigger.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm, ill wait until a HK VP9 compact comes out and compare. I love the "full size" feel of the Glock 19.

Hoping for something in that size. Wish the G19 was more ergonomic.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Took my new PPQ M2 navy out tonight.   Wow, I love it.  I think I can put the Glocks in the legacy pile now.   I don't think I've ever liked a pistol this much right out of the gate.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:24:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have had a PPS for years with the 6, 7, and 8 round magazines and they all work as they should. You need to have someone look at your problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't need another opinion.

With 7 rounds loaded, there is not enough room to load it on a closed bolt. You can barely get it to latch, and it's under tension. If you shoot it, there is a high likelihood of it ejecting the magazine due to the little ski ramp thing on the slide. The 8 round setup has enough room to function correctly.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Looking to retire my BHP from daily duty I stopped at LGS that rented guns, G17, G19,VP9 and PPQ on table

I actually was set on a G19 (I had never shot a Glock)

The glocks felt like plastic toys and uncomfortable grip for ME

The VP9 felt good and shot good

As soon as I picked up the PPQ, I smiled; it felt familiar and after first magazine I was no longer interested in the Glock series at all

I chose the PPQ over the VP9 because it was more accurate for me and the trigger was awesome and the crossbar trigger thing in the VP9 was not a good idea to ME

As for size they are all very, very close

My wife loves my PPQ and would carry one also, EXCEPT it is too big for her, she loves her LC9c though (side by side it looks bigger, it is not much bigger really)

def. shoot one before dismissing it due to internet experts...I am so glad I didn't just by a G19 because it was supposedly tier perfect...

Have fun
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

...Hmmm, ill wait until a HK VP9 compact comes out and compare. I love the "full size" feel of the Glock 19.

Hoping for something in that size. Wish the G19 was more ergonomic.
View Quote

I handled the HK and Walther side-by-side before I bought the Walther.  Walther's trigger was better and ergos were slightly better than the HK.  Ditto on what the other guys have been saying also.  It's reliable, accurate, great trigger and a little more on the flippy side for recoil.  Not stingy to the hands but just a little more flippy.  Had mine for over a year, great gun.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 6:33:32 AM EDT
[#39]
This may not hold true for others, but this is the most natural pointing gun I've had. I imagine point shooting will be very accurate for me with the PPQ. I've been quite surprised when just playing around with my aim without using sights and then seeing I'm right on target.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't call it snappy, the recoil impulse is very mild, it just has a lot of muzzle flip. By contrast the little PPS comes right back on the target with almost no effort.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:38:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

100%.

Not a racegun, but by no means anything to fret over.  They are fantastic shooters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100%.

Eh I race mine. Sort of. I mean I shoot a 5" in USPSA Production and IDPA. I don't win anything but I wasn't winning anything when I shot with a CZ or a Glock. I shot my Glock faster but it's hard to tell how much of that is me and how much was the gun because I've kind of slowed down a lot since then. I was shooting 3 or 4 matches a month now I'm lucky if I get out to a match every 2 or 3 months.

I will say this, the 4" PPQ is my favorite handgun. If I was forced to only have one gun I'd take the 4" PPQ. It's somewhere between a Glock 17 and Glock 19 size wise so it's a bit disappointing that it holds 15 when it the Glock holds 17 but the trigger is so much better on this gun that I'll forgive it because on a Glock you have to fiddle with it to get a good trigger. With the PPQ the only thing you need to do is get new sights and call it a day. Unlike the stock Glock sights that are a crime to have on a gun the PPQ stock sights are totally usable they just aren't my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#42]
I run 17 round magazines, so that is 18 in the gun
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes, it is as nice as it appears!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top