Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2015 6:40:54 PM EDT
Wife is finally wanting a carry permit and gun, something small and slim is preferred. I own a PPS in 9mm and she likes the way it feels, but has a difficult time racking the slide (first time she has ever handled it). Is the CCP that much easier that we should look into it? How is the accuracy of the CCP? I have heard the triggers are nowhere near as good as the PPS, but are they bad? And this is purely subjective, but do you feel the quality is on par with the PPS? Grabagun has PPS for $379 and CCP for $372
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a PPS myself not a CCP but the CCP is direct blow back so I would suspect the CCPs would be harder to rack and recoil will be felt a little more on the CCP.  PPS has a better trigger.  The CCP is bigger than the PPS as well.
All around the PPS IMO is a better pistol.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]
DUPE
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The PPS I think is a much better shooting pistol.

The triggers are often gritty and stiff out of the box, but trivial to clean out the striker channel and frame parts.  Trigger pull is a little heavier than I'd prefer but will smooth out with some dry fire and shooting. Shooting feel and accuracy is amazing for a compact pistol.

I don't care for the CCP trigger at all, it's long and mushy with no discernible break. Also has to be completely released to reset. There is no trigger safety, and the manual thumb safety is a disaster IMO - it's tiny and thin, and has to be rotated like 60 degrees. The CCP is easier to cycle the slide. A little lube and proper technique and the PPS would be fine though I think.

I really wish they'd make a "PPS Pro" version, just update the frame with a little different grip, straight 8 round magazine, reshaped/relocated slide stop, and a few other tweaks.

The PPS does have a unique if unintended safety feature. Almost all of the risk of unintended discharges with no-manual-safety pistols is when holstering. On a PPS you can put your thumb over the striker on the back of the slide and prevent the pistol from firing while holstering, if something would be snagging the trigger.

PPS also has the paddle magazine release, so it's virtually impossible to have an inadvertent magazine release during carry.

Bottom line, PPS is a proven and known to be exceptional carry pistol. What is known about the CCP is not encouraging at this point.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a PPS myself not a CCP but the CCP is direct blow back so I would suspect the CCPs would be harder to rack and recoil will be felt a little more on the CCP.  PPS has a better trigger.  The CCP is bigger than the PPS as well.
All around the PPS IMO is a better pistol.
View Quote

I agree. Plus the PPS is a proven design since it has been around for years. Holsters and accessories are plentiful for the PPS. The PPS is IMO the best single stack 9mm on the market and the recent price drop ($400 or less) makes it a steal.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#5]
PPS

of those two.

I also would have her handle a Glock 43 or Glock 42.  

That 42 is VERY accurate and very soft shooting.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
PPS

of those two.

View Quote

It's also a 380.

With the threat environment today and handguns that are available, I really recommend people stay with 9mm unless they just CANNOT handle one. Between the PF9, LC9S, PPS, Shield, G43, BP9CC, folks should be able to find something that works for them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Wife is finally wanting a carry permit and gun, something small and slim is preferred. I own a PPS in 9mm and she likes the way it feels, but has a difficult time racking the slide (first time she has ever handled it). Is the CCP that much easier that we should look into it? How is the accuracy of the CCP? I have heard the triggers are nowhere near as good as the PPS, but are they bad? And this is purely subjective, but do you feel the quality is on par with the PPS? Grabagun has PPS for $379 and CCP for $372
View Quote

If it was my choice, PPS everyday and twice on Sunday.

That said - have her get some range time on both. If you can, get her to test drive these as well - Glock 43, M&P Shield, Springfield XDS, Ruger LC9s. Similar footprints and price range. Even smaller is the Sig 938, but it's pricier and 1911-style controls (so steeper learning curve).

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's also a 380.

With the threat environment today and handguns that are available, I really recommend people stay with 9mm unless they just CANNOT handle one. Between the PF9, LC9S, PPS, Shield, G43, BP9CC, folks should be able to find something that works for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PPS

of those two.

It's also a 380.

Glock free household

I have a PPS and LOVE it, owned or handled everything but the G43 before I got the PPS. I was interested in the CCP for selfish reasons also (mainly because I am a gun nerd and the gas delayed system intrigued me).

G43 is not on my short list because it has no rail and no way to prevent AD with obstructed trigger. At least the PPS has the protruding striker as the trigger is pulled.

Owned PF9 and was rather unimpressed with its performance/quality. LC9 feels like a slicked up PF9.

Shield is so close in price before fixing its trigger, that I would rather her get something with mag compatibility with mine as well as holsters.

BP9CC has internal lock that I bet Mr. Murphy would love to engage, and its made in a country that's not USA or Germany.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:25:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
BP9CC has internal lock that I bet Mr. Murphy would love to engage, and its made in a country that's not USA or Germany.
View Quote

I literally begged the Apex folks for a BP9CC trigger and trigger system that would have a correct trigger pull, trigger safety, and no magazine safety or lock.

Since you already have a PPS, maintaining commonality of feel and function as well as magazines would make the most sense, unless there is something that disqualifies it for her.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Out of those two, PPS for sure man. The CCP is junk.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
It seams that PPSs prices went down even on used market. Much better gun than CCP
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Walther PPQ and wanted a smaller gun for carry, I didn't like thr grip on the PPS, but the CCP felt perfect, much like the PPQ. Had no issues with the CCP other than the safety is a little odd.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#14]
https://youtu.be/7PHh6iDKHa4
My knowledge is from Internet and handling on at a LGS.....so take that for what it's worth.

I have a PPS and love it....my wife who isn't a weakling by any means has a hard time racking it.

The CCP is 1/2 the spring resistance it feels... And I'm positive my wife wouldn't have any issues racking it.

check out the YouTubers on the CCP most of the negativity seems to be based on the take down procedures,, which seem a pain.

Other then that the CCP seems to get some pretty high praise.   I like it for what it is...a design that is more aimed at smaller framed people.....ie women.

That said I'm toying around with the idea of buying one for the wife knowing full well I'd probably carry it more then her
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#15]

I'd take most what's said on that form with a grain of salt...but I might have an ax to grind...
 Bunch of whiney asses that can't think outside a box.

Just ask what they think of pinning the PPS backstrap and watch heads explode.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#16]
PPS in fotay
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
PPS in fotay
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PPS in fotay

This ^ unless you want your wife to quit carrying. 40 in the tiny PPS frame is like catching a fastball barehanded.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This ^ unless you want your wife to quit carrying. 40 in the tiny PPS frame is like catching a fastball barehanded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PPS in fotay

Plus you are automatically -1.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Less complaints with the newer produced CCP's but the PPS is worthy of the Walther name while the CCP is produced by an airsoft company. The CCP really is a neat pistol with retarded gas blow back design. It looks good and to me feels good in the hand but it was built to a lower price point while the PPS is built to Walther standards. The CCP triggers as mentioned are pretty horrid but seems to improve a bit. I hate the zippered back magazines while PPS mags are the same high quality as the rest of the pistol. Since you are already invested in the PPS you should try and work with your wife on it. If she can't come to terms with the PPS maybe a Glock 43 would work. Over at the Walther Forums you are starting to hear of folks satisfied with their later produced CCP's. Good luck.

Official Disclaimer: SPOII may or may not own any and all firearms discussed in the last few years on this or any forums. SPOII may or may not possess knowledge or opinions offered on this or any forums discussed the last few years. In fact SPOII may be nothing but a posing imposter trying to fool people into thinking he may be a gun guy but may be or not be a staunch supporter of current or future Glorious Leader.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife has recently (finally) expressed an interest in shooting and getting her CHL. She's tiny, with small hands and not a lot of strength. Finding a handgun for her is proving to be a challenge.

I was able to shoot a Walther CCP at an indoor range yesterday, and I was impressed. I had never heard of it before I shot it, so no preconceived notions about the CCP.

The light mainspring and ease of racking the slide is what got me interested in it. I compared racking the slide on the CCP to a 9mm Shield (I have a Shield and my wife has trouble with the slide). The CCP is MUCH easier to cycle.

I liked the trigger, it's not crisp but was smooth and seemed light for such a small gun. I put 50 rounds through it and the trigger was not a problem, I actually liked it.

Recoil did seem pretty mild, but it's been a while since I shot my Shield, I wish I'd have shot them both back to back. I shot the CCP better than I do the Shield, just seemed to be easy to shoot the CCP well, especially rapid fire. In fact I got a visit from the range owner after rapid firing 8 rounds. He wanted to fuss at me, but saw a tight group on the target and said something like "OK, as long as shots aren't going wild".  

The range owner said the CCP is always the most popular of his rental Guns with the ladies. I can see why. The CCP was pretty dirty and I asked how much this one had been shot, he just said "a bunch". I shot a box of Federal 115 FMJ and had no malfunctions of any kind.

I read a bunch of reviews online, and am trying to find the best deal on one now (Buds is out of stock).

On another note, I ordered a Bersa BP380CC last night. Hopefully momma will like this one. I have checked the biggest guns shops around here and can't find any of the Bersa BP series in stock, so for the first time ever I'm buying a gun without ever seeing one.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:50:57 AM EDT
[#22]
took a lady friend to the range and she was fairly new to handguns, CCP was easy to rack for her and the grip felt very nice.  Trigger was mediocre but not awful.  Safety seemed a little odd.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#23]
To echo what others have said, the PPS is a more proven design, has the protruding striker, and a better trigger.  A PPS M2 is my everyday gun, for what that's worth, though the best way to test what's best for HER is to have her try shooting (and running the slide on) a number of small pistols.  As for the G42 and .380 in general, not everyone can handle the really small 9mm pistols, and I'd prefer (if I had one) my wife to have a pistol that she could actually practice with a bit - even if it's not in the best chambering.  I don't own the G43 any longer as it was too uncomfortable to shoot extensively.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#24]
My police officer friend has a PPS in 9mm.  He said he wished his department would allow it for off duty carry.  He really likes it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top