BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2015 10:13:27 PM EDT
http://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/ppk/ppk-ppks/
Yeah, I want a stainless PPK, and I will probably carry it
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
      I have one in .32 made under the contract with Manurhin. Nice piece, smooth as glass action.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Heavy little buggers but solid!
DA trigger is HEAVY! But for a carry gun that's good.
I need to find a decent holster so I can upgrade from a TCP
I prefer the Interarms models mainly due to the beaver tail on the Smith models. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:14:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got bit by the bug. I was looking at getting a Makarov but didn't want a new caliber. How do the 9mm clones compare to the PPK/S?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I wish there would release in 32, but I doubt they will
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Smith PPK.  Some guys don't like them because they say they had more problems with them.  Mine FTF once in the first 50 rounds through it.  Since then it has never failed in any way - probably close to 2,000 rounds now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#6]
The only .380 I've ever owned was a PPK/S.

Sold it.....and somewhat regret it. Very reliable, quite accurate with its fixed barrel and a classic design.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a stainless Interarms PPK/S in .380.

I had one in .32 about 15 years ago. I think I liked that one better (not as a defensive caliber, but as a range shooter).

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
All I want is a blued PPK in .32acp. Even the last time S&W was making them they made every combination but that. I want to pretend to be James Bond without having to spend nearly $1000 on a vintage collector piece.

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

All I want is a blued PPK in .32acp. Even the last time S&W was making them they made every combination but that. I want to pretend to be James Bond without having to spend nearly $1000 on a vintage collector piece.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the appeal of .32?
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For me, I want .32 because that's what Bond used in the movies. Which is the whole reason I want a PPK to begin with.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

For me, I want .32 because that's what Bond used in the movies. Which is the whole reason I want a PPK to begin with.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not get all the nostalgia with a better performing yet still inexpensive caliber?

Curious, but how do you know his was a .32?
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why not get all the nostalgia with a better performing yet still inexpensive caliber?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It (.32) was introduced in 1899 by Fabrique Nationale, and is also known as the 7.65×17mm Browning SR or 7.65 mm Browning. Wiki
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Mine came in a cheap plastic box . . .
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

mine came in a cardboard box of the same color and texture as the one in the movie. It has partitions for an extra mag, a plastic cleaning rod, and the pistol the box is not hinged as the one in the film appears to be. My version was built after the war under license to Manhurin for the newly reformed and reconstituted German State Police. It has a rack number engraved on the front of the grip, and brown plastic grips.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

https://youtu.be/1wA0h7VH_aA       I have one in .32 made under the contract with Manurhin. Nice piece, smooth as glass action.
View Quote
Exactly like the one in the video, SS and in .380. Made by Interarms. I have Pachmayr's on mine, though. Real simple explanation, PP first design, PPK second design making it more concealable. 1968 gun control act, banning its importation. They then took the slide and barrel off the PPK and put it on the PP, extra length grip, extra round.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

mine came in a cardboard box of the same color and texture as the one in the movie. It has partitions for an extra mag, a plastic cleaning rod, and the pistol the box is not hinged as the one in the film appears to be. My version was built after the war under license to Manhurin for the newly reformed and reconstituted German State Police. It has a rack number engraved on the front of the grip, and brown plastic grips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was a nice wood box. Looks like it has brass hinges.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#17]
The appeal of .32 in any of the Walther PP series pistols is that it is so much more pleasant to shoot.

The PP was originally designed around the 7.65 Browning (32 ACP) cartridge.  Everything about the gun was calibrated to 32, including the slide mass.
To make the PP series pistols work properly with the heavier (relative) recoiling 380, Walther had to stiffen up the recoil spring, which makes the slide harder to rack.
The 380 pistols also have significantly more felt recoil, because of their blow back action, which makes them less fun to shoot, and exacerbates the issues they have with slide bite.

Follow up shots are also slower because of the snappier recoil of the 380 compared to the 32, especially in the shorter barreled PPK and PPK/S models.

I've also felt the 32s were more accurate than the 380s in the one's I've owned.

Also for me, the fact that a fictional British spy was issued one has nothing to do with why I like the Walther PP series pistols.
The original pre WW2 guns, and the postwar Manurhin made ones have a level of fit and finish that just isn't approached by the modern versions, much less the plastic pistols so much in vogue these days.
The were hand fitted by skilled craftsmen, and to me that is worth the premium the older guns command.

I have nothing against the modern polymer framed guns, I own many of them, but they are just functional appliances in comparison to the old world made Walther PP series guns.

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the one in the movie probably was wood, and hinged. Mine is not a commercial model, it was probably shipped directly to the German State Police.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:04:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Pretty amazing design with quite a track record.  I have an Interarms (shown below) and a S&W both, and they are extremely reliable and accurate little pistols.  Since I didn't feel a bit bad about sawing away on the stainless Smith & Wesson, I took all the sharp edges off it with a stone and now it is much more hand-friendly.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#20]
That is a beautiful pistol.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pretty amazing design with quite a track record.  I have an Interarms (shown below) and a S&W both, and they are extremely reliable and accurate little pistols.  Since I didn't feel a bit bad about sawing away on the stainless Smith & Wesson, I took all the sharp edges off it with a stone and now it is much more hand-friendly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/Guevera/5dd605b3_zpsf05b8d66.jpg
View Quote

I have a SW PPK/S in stainless also.  Great little gun.  I wasn't so nice to mine and used a file and sandpaper on it to round up the square edges especially around the backstrap area.  It really rubbed my thumb at the joint.  Not bad at all now!
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had a couple, a S&W and an Interarms.  They are big and heavy compared to newer .380 mouse guns, but there is just something about them.  They feel like a fine pocket watch when you hold one.  The heft and the simplicity of the design are appealing.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the new Ft Smith PPK and PPK/S come out.  Supposedly they are going to have the enlarged "beavertail" that Smith did.  Makes them easier to shoot without getting train tracks, but messes up the lines.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a Smith PPK.  Some guys don't like them because they say they had more problems with them.  Mine FTF once in the first 50 rounds through it.  Since then it has never failed in any way - probably close to 2,000 rounds now.
View Quote

Similar experience, I bought mine (a .32) for half-price from a friend who said it was a "piece of junk". It was outside the recall # range so I cleaned it-shot it-repeat for about 10 mags with occasional failure to feed. After that break-in it has run like a champ ever since.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I can never find a new one that is blued instead of stainless.  Seems they mainly import the stainless model.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#25]
They have not imported any PPK~PPK/S for decades.

From what I have seen on the Walther Forum, all the new ones that are going to be built in Ft. Smith will be stainless steel.

Probably only in .380 as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

From what I have seen on the Walther Forum, all the new ones that are going to be built in Ft. Smith will be stainless steel.

View Quote

Well that sucks, I guess I will have to find an old one.  Problem is the prices are getting absurd and for that kinda coin, I rather have a P232.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

RSR is showing SKU's for stainless and black.  All .380.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

SOG imported a bunch of .32 PPk/s about  a decade ago, Most if not all were from the Mannhurin plant. They were Staatliche Polizei trade ins.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure those are the new Ft. Smith production SKUs and not the old S&W made pistols?

Ft. Smith is not in full production yet as far as I know.

Sadly the 32 is dead as far as any future production goes.

Get a good used PP in 32 and be happy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are you sure those are the new Ft. Smith production SKUs and not the old S&W made pistols?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are the new Ft Smith PPK and PPK/S. RSR doesn't carry S&W, and these SKU's went live just a few weeks ago. Lipsey's went live with the same SKU's around the same time.

They are in production and will likely be released around SHOT or shortly thereafter.  The timeframe given was "this winter."  Waltherforums has someone from Walther posting there and he put up photos of slides in early machining.  Site is down at the moment so I can't link to it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Ah...  thanks.

I did see the pics of the new slides, I am a member there as well.

They have been down most of the day.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is a German 380 PPK and it came in a sort of alligator textured maroon cardboard box. Made in 1967.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#33]
A PPK of that vintage was actually made by Manurhin in France, then shipped to Walther in Ulm for roll marking, heat treating, bluing, final assembly and proofing.

Because they were assembeled in Ulm they can say Made In Germany.

The Manurhin made PP series pistols are second only to the pre war Zella Mellis produced pistols in terms of fit, finish and quality.

Then would come the Interarms guns, then finally the ones made by S&W at Houlton.

I would love to see the Ft. Smith produced pistols slot in between the Manurhin guns and the ones made by Interarms.

Only time will tell.

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sold it.....and somewhat regret it. Very reliable, quite accurate with its fixed barrel and a classic design.
View Quote

Same here, I've got an Interarms I've been considering selling but I'm not sure if il regret it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A PPK of that vintage was actually made by Manurhin in France, then shipped to Walther in Ulm for roll marking, heat treating, bluing, final assembly and proofing.

Because they were assembeled in Ulm they can say Made In Germany.

The Manurhin made PP series pistols are second only to the pre war Zella Mellis produced pistols in terms of fit, finish and quality.

Then would come the Interarms guns, then finally the ones made by S&W at Houlton.

I would love to see the Ft. Smith produced pistols slot in between the Manurhin guns and the ones made by Interarms.

Only time will tell.

View Quote

I've had a S&W and an Interarms. Thinking of getting a Manurhin next. They can be had for a good price still, simply because folks who don't know much about them balk at the French thing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

For a range toy, .32acp is WAAAAYYY more fun than .380 in the PPK
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine is the same. First mag I was thinking I had made a mistake. After that I have run ~700 rounds through it without a failure of any kind

I bought mine cheap from a 007 fanboi who never fired it. He just wanted it for the 007 connection but was chagrin to fin out it wasn't a "real" Walther.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Would love a blued one in 32. Will probably end up with a 380 since they won't be making a 32. Maybe a stainless. Excited that they are rereleasing it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Same here, I've got an Interarms I've been considering selling but I'm not sure if il regret it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will.  

On another note...variety is the spice of life.  

I'm down for a new manufacture PPK to thump on given the right price...even if it doesn't say Made in Germany.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You will.  

http://i.imgur.com/pFrl3Eo.jpg

I'm down for a new manufacture PPK to thump on given the right price...even if it doesn't say Made in Germany.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will.  

What is the big one closest to the camera?

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will.  

W German Walther PP in .32.  Also same as W. German .380 PP at 9 o'clock.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I regret selling mine.  It was the first handgun I bought when I turned 21 in 1983.  I shot it a lot, and that contributed to my unorthodox "left thumb over right thumb and pull down" grip.  First time I shot it the slide ripped the web of my hand open.  I sold it in the 90's, and now wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Both Lipsey's and RSR show SKU's for the new PPK and PPK/S. The dealer price is ~$540 across the board. All .380's.

WA4796001 PPK STS
WA4796002 PPK BLK
WA4796004 PPK/S STS
WA4796006 PPK/S BLK

Interestingly, I find that when I search for just the SKU on the internets, I get the following description from many different vendors:

WALTHER PPK, 380ACP, 3.6" BARREL, POLYMER FRAME, BLACK FINISH, FIXED SIGHTS, 6RD, 2 MAGAZINES 4796002 [RS-WA4796002]

I'm sure it's just a copy/paste description from their PPS, or similar, product description. At least I hope so. SHOT starts soon, I'll have someone check the Walther booth as I'm not going this year.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Both Lipsey's and RSR show SKU's for the new PPK and PPK/S. The dealer price is ~$540 across the board. All .380's.

WA4796001 PPK STS

WA4796002 PPK BLK

WA4796004 PPK/S STS

WA4796006 PPK/S BLK

Interestingly, I find that when I search for just the SKU on the internets, I get the following description from many different vendors:

WALTHER PPK, 380ACP, 3.6" BARREL, POLYMER FRAME, BLACK FINISH, FIXED SIGHTS, 6RD, 2 MAGAZINES 4796002 [RS-WA4796002]

I'm sure it's just a copy/paste description from their PPS, or similar, product description. At least I hope so. SHOT starts soon, I'll have someone check the Walther booth as I'm not going this year.

View Quote
I'm in for the update when you get it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#45]
From Waltherforums

Doesn't do anything for me.  Edges look sharp.  Back to searching for an old one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#46]
The new ones are US made. Pass.

I have a W.German in 7.65
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

From Waltherforums

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/2016%20SHOT%20Show/PPK_zpss5qvwrom.jpg

Doesn't do anything for me.  Edges look sharp.  Back to searching for an old one.
View Quote
I like it. I'm not a hardcore walther officianado though.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Any idea on when these are supposed to become available?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Any idea on when these are supposed to become available?
View Quote

Late spring/early summer is what they are saying on the Walther Forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top