Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2014 8:47:17 AM EDT
For those of you that carry a PPS, how are you manipulating the magazine release? Do you use the index (trigger) finger of your firing hand or do you rotate the thumb of your firing hand around to drop the mag?
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I actually use the middle finger of my firing hand.  I let my trigger finger rest along the frame (to help provide support to the weapon as I change mags).  Works for me, but I'm a lefty with pistols anyway so I've never used the thumb technique.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I actually use the middle finger of my firing hand.  I let my trigger finger rest along the frame (to help provide support to the weapon as I change mags).  Works for me, but I'm a lefty with pistols anyway so I've never used the thumb technique.
View Quote

Same here but also a leftie.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a righty but, I also use this method.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I do use my actual trigger finger when shooting other semi-autos with a push button mag release, but for some reason this doesn't work so well with the European style mag release.  The trigger finger resting along side the frame really helps to stabilize the gun when reloading.

This is a training issue, and I recommend you practice, practice, practice any technique you might employ.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same for my brother and I.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 1:40:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same and I am a righty
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 2:46:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Middle finger, very fast for me but I have practice with the paddle type magazine releases.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
OP....you there?

Did any of our advice help?
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP....you there?

Did any of our advice help?
View Quote

I'll try the technique, I currently don't own a PPS, but I'm seriously considering one.

I've been fondling one at a local pawn shop and was just trying to figure out the best method of operating the mag release.

Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#10]
That is the single thing I don't like about my PPS. Just feels awkward. Other than that, its a stellar carry piece.

ETA: middle finger as well...
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I use my middle finger on my firing hand.  I use the same technique when shooting my PPQ as well.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#12]
TRIGGER FINGER JUST DROP IT DOWN AND DROP THE MAG
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
TRIGGER FINGER JUST DROP IT DOWN AND DROP THE MAG
View Quote

This.

I don't understand the lack of understanding and, well, angst, over the paddle style mag release.

It's a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I use my middle finger. I like to keep my index finger safely on the side of the frame when it isn't pulling the trigger. Adrenaline and shit starts pumping and people make mistakes, I try to limit opportunities for stupid shit to happen.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't let the mag release stop you from getting this AWESOME carry gun.

I think I use my trigger, but could be my middle... (it happens fast and is kinda instinctual now) To be honest, the first time I shoot my PPS (in a given range session) I sometimes reach my thumb for a release like on my Sig's, but then immediately realize it isn't there and drop the mag with my strong hand finger.  If it take me 1/2 second total I'd be surprised.  Once you shoot the PPS a decent bit it becomes instinctive, and even if you switch platforms (like I do), it won't cost you any time if it comes to a life/death situation.  Might add 1/10th of a second to your reload

Overall the paddle release is just a quick as thumb, and may even be a little quicker.

I think it is my middle finger I use, I'll have to pay attention next time I get to the range...
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I use my middle finger. I like to keep my index finger safely on the side of the frame when it isn't pulling the trigger. Adrenaline and shit starts pumping and people make mistakes, I try to limit opportunities for stupid shit to happen.
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Yup, another vote for middle finger as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I was also worried that the paddle release would be a training issue since I have only used the standard button release but it turned out to be a natural switch. After a few slow fire drills on the steel plates I began to naturally use my middle finger to release the mags. I also practiced using my thumb like my standard release method but the middle finger seemed to be faster and felt more natural.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, middle finger. I'm a righty. I tried the thumb release but the middle finger just seems more natural and I can keep my target sighted while I change mags, can't do that effectively with my thumb. I also have an HK USP with the mag release on the lower trigger guard but right at the meet point of the frame, that is actually easier to swap with thumb.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Trigger finger
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:46:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Trigger finger
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Middle finger, unless its needed for driving. :)

Larry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top