Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2014 3:02:18 PM EDT
I just picked up a nice Walther P4 in the box @ about 95% NRA fine condition...it is a Manurhin. There isn't much online about these pistolas, and I was wondering if anybody hasd anything to offer by way of history or value or scarcity. I paid $500 for it. The Walther factory brown faux leather box is free of any importer's marks, but the pistol itself says 'Intl Dist Co. Miami Fla." it has the test target, shipping sleeve and manual in German inside. All matching numbers, with the Manurhin "mum" on the left of the trigger guard. I am too retarded to post pix at this time. Is the Manurhin made in much smaller numbers more valuable? It feels heavier than my P1 and much better balanced.Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
$500?

You stole it.

Well done.

You might want to post over at the Waltherforums, more traffic over there for a vintage piece like that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on your P4.  I purchased one in Germany back around 89' or so.  Put 1000rds thru it one afternoon with only the two 8rd mags.  Only issue I had was around 500 I had to tighten the rear sight.  After I imported it, I gave it to my ex BIL, big mistake on my part.  Nothing illegal, just a duche bag.  Only difference I remember between it and the P1 was a 1/2" shorter bbl and all the P4 had the hex cross bolt on the aluminum frames where some P1s didn't.

CD
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The P4 was a stop gap measure by Walther.
The German police were looking for a better pistol after the Olympic terrorist incident.
Walther was developing what would be the Walther P88 but it wasn't ready yet, but the police wanted a gun NOW.

So Walther did an upgrade to the P-38/P1 to give the police a better pistol until the P88 was ready.
The safety had a spring installed that turned it into a de-cocker.  The function was the same, just when the safety was applied, it snapped back up under spring pressure.

The troublesome slide top cover of the P-38 was deleted along with the loaded chamber indicator.
The firing pin system was redesigned to prevent the hammer from hitting it when the safety was applied and a hole was drilled in the hammer to further prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin when the safety was applied.
When the P-38/P1 safety was applied the firing pin was locked and the hammer de-cocked to drop on the locked firing pin.
The P4 lifts the firing pin out of the path of the hammer and locks it.  When the hammer drops, it can't contact the firing pin at all.

The barrel was shortened.

The frame and internal parts remained the same as the P-38/P1.

The P-38/P1 rear sight interlocks with the top cover and they hold each other in place.
The P4 rear sight is attached to the slide with a screw.  Contrary to popular belief, the P4 rear sight is NOT windage adjustable.

The P4 was primarily intended for German police sales, but it was sold commercially here in the US for a short time.
I wasn't aware that the P4 was ever made by Manurhin.  I'd guess they were made during the period when the Walther licensing had been discontinued and Manurhin made Walther guns under their own name.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#4]
tthe p4 is a next stepafter the p1

it has the reinforcement bar a shorter barrel and no saftyey just the decocker.  a true p-38 kutz is actually a p4 not a p-38  the p4 can use p38 mags.

th p4 would be supplanted by the p5 which has no saftey and the decocker is also the slide release.

the p4 was made in large numbers many ere made with threaded barrels for cans and shipped to merc groups in Africa.

I know wvety little about manhuirn Walthers in general.  I can't imagine it killing the collector value. especially in an age of gig ugly bilboard import marks.

I think you did good wwe need pics

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top