Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That may be true, but I'm not sure how to fix it.  I tried sanding down the outside diameter of the sleeve and the barrel nut by a touch after I saw that the entire inner diameter of the barrel hole in the slide had wear everywhere.  It still seems to rub.  I re-blued the sleeve yet again, and its showing rub marks on it all around again.  Believe me, I'm tightening down the P22 thread adaptor (barrel nut), the barrel is not loose...  With all the roll pins in the slide working their way out every time I shoot, I'm now thinking it needs to go back to S&W (something I'd prefer to avoid).

OTOH, I put the Outback back on the Ruger 22/45 and immediately hit the squirrel this weekend (something the P22/ouback combo+me doesn't seem to do).
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By jchock:
That may be true, but I'm not sure how to fix it.  I tried sanding down the outside diameter of the sleeve and the barrel nut by a touch after I saw that the entire inner diameter of the barrel hole in the slide had wear everywhere.  It still seems to rub.  I re-blued the sleeve yet again, and its showing rub marks on it all around again.  Believe me, I'm tightening down the P22 thread adaptor (barrel nut), the barrel is not loose...  With all the roll pins in the slide working their way out every time I shoot, I'm now thinking it needs to go back to S&W (something I'd prefer to avoid).

OTOH, I put the Outback back on the Ruger 22/45 and immediately hit the squirrel this weekend (something the P22/ouback combo+me doesn't seem to do).

It really does sound to me like you just got "a bad apple."

This weekend I shot 100 rounds of Green Tag through mine, shooting the little 3 1/2 incher off sandbags.  Pretty good groupings for such a short barrel and "big" non-precise sights.   Functioning was PERFECT with not a single jam or failure to cycle.

Judging by the amount of trouble you've had, I think something is seriously wrong with your gun, and I'd get it looked at by S&W.

Make sure they send a call tag, so shipping is on their dime, if possible.

Link Posted: 3/31/2005 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
wife's P22 has worked flawlessly since she bought it. she's put at least 1000 rounds through it and not a problem. saw the title of the thread and wanted to see what this was all about. sorry you all had these problems.
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By GonzoAR15-1:

Originally Posted By thebomber:
Mine worked pretty reasonable for the first 1000 rounds, then I cleaned it . Now it doesn't cylce at all. Forget subsonics. It jams every other round....POS.

I scrap it if I didn;t already have a Pilot for it.

Bomber

Not cycling at all seems to me to be a function of a loose barrel nut.  The SLIGHTEST bit of play in the barrel with SUCK energy away from the recoil cycle.

Sorry for being ignorant....what is the barrel nut?

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagged in case I have problems with the wife's P22
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By GonzoAR15-1:

Mine worked pretty reasonable for the first 1000 rounds, then I cleaned it . Now it doesn't cylce at all. Forget subsonics. It jams every other round....POS.

I scrap it if I didn;t already have a Pilot for it.

Bomber

Not cycling at all seems to me to be a function of a loose barrel nut.  The SLIGHTEST bit of play in the barrel with SUCK energy away from the recoil cycle.

Sorry for being ignorant....what is the barrel nut?

Bomber

The P22 uses a thin barrel liner inside a metal sleeve, and held onto the frame by a "nut" on the very front of the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/2/2005 11:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Tagged for future reference.
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#9]
ok i tried moding a mag....i did make it hold 12 rounds without cutting 2 and welding together
but  are kinda unreliable...had some stove pipes and one failed to feed

i may try welding 2 together if i can find a steel mag again....i have 2 stainless and 2 metal but one is modded so i need another steel one...as soon as i can fine one i will try welding 2 togeher and possibly making a 15-18 round mag
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't had any issues since I found what ammo mine likes to eat.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#11]
There are two P22s at my local gunshop...one with a compensator and one without. Given all the little adjustments needed, is it worth picking one up or should I just get a Ruger?
Link Posted: 4/18/2005 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By shogun187:
There are two P22s at my local gunshop...one with a compensator and one without. Given all the little adjustments needed, is it worth picking one up or should I just get a Ruger?

in my opinion i would say the p22 if youwant a fun factor nad if you plan on buying a suppressor ..if you want a gun thats accurate and not as fun, but still a blast get the ruger
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 3:41:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I recently purchased a P22 for my son this past Christmas.  (See Photo Here)

I'll have to admit that it was not my first choice for a .22 pistol, but it was what he wanted and I told him if he did'nt like it that he could trade it off if he wanted to.  First thing we did was install the 5" barrel and replace the backstrap for the thicker one.  That was about all the enjoyment we got out of this gun.  During the first shoot the roll pin/dowel pin on the top of the safety lever channel kept working itself out after every 10 rds.  This problem would not allow you to move the safety selector all the way to the fire pos.  Ok...no prob. we'll get that fixed.  After the next range visit, the "loaded chamber indicator" fell out at some point and we never found it.  Needless to say that was it for the both of us.  I'm sorry, but Walther fell short when it came to quality on this firearm.  I know that people have gotten "good ones" and people have gotten "bad ones", but there's just too many reports of defects with these pistols.  

We recently went to a local funshow and traded it on a H&K USP 9mm.  So "how did I make my Walther P22 not suck"....I got rid of it!  
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 3:44:56 AM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 4:15:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By babob:
I recently purchased a P22 for my son this past Christmas.  (See Photo Here)

I'll have to admit that it was not my first choice for a .22 pistol, but it was what he wanted and I told him if he did'nt like it that he could trade it off if he wanted to.

Your first instinct is usually the correct one.  You went into this gun thinking you wouldn't like it and, of course, you didn't.

First thing we did was install the 5" barrel and replace the backstrap for the thicker one.  That was about all the enjoyment we got out of this gun.

I personally think the 5" barrel is too much trouble for a plinker.

During the first shoot the roll pin/dowel pin on the top of the safety lever channel kept working itself out after every 10 rds.  This problem would not allow you to move the safety selector all the way to the fire pos.  Ok...no prob. we'll get that fixed.

When was your P22 manufactured?  After initial problems with this, Walther started staking that pin and its worked according to everone I know.   Maybe you got an "early" one.

After the next range visit, the "loaded chamber indicator" fell out at some point and we never found it.  

Did you read the manual?   The walther doesn't have a loaded chamber "indicator" that could fall out.  All its' got is a window into the breech so you can look in and see if there's a cartrige rim there or not.  

Needless to say that was it for the both of us.  I'm sorry, but Walther fell short when it came to quality on this firearm.  I know that people have gotten "good ones" and people have gotten "bad ones", but there's just too many reports of defects with these pistols.  

I'm sorry you were disappointed.  Me, I personally feel its a fun pistol for its niche, but that the "Walther" name carries some additional $50 into the purchase price that is not actually evident in the design and durability of the guns.   Once I got the kinks worked out on mine, I loved it.

Link Posted: 4/21/2005 4:40:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: babob] [#16]

Your first instinct is usually the correct one. You went into this gun thinking you wouldn't like it and, of course, you didn't.

Yes and No.  I personally did not like the pistol, but is what my son wanted and it was Christmas.  I was not the one standing there wasting valuable range time shoving a pin back in a gun that should have been properly put together in the first place.  Hell, I like to solve problems / have a challenge when it comes to things but I have never purchased a firearm that I would not trust my life to and this was the first.

When was your P22 manufactured? After initial problems with this, Walther started staking that pin and its worked according to everone I know. Maybe you got an "early" one

I don't remember the date sorry.

Did you read the manual? The walther doesn't have a loaded chamber "indicator" that could fall out. All its' got is a window into the breech so you can look in and see if there's a cartrige rim there or not.

LOL!  I'll have to agree there.  He and I have been looking at the new Ruger P345 so much lately and it does have a LCI lever that we got to thinking the P22 had one too.  Sorry my bad on that one.

Edit begins here:

I truely believe that he just wanted it due to the "cool-ness factor" and after all the wasted time pushing that pin back in he decided it was'nt cool anymore.  Oh well.  To each his own.

Link Posted: 4/25/2005 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Saw one at the gunshow this weekend.  Might be my next purchase.  

TAG
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#20]
tagged
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
By the looks of this thread I should consider myself lucky so far. I have about 1500rnds through mine with only one FTE. I've put Remingtion, Federal, Aguila, and CCI through my P22. It's been a mix of sub-sonic, SV, and HV ammo. About 1K of the rounds fired have been with an Omega on the end and still haven't had any problems even with the Aguila SSS(except for the rounds keyholing).

I've cleaned the pistol only once, and that is when I noticed the dirt was starting to slow the slide as it was going into battery. I'll probably clean it again after my next range session with it. Oh, I forgot to add that I've even had two 6yr olds shoot the pistol without trouble even while suppressed.

Beware:  A guy at the range the other day FUBARed his supressor using aquila SSS,  --- It started to yaw before exiting the supressor.

Link Posted: 4/29/2005 11:12:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jchock] [#23]
Ditto.  Phil at GemTech (from what Kel told me) hates SSS because people are firing it in bad twists through his silencers and destroying them.  I have a 1:9 twist .22LR barrel (ETA:  For the AR) specifically for firing SSS through the supressor, but even though it seems to work in my P22, I won't put the Outback-II on it unless I'm firing something that isn't the SSS...

Oh, took the P22 without the Outback-II to the range again the other day.  Firing bulk Federal HV from WallyWorld, every other shot was a stoppage again.  And the roll pin started moving on the safety.  And the roll pin for the extractor came out...  this is getting tiresome.
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#25]
tagged
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 1:20:18 AM EDT
[#26]
tagged for later
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 1:26:00 AM EDT
[#27]
tag for overhaul
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By jchock:
With all the roll pins in the slide working their way out every time I shoot, I'm now thinking it needs to go back to S&W (something I'd prefer to avoid).

I sent mine back to S&W and they got it back quickly and it shoots great now.
They replaced the slide and I'm well satsfied.
FYI.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I just got a P22. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet though.

Tagging for referrence.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 4:36:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WAMJR] [#30]
Tagged for later use
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#32]
tag.

mine sucks.

shot it yesterday, 400 rds of Federal Lightning(Red Box) and 80% of those rounds were cycled manually. Little Lady and I got too tired of cycling to bother finishing off the brick.

L serial number.
replacement AD barrel.
Lucky to get 15 rounds to go without manual cycle.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Triumph, get a couple boxes of CCI Stingers and try them.  I doubt you will have to cycle the slide manually.  Also, leave the pistol empty. but with a cocked hammer for about a week before you shoot it again.  Also make sure your magazines have the ser#s with the "-A" in it.  Those are the 'good' mags.
Link Posted: 5/28/2005 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Tagged, thinking of buying one.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Tagged
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#36]
tag
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#37]
btt
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 1:11:18 AM EDT
[#38]
WooHoo ! the latest p22's now come with stainless mags  Nice to see continual product improvement !!
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#39]
tag
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#40]
tag
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 7/4/2005 1:05:17 AM EDT
[#42]
After much tweaking & tuning, my only advice is to get a can.    I've got mine functioning flawlessly with any ammo using a can now.  It's still useless with subsonic with no can.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Just sent a check off for my new 5" bbl P-22.  I mean, for Mrs_SC-Texas' brand new P-22.

Already have NFAInvestments working on suppressors.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#44]
I picked up the 3+-inch olive darb P 22 on Tuesday and in the first 20 rounds had two FTF's but the pistol has had no problems in the last 50 rounds
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#45]
T
A
G
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:21:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SC-Texas] [#46]
Just got back from the range:

Mrs_SC-Texas shooting her new pistol

We shot over 300 rounds through the new walther without any failures.  Junk ammo and Federal lightnings.

The amzing thing was that you could hear the difference between various rounds.  Some were much hotter thanothers.

Also, while shooting it at night, there was more flash from the ejecting rounds than that coming out of the suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#47]
taggity tag tag
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Finally tried this stuff tonight. After the work, I fired 4 mag fulls without a single hang up. A personal record for this gun! Can't wait to really test it this weekend with the lil miss
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By SC-Texas:
Also, while shooting it at night, there was more flash from the ejecting rounds than that coming out of the suppressor.

Yep, absolutely.  If you want really quiet, hold the slide closed with your thumb while shooting (on the side is safest).  Visible flash == noise.  If it ain't hot enough see at night when it comes out, you're not going to hear much.

PS.  Mrs_SC-Texas is a cutie.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#50]
well, I just got a p22, and took it out to the range... WHAT A PEICE OF JUNK!!!!!!!!

I never had any gun that worked worse, out of the box.

Many missfires, not even a dent.. (failure to go into battery)

And the clip kept dropping out of the gun.  (Finaly figured out recoil was makign the gun jump and the clip release was bumping my trigger finger.

And when you go to rack the slide, you can accidentaly barely touch the back end of the extractor, and make it not work.

anything else?

I took the edge off the ears (disconector)

deburred the chamber and throat, polished the chamber, polished the feed ramp

rounded the edge on the hammer (obligatory dremmel scratch cause I didn't dissasemble slide every time I went to modify it DOH!)

anybody know somehting to touch the blackish finish up? it's sort of a very dark grey I think.

Lets see, I debured the slide where the ears were already digging into the slide. after only 300 rounds.

I thought "german engineering" was supposed to be good?  

If I could, I'd trade it back

@#$#$#$$#^#^@#$

I doubt there is anything I can do about the mag release issue, besides hold it in the uncomfortable grip, where just the tip of my finger touches the trigger.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top