Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2009 9:03:34 AM EDT
I am looking for extra PT1911 mags , Taurus has them for 39.99 each .
I am looking for something a little cheaper. Any suggestions .Do standard 1911 after market mags work ?

Sean
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#1]
1911s are sensitive to what you put in there bottoms  I mean who wouldnt!

try some chip mccormicks or wilsons make sure they have a return policy.

good luck
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#2]
look around in used bins, I was looking for some extra mags for my SA 1911 the other day and got a PT1911 mag for 12 bucks, and it works perfectly
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,

Sean
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 for McCormick.  I like their Power Mags best.  Pick them up at shows for around 18 bucks for 8 rounds, 20 for ten

Haven't had good luck with Wilson, but many ppl love them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#5]
My PT1911s run flawless on Wilson 47Ds.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#6]
My 2 cents
Chip McCormick
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I use no name mags in mine, work no problem!
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I tend not to intermingle my 1911's mags. Mags for each of my 1911's are.

Kimber custom 2 Tactical. 5 - 8rd Tripp cobra mags. (bought the trips when I discoverd the gun hates wilson mags) Now I wont buy any other 1911 mag.

Kimber CDP-PRO. 3 - 8rd wilson 47D and 3 - 8rd wilson ETM's (inharited the ETM's when I discoverd the Tac. did'nt like them.) The CDP thinks thier great.

Kimber CDP-ULTRA. 4 -7rd  Tripp cobra mags. I-7rd stock kimber. This little 3 incher has yet to have a stoppage.

Colt 1991A1 Compact. 4 - 6rd colt mags. Every once in a while she wont lock back on an empty mag, only problem.

Taurus PT1911 SSAR. 2- 8RD stock mags, 1 - 8rd C. Mc and 2 - 10rd C. Mc all work great.

I also have a bag of range mags, about a dozen 7rd colt mags and 2 7rd kimbers.

My Taurus has not found a mag it dos'nt like yet.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2009 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Got 2 extra mags coming from a member here on AR15.

Thanks
Sean
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Chip McCormick works fine in mine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Chip McCormick works fine in mine.

Agreed.  Actually, with +P ammo, I find the McCormick's are more reliable than the stock factory mags.  That's with a rather small data set, so may or may not be coincidental
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I use the stock mags plus a Kimber Kimpro Tac-Mag...All work the same...The Kimber works and fits like you would expect.
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been reading that Springfields do not like 47Ds, so after I bought a TRP, I swapped the springs and follewrs between my 2 47Ds and my 2 Taurus mags.
Now the Wilson mag bodies have stronger springs and metal followers, and the taurus mags have wilson guts.

Now, I only I can find some ammo to see what happens.

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have been reading that Springfields do not like 47Ds, so after I bought a TRP, I swapped the springs and follewrs between my 2 47Ds and my 2 Taurus mags. Now the Wilson mag bodies have stronger springs and metal followers, and the taurus mags have wilson guts.

Now, I only I can find some ammo to see what happens.

my SA loaded uses W47D's just fine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#15]
one other thing to point out is that not all "name brand" mags are the same either.
I just got 2 brand new shooting star 8 round mags off of a member here.( I say brand new cause they were flawless not a mark on them) and I couldn't remember if he said they were new or not(not flaming the seller I am perfectly happy with the mags).
first mag slid right in the magwell was a lil difficult to engauge the mag catch but still fit fine, so I loaded it to max 8 rounds and inserted it again tighter fit but that is due to the slide being foreward.
did a function test and all 8 rounds cycled just fine and mag droped free when released.

2nd mag fit was a LOT different, mag was difficult to insert with slide foreward almost had to use a screwdriver to get it out!! and after I got it out I saw scratches on the mag where it was rubbing inside the mag well.
so after a bunch of pinching the mag body with channel locks and some filing on the offending mag I finally got it to insert and drop free then I loaded it up and cycled the slide and suprise..it jammed the bullet didn't even chamber it slammed into the frame, I dislogged the bullet and tried again it worked but I still had a couple of issues with it. I found out that this was due to the follower being out of spec.
the shooting star mags use a "vee" type of follower and it needed a lil tweaking...so I tweaked it and now it seems to function a lot better.
now I gotta get to the range to give them a full function test.

on a side note: I took a mic. to the shooting stars and the mag catch opening is a lot smaller than the factory Taurus mags both in length and width so this is where the difficulty arrises whlie inserting a full mag. also when I measured the mag body with the mic. the #2 mag it did have a high spot on the corner I had to work on.

edit: I took the mags to the range yesterday and no problems what so ever with them. I ran 2 boxes of shells thru one factory, and both the shooting stars. all performed great!! I still dont like the follower in the shooting stars I may end up changing them in the future, or they may remain my back up mags for the nightstand..

so it is best to if at all possible with the 1911's try it before you buy it.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Chip McCormick's! I have 6, and they run flawless!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Chip McCormick's! I have 6, and they run flawless!

This but I don't have 6
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 2 Taurus 1911's

Chip McCormick Power Mags
or
Mec-Gar

no problems with either

Link Posted: 12/28/2009 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought the CM power 8's and they run great with no issues- and I got them for 23 bucks each
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top