Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2016 10:21:37 PM EDT
If - for example - a S&W pistol somehow fails, discharging a round that injures or kills someone, I can see the gun/gunmaker being blamed.

I know that some Taurus owners carry class (lawsuit) pistols.  If the same were to happen involving one of these pistols, it would seem to me that ALL of the blame would fall on the person carrying the gun - a gun known to have been recalled due to safety issues.

I can't imagine why anyone would choose to carry one of these guns.

Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a lawyer, but I see your concerns.  I suspect it is a much more complicated analysis. Many guns are on the market and being carried that are older and don't have the safety features.

Interesting question OP.  Maybe an attorney will chime in and answer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, good point.  My thinking is that (sadly) there will be those who will equate the failure of the safety device(s) as "a dangerous gun," which in Taurus's case could equate to "knowingly carrying a dangerous gun," despite the fact that safeties are not required.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Does the Taurus owner know about said recall? Does the owner's search history document that he knows about the recall.? Did the owner post a question on an internet forum asking if there is any legal issue with ignoring a recall he really doesn't care about?

Just yanking your chain on the last question.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:46:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Heh, no, I'm not asking for me  :)   Actually, I had been at a Taurus forum and noted people stating they were carrying this or that class pistol.  Got me wondering.

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can't imagine why anyone would choose to carry one of these guns.

Am I missing something?
View Quote

Just the hubris of people who believe it can't happen to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top