Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2016 12:44:20 PM EDT
I have a feeling this thread is going nowhere but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.

Rear sight blade on my PT99 broke and I can't find a replacement.

I tried Numrich, Brownells, and other gun parts distributors... no luck.  I called Taurus in December and after explaining to the representative that the fixed PT92 sights wouldn't fit my PT99 because the slide is different, he finally found the right part (the entire adjustable rear sight assembly) and informed me that it was on backorder and should be arriving in 6-8 weeks.  I placed the backorder and never heard anything back.

I waited until last week and finally called Taurus again.  They told me the part is still on backorder and now they have no ETA whatsoever.

The representative told me he couldn't help me and that I should start looking for aftermarket parts, which I have been unable to find.  I can't even find anyone that makes a replacement sight for this gun, let alone has one in stock.

Can anyone help?
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Does the PT-99 adjustable rear sight use two screws for windage adjustment?  I bought a Taurus Model 94 revolver for my son and when we adjusted the rear sight we just turned the right rear screw.  You neeed to adjust the left screw to ensure the blade is tight, I didn't and he lost the rear blade.  The appearance of the rear sight on the model PT-99 is very similar to Taurus revolver adjustable rear sights.  

I found that a Ruger SP-101 rear sight blade would fit the rear sight housing.  The Ruger rear sight blade is a little taller but with the Taurus rear sight bottomed out the revolver shoots point of aim at 25 yards.

Here is a link to a thread about the Taurus rear sight on rimfire central.  You might get lucky and can find another blade that will fit.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569004
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the PT-99 adjustable rear sight use two screws for windage adjustment?  I bought a Taurus Model 94 revolver for my son and when we adjusted the rear sight we just turned the right rear screw.  You neeed to adjust the left screw to ensure the blade is tight, I didn't and he lost the rear blade.  The appearance of the rear sight on the model PT-99 is very similar to Taurus revolver adjustable rear sights.  

I found that a Ruger SP-101 rear sight blade would fit the rear sight housing.  The Ruger rear sight blade is a little taller but with the Taurus rear sight bottomed out the revolver shoots point of aim at 25 yards.

Here is a link to a thread about the Taurus rear sight on rimfire central.  You might get lucky and can find another blade that will fit.

View Quote

Thanks, for that link.

I somehow broke the rear sight on my 99 back in the late 90's. Taurus fixed it for free, off and back in about three weeks.

It was a different world and a different company back then though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks, for that link.

I somehow broke the rear sight on my 99 back in the late 90's. Taurus fixed it for free, off and back in about three weeks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, for that link.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:19:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I can fix Taurus 99AF broken sight blades with a modified S&W blade. You MUST have all the parts of the old sight except the blade for this repair. Email me at [email protected]

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can fix Taurus 99AF broken sight blades with a modified S&W blade. You MUST have all the parts of the old sight except the blade for this repair. Email me at [email protected]

http://i66.tinypic.com/2exa97d.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/ih0crd.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/i5qd92.jpg
View Quote
Thanks to Cal_Smith I have a functional pistol again. He fixed me up with his rear sight modification and I'm back in business.  

Had my PT99 at the range over the weekend to test out the mods. I adjusted the sight all the way down and learned what the new sight picture looked like. I was quickly hitting the 8" steel plate at 25 yards again.

Thanks, man.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Send it to them and say you want to have fixed sights,  since the adjustable keep shearing off.
A friend did that answers was very happy after the change in slides.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks again for the business DaveyDug.  Currently the cost for this repair/modification is $85, which includes the new S&W blade and return USPS priority shipping.  Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you need this done to your PT99.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#8]
What do you guys think of switching to the PT 92 slide to resolve this problem?   More money than the fix but possibly prevents future problems.

The research I've done says the slides are interchangeable but does anyone know of any year to year variations that would make a slide incompatible?
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got my slide back from cal_smith. Absolute top notch work.

Slides might be interchangeable, or they might not. After getting my slide back, I would highly recommend sending it to him. All the work was done in a timely matter, he kept me updated on everything that was going on. Very friendly and one of those people that just make you happy to do business with. I got the slide back today and the new sight blade is a very clean fit.

If I could rate higher than 10/10, I would.

Not to mention he uses Smith and Wesson parts instead of taurus parts, so in my opinion it's going to be better than new.

Edit: is there any way to give feedback on profiles? It looks like there is a system in place, I just don't know how to access it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the kind words Matt.  I have done about a dozen of these blade conversions now, and have not heard back from anyone with a negative experience.  I did have one repair go south on me when the Taurus windage screw snapped in half upon disassembling, but luckily I was able to fabricate a new screw for the sight and get it back to the owner still fully functional.  The cost on the repair has inched up to $90 now (Jan/2018) which includes the return basic USPS shipping.  Thanks again to AR15.com and all the Taurus owners in need!  Glad I can help out, Mark.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top