Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2015 1:34:03 PM EDT
Bought a brand new PT111 G2 9mm two weeks ago.  $237.00 - $50 rebate = $187 total price out the dealer's door.  Have put 100+ rounds through it (Speer Lawman FMJ, Commercial FMJ reloads & Speer JHP's).  Had one minor malfunction in the very first 13 rounds = slide did not close completely.  One light tap on the rear of the slide with my hand fixed it and have not had any other malfunctions of any kind.  I assume the pistol just needed a little breaking in like most do.

TRIGGER: Long weightless take-up with crisp 6.0 pound Glock-like snap at the end.  Very easy to get used to.  Basically it is just like a Glock trigger pull except with a much longer initial take-up.  (Trigger pull measured with RCBS Trigger Pull Device).

GRIP:  Very comfortable being slightly wider than some due to double-stack mag capacity, fits hand very well, grip angle is similar to 1911's, Sigs, etc., has sandpaper like sections to facilitate a non-slip handhold that work very well.

SAFETY:  A manual safety is located in the usual 1911 position and operates the same way.  It is very easy to disengage quickly. I really like this extra safety in a pocket-carry size pistol.  It also has a typical Glock-style trigger safety.

WEIGHT:  18.8 oz empty without mag.  Fully loaded with 13 124gr rounds it weighs 27.3 oz. (Weighed on Postal digital scale).

ACCURACY:  Fired off-hand at 7 yards by my petite wife = tennis ball size groups dead center after adjusting sights with included tool.

SIGHTS:  Typical three dot sights, fully adjustable rear sight via included tool.

ROUNDED EDGES:  Nothing to snag on clothing except maybe the rear sight that sticks up above the slide slightly.

MAGS:  12 round steel mags for a 12 + 1 = 13 capacity.  Two mags included.  (NOTE: one of my mags was defective, returned to Taurus for free replacement.)

DIS-ASSEMBLY:  Not mentioned in instruction book, but trigger must be pulled to release slide from frame.

This is a good looking user-friendly reliable pistol with an exceptionally comfortable grip that handles recoil well.  Small and light enough for pocket carry if you have deep pockets.

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!

Picking mine up tomorrow. Everything I have seen about them has been mostly positive. Probably would be the hottest thing going if not for the "Taurus stigma" and brand image fanboys.

I own many brands, and am loyal to none. I just want the best bang for my buck!

Hope yours serves you well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
To date I have put approximately 225 rounds of standard pressure 9mm's through my Taurus PT111 G2  (two different brands of FMJ plus 124gr Gold Dot & 124gr HST JHP's).  The one and only malfunction took place during the very first 13 shots when the pistol was brand new = the slide failed to close all the way when cycling the pistol by hand requiring a slight tap on the rear to rectify the situation.  Since then it has functioned perfectly with all ammo tried, including +/- 100 rounds of low-powered FMJ commercial reloads that don't always function 100% in other pistols.

It is accurate, has a good trigger, carries nicely naked in a deep pants pocket, and points very well when instinct shooting keeping all rapid-fire shots inside a 4" circle at 10' exactly where I'm looking.  (My style of "instinct shooting" = drawing and shooting two-handed rapid fire with pistol positioned about half way between waist-level and eye-level while focusing 100% on the target not the pistol.)

NOTE:  I don't like to use +P ammo in small lightweight pocket pistols, therefore did not test this pistol with +P.

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
i own one of these also, i think its a great buy....
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you had any issues with it loading the first round of HST's? Mine will hang the round on the feed ramp occasionally  if you drop the slide using the slide stop.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought some hollow points, Sig V Crowns I think, and I have the same problem.

On a loaded magazine, when I hit the slide release, the jhp round occasionally doesn't slide up the feed ramp and into the chamber/barrel.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Do they take the old S&W magazines?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No, but they take Sig 226 mags, all sizes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Ah, thanks.  Been wondering, knew they hadn't come up w/ a mag design on their own.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't know that!
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Didn't know that!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't know that!

Thanks!  I just got back from the funshow............picked up a used one ,good to know.
I also did not know about the second strike thing,until 5 min. ago.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:58:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I own 2 of these G2s.... One has about 800 rds and the other about 400 rds

Both have been 100% reliable with several types of ball ammo 115g- 147g and Federal HST and Gold Dots

Pleasantly surprised
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm glad to see some good reviews on this as I was just looking at one at my LGS. The price seems a little high at $302 but it is a little mom and pop shop here in town and the owner is a great guy, I really prefer helping out my LGS than saving a few bucks ordering online.

Anyways, the gun felt great in my hand, not to thick considering it is a double stack (I have a glock 30 so anything is thin in comparison). I like that it has a thumb safety. This will be my carry gun IWB so this works out great. I'm good with carrying 9mm, probably HST as that is what I have in everything else. 9mm is not the best mm but it will do the job if ever needed.

I will probably go back Tuesday as he is closed Sunday and Monday and put it on layaway or just buy it outright, depends on what other goodies I find that I just have to have. My monthly fun stuff fund is pretty depleted this month!

Good to see others having good luck with the G2, just made my decision that much easier. Thanks!

Vic
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm glad to see some good reviews on this as I was just looking at one at my LGS. The price seems a little high at $302 but it is a little mom and pop shop here in town and the owner is a great guy, I really prefer helping out my LGS than saving a few bucks ordering online.

Anyways, the gun felt great in my hand, not to thick considering it is a double stack (I have a glock 30 so anything is thin in comparison). I like that it has a thumb safety. This will be my carry gun IWB so this works out great. I'm good with carrying 9mm, probably HST as that is what I have in everything else. 9mm is not the best mm but it will do the job if ever needed.

I will probably go back Tuesday as he is closed Sunday and Monday and put it on layaway or just buy it outright, depends on what other goodies I find that I just have to have. My monthly fun stuff fund is pretty depleted this month!

Good to see others having good luck with the G2, just made my decision that much easier. Thanks!

Vic
View Quote

Look around a bit first. These guns were being sold for as low as $199 this time last year. I bought mine at Market Hall in Dallas for $230 out the door. Bargains to be had if you can find one.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Look around a bit first. These guns were being sold for as low as $199 this time last year. I bought mine at Market Hall in Dallas for $230 out the door. Bargains to be had if you can find one.

http://youtu.be/MH3tJrK2ma4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

http://youtu.be/MH3tJrK2ma4

Wow, that is quite a spread in price. I may just have to look at some of the other local places I frequent.  Thank you for posting the video, can't beat a good Hickok45 review!
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes Palmetto State Armory has them for $199 all the time.

$230 otd is pretty good. I would fo at that price. $300+ not so much.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Have you had any issues with it loading the first round of HST's? Mine will hang the round on the feed ramp occasionally  if you drop the slide using the slide stop.
View Quote

Yes.  I have recently found that some JHP's will not chamber correctly when dropping the slide by hand or when using the slide stop due to the sharp edge of the JHP,s snagging on the left edge of the loading ramp.  I have switched to FMJ ammo and similar round-nosed soft points for 100% reliability.  Never had a similar JHP malfunction when actually firing, but better safe than sorry with a self-defense pistol.

ADDENDUM:   After studying the malfunctions closely it appears they are the result of one mag being defective.  One mag tries to load the rounds very slightly off-center to the left.  This causes the sharp front leading edges of JHP's to snag on the left edge of the loading ramp.  The other mag that came with the pistol loads the rounds dead center and is 100% reliable with all ammo including JHP's.  

Anyone experiencing this problem should contact Taurus for replacement mags.

ADDENDUM II:  Taurus just sent me a new replacement mag that works perfectly with HST JHP's.  Lightning fast service = less than one week turn around door-to-door.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine has been great, very pleased with it. I recently installed a fiber optic front sight. I used a (Truglo Long Bead Fiber Optic Sight Universal Green, about $14) one for it. The only hard part was grinding down the factory screw to shorten it enough to get it tight. The screw is tiny and easy to lose. I also upgraded to a steel guide rod that's sold by Lakeline LLC. Easy to put together, and it seems to have eliminated the "weak spot" on the PT!!!. I kept the original one as a spare. If I go shooting Tuesday, I will pass 1000 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

I have a Gen 1 PT-111 9mm with over 2K rounds. No malfunctions with assorted FMJs and HPs.

Even picked up a complete upper assembly on gunbroker for like $30 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Taurus doing a rebate?  Link please?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Gen 1 was doing recalls.....I got a new one for my old one.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Canik tp9 mag fit too and will fire just not lock the slide back on last round
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Great Gun. Got 1000 rounds thru mine with only1-2 failures. Link below for some aftermarket night or fiber optic sights that are very reasonable.
https://lakelinellc.com/product-category/taurus-pistol-parts-and-accessories/taurus-sights/

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I purchased one back in June.  I wish I could of found the $199 price point.  I paid $299 for mine.
Oh yea, I did get a six shot Heritage single action revolver thrown in for free.  It was the fathers day deal at
Academy.  

I have had zero issues thus far.  I want my wife to carry it once she gets her carry permit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top