Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2015 2:38:22 PM EDT
Hello, everybody! I'm the gunsmith at a new shop in Plano, Texas, and wanted to share a discovery I made today.

So, this guy brings in a Taurus PT24/7 G2 with a strange problem - the slide locks fiercely into battery and it takes all your vital energy to retract it by hand. Take down is also nearly impossible without pulling the back plate and striker assembly.

So, with everything (finally) out of the gun, I try-fitted the slide back onto the frame to see if I could discern what was the dealio. Sure enough, the slide was difficult to move, but it got noticeably harder as I moved it into battery.

Off comes the slide again, and I eyeball it real hard from front to back, top to bottom, when I notice something odd about the slide rail, underneath in the back left corner, just aft of the lock cutout. The rail itself is curved outward, getting wider toward the rear. It's off line by less than a millimeter, but just enough to hang the slide up as it goes into battery. The slide is not bent or damaged in any way, but the slide rail is definitely out of spec, so I dress it down with a flat swiss file and try fit, going slowly until the slide moves freely along its entire travel.

This was a pretty easy fix, and something I thought it might pay to look out for on these guns.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Or...buy a _________  (fill in the blank) instead....

I like the feel of some of the Taurus guns but their execution is suspect, I'd  rather been the extra for a gun with a better reputation.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Good call on taking the time to look over the situation slowly and methodically.  Let us know how it runs!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top