Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/27/2015 6:25:48 PM EDT
Saw this on someones Facebook feed.   Thought I would post here in case anyone feels they may have an affected gun.

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/guns/taurus-agrees-to-39-million-settlement-in-defective-pistol-case/

ETA...A Google search shows this was first reported back in May so this may be old news now.  Not sure why it is making the circles again.

Taurus Agrees To $39 Million Settlement In Defective Pistol Case
Brazil-based handgun maker Taurus has agreed to a $39 million settlement in a class action lawsuit alleging some of the company's most popular semi-automatic handguns can discharge when dropped and have a defective safety that allows the gun to fire even when it's engaged.

Settlement could include as many as 100,000 Taurus semi-autos

Brazil-based handgun maker Forjas Taurus SA has agreed to a $39 million settlement in a class action lawsuit alleging some of the company’s most popular semi-automatic handguns can discharge when dropped and have a defective safety that allows the gun to fire even when it’s engaged.

According to court documents filed May 15 in a U.S. District Court in Florida, the company has agreed to pay up to $30 million to owners of nine separate handgun models who opt to send their pistols back, with owners receiving anywhere from $150 to $200 for their pistols depending on how many choose that option.

The agreement also will extend the warranty for the nine handgun models, allowing gun owners to send the pistols back to have the handguns inspected by Taurus technicians and address the “safety defects” alleged in the suit. Documents show the settlement could include as many as 100,000 handguns.

The settlement also calls for a maximum $9 million in attorney’s fees.

A Taurus official confirmed the settlement agreement, arguing the company does not admit any wrongdoing.

“The Taurus Companies do not admit liability in connection with the settlement,” the official told Grand View Outdoors. “If anyone has one of these pistols, we are happy to inspect it under the warranty and suggest that they send it to us so that we can do so.”

The settlement stems from a class action lawsuit brought by Chris Carter, a Scott County, Iowa, sheriff’s deputy who alleges his Taurus PT-140PRO discharged when it dropped out of his holster during a pursuit. Court documents say the pistol had the safety engaged and a round was fired from the gun with the case remaining in the chamber.

Carter also alleged in his September 2014 class action lawsuit that Taurus knew about the defect and did nothing to inform the public or fix the problem.

“Despite actual knowledge of the Safety Defects, Taurus has never remedied either Defect, has never issued an effective and complete warning to the public or recall of the Class Pistols and Taurus continues to falsely represent to the public that the Class Pistols are safe and reliable,” the lawsuit says. “In fact, Taurus is aware that individuals have been seriously injured as a result of the Safety Defects, and it is only a matter of time before more individuals are seriously injured or killed.”

Taurus declined further comment on the case or the settlement pending a judge’s approval of the agreement.

Court documents say Taurus was forced to pay a $1.2 million judgement when an Alabama man shot himself after his PT-111 dropped to the floor and discharged in 2009. The documents also say the Sao Paulo, Brazil, police recalled its Taurus .40 caliber handguns after discovering the pistols could discharge with the safety engaged.

“Simply stated, the Class Pistols are defective and inherently dangerous, and Taurus has known about the Defects for years, but has allowed the Class Pistols to remain in the hands of unsuspecting gun owners to the imminent risk of harm to the owners of the Class Pistols and the public,” the court documents allege.

The settlement agreement covers nine Taurus models, including the PT-111 Millennium; PT-132 Millennium; PT-138 Millennium; PT-140 Millennium; PT-145 Millennium; PT-745 Millennium; PT-609; PT-640 and PT-24/7, Taurus says.

“Neither the settlement nor the allegations in the case include any of the popular Taurus G2 model pistols,” the company added.

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Inspect it under warranty

Suprised it took them this long to do an actual recall
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:15:20 AM EDT
[#2]
One of my friends 24/7 Taurus pistol came apart while he was shooting it. Not an ammo problem just a shity gun. I told him that thing was piece of junk several times prior to the incident. The recoil spring just flew out the front of the gun. He now shoots a  SA 1911. I believe he repaired and sold the 24/7.

Taurus really went cheap on the buy back really $150-200 for gun you could get double that for?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I just contacted Taurus and customer service told me they had never heard of a recall but would be glad to inspect the gun for free.....WHAT THE HECK?

I have a pt111 gen 1.......

thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just contacted Taurus and customer service told me they had never heard of a recall but would be glad to inspect the gun for free.....WHAT THE HECK?

I have a pt111 gen 1.......

thoughts?
View Quote

Get it inspected.

Txl
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Taurus has agreed to let me ship it. They deny there is a recall but told me they would pay for me to send it to them.....absolutely no cost to me....

....so.....if it is defective....I guess I get $150-200 for this.....paid $300

I will keep you posted....
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]
So back in April my 24/7 45acp Gen-1- take down pin broke off, not really a big deal, I call Taurus they say sounds like warranty send it back ok I say and send it in. Gun was there about 3-weeks I get a letter in the mail, Dear Mr. Toytruckman your 24/7 is under warranty and we will fix it. I say and go about my business....... Time goes by...........About a month later I get a phone call, ur 24/7 is non-repairable we will replace it for free with a like in kind NIB 24/7 gen-2. Ummmm ok I say send it along, I guess. ........More time goes by like like till now and still no replacement............Am I getting hosed? Will I ever get a new gun? Or money? What are my options?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Taurus has agreed to let me ship it. They deny there is a recall but told me they would pay for me to send it to them.....absolutely no cost to me....

....so.....if it is defective....I guess I get $150-200 for this.....paid $300

I will keep you posted....
View Quote

I believe your gun is on the recall list.

Txl
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So back in April my 24/7 45acp Gen-1- take down pin broke off, not really a big deal, I call Taurus they say sounds like warranty send it back ok I say and send it in. Gun was there about 3-weeks I get a letter in the mail, Dear Mr. Toytruckman your 24/7 is under warranty and we will fix it. I say and go about my business....... Time goes by...........About a month later I get a phone call, ur 24/7 is non-repairable we will replace it for free with a like in kind NIB 24/7 gen-2. Ummmm ok I say send it along, I guess. ........More time goes by like like till now and still no replacement............Am I getting hosed? Will I ever get a new gun? Or money? What are my options?
View Quote

I would call them every day until you get your gun or a replacement.  Be the squeaky wheel.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#9]
It's definitely on the recall list......it does not fire when on safety. I did not perform the drop test......

Frankly, if it is bad...send me a gen 2....then again, I just bought a gen 2 and love it...
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I apparently have been living under a rock lately ...  Only found this information because I was at my local sporting goods store and found a pt111 pro magazine at a great price and made me realize I should buy more and was trying to find out if they would fit my millennial pt111 ( found out its a gen 1) .  found this great write up using google to determine what gen gun you have

I have two millennial pt111's    I have never had a misfire  but then again they are not daily carry either.     from reading around some  people are happy to carry on .. I must admit I am hesitant to send in both pistols as I have a lot of money tied up in accessories  if they decide to hold em or not return em ..    ??? (Replacements may not be compatible with what I have already spent money on . )

Update = 30 min on hold   and a ten min conversation =

both my millennial pt111's   AND my PT145pro are effected and they are sending me a mailing sticker to send em back .     ( better safe then sorry )  .. I also inquired about all the extras I have purchased should they deem it necessary to exchange for a new model ( ie would I get credit for holsters and magazines that I have that are weapon specific )   no commitment was made but a general statement  that want to  take care of the customer!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I sent mine in July 1st...still waiting.

Their CS is lacking, nice enough, but few answers. They are replacing the gun, they don't know when, but it will be the G2 model.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine went in July 24th, where did you hear they are replacing it with a gen 2? I was told no eta and just last week I spoke to a Manager that was nice but said the courts haven't even made a finial on how they want taurus to proceed.  I would love them to send me a gen 2,  just wondering how you got your info, assuming you pushed on them?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm pushing 6 weeks.....called today...It's still in lockup to be looked at .......supposedly....

It would really tick me off to get $150 only for it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#14]
By the way, I plugged in my SN and zip to check status today and it popped up that the SN does not exist. I wonder if mine will be one that is destroyed.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mine went in July 24th, where did you hear they are replacing it with a gen 2? I was told no eta and just last week I spoke to a Manager that was nice but said the courts haven't even made a finial on how they want taurus to proceed.  I would love them to send me a gen 2,  just wondering how you got your info, assuming you pushed on them?
View Quote

Therir Web site chat. Of course they may have been just trying to get rid of me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm fairly certain mine is included with the problem.  I haven't kept up with this but is there actually a "Recall" or just send it back if you want to?    I kinda like my PT-145 Pro and not sure I want it replaced with a similar G2 model if they would even offer that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm fairly certain mine is included with the problem.  I haven't kept up with this but is there actually a "Recall" or just send it back if you want to?    I kinda like my PT-145 Pro and not sure I want it replaced with a similar G2 model if they would even offer that.
View Quote

I'm not sure of a recall, but the G2 is a better gun IMO. The grip is better, the trigger is better, the take - down is easier.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:31:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm not sure of a recall, but the G2 is a better gun IMO. The grip is better, the trigger is better, the take - down is easier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

now they just need to release the G2 in .45
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Gen 1 PT111 that has over 1500 rounds through it.
Part of my CCW rotation too.

It's even accurate and reliable.

I think I got an unicorn.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean in the Millennium series?   I'd prefer a 24/7 over the Millennium anyway.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got ahold of Taurus. My gun has been in there pushing 2 months the 6th of October. They tell me they still have it and being processed. Really, how long does this take?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Just got ahold of Taurus. My gun has been in there pushing 2 months the 6th of October. They tell me they still have it and being processed. Really, how long does this take?
View Quote

A first timer with Taurus CS I see.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Just finished a chat with Taurus, my replacement gun has been shipped. Should be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Tell us more!  When did you send it in and what was the problem/replacement?  Just fixed yours/new gen 2/ just pulling our leg.  Do tell us how they are taking care of you.........
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tell us more!  When did you send it in and what was the problem/replacement?  Just fixed yours/new gen 2/ just pulling our leg.  Do tell us how they are taking care of you.........
View Quote

I sent it in July 1st, I contacted them every week about it's progress. It was a PT-140 being able to fire with the safety on.

They had little information to give other than it would be replaced, until last week. Last week they said I would be getting the new PT140 G2, but it would be 2-3 weeks before they could clean, shoot and clean again before sending it. They said to contact again this week for an update, I did on Wednesday and it had already shipped, 2 day FedEx.

I picked it up today, took it out and shot it in the yard, only 10 rounds, but both mags worked and held the slide open. Very happy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I sent mine in early August. I called yesterday and they said they will be sending me out a new pt111.  I just bought a brand new one 4 months ago. Two of the exact same gun.....
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Legal Jargon is HERE
Yeah..there's a settlement and then there isnt??

If the Court approves the settlement and there are no appeals, the claims period will run from approximately February 24, 2016 until June 23, 2016.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Legal Jargon is HERE

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Legal Jargon is HERE

If the Court approves the settlement and there are no appeals, the claims period will run from approximately February 24, 2016 until June 23, 2016.

*edit

Taurus won't talk to me instead saying I have to go through the settlement website.
The settlement website has no instructions on how to get the shipping label.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Meh.

I'd take the $200 for my PT111 Millennium Pro gen 2.

I paid maybe $249.

I have my eye on a Sig 320.....
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Is it just gen 1 models of each?
Nope, Pro models as well, pre G2 model.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#31]
My 24/7 has been there since April. I have called may be 20 times, still being processed? I sent a letter Attn. customer service manager, last Friday expressing my displeasure. No response yet? I think I am fracked.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My 24/7 has been there since April. I have called may be 20 times, still being processed? I sent a letter Attn. customer service manager, last Friday expressing my displeasure. No response yet? I think I am fracked.
View Quote

How to use Taurus customer service

Call a few times

Send in gun a few times

Never buy another Taurus again
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#33]
This "Breaking News" about the case showed up today on TFB

So will I finally get someone to return my calls?
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm thinking of returning mine, but don't like the idea of getting less than $100 if enough people return.

Given I only paid $249 for it years back, and new G2s go for around that price, the used market for my model probably isn't that hot, though.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Bought a PT145 PRO about 6 years ago. Ran probably 1k rounds through it and then it got demoted to "truck gun". The other day the "captive firing pin spring" broke when I tried to fiddle with the Taurus Lock feature. Man what a shoddily made part for such a critical component.

Called Taurus to buy a replacement part but the rep said they don't have any parts in stock and "don't know when they will get them in". Was referred to the class action website.

So at this point I can hang onto a defective gun in hopes that Taurus will one day make more parts for a series of pistol that was defective and caused them to lose money, or I can ship it back in hopes that not enough people send them back and I'll get $200.

WTF
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#36]
No you should send it in for repairs and they will send you a new g2 gun, I just got. Mine back from July new g2 for free
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No you should send it in for repairs and they will send you a new g2 gun, I just got. Mine back from July new g2 for free
View Quote

Details?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Question for those who sent their guns back to Taurus to get a G2 replacement:

Did you also have to send the magazines?

As of right now, Taurus is not doing jack shit on any affected class pistols until the settlement is reached. I figure if they only want the pistol to be returned, I can go ahead and sell the magazines (PT145 magazines sell for a pretty penny).

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

As of right now, Taurus is not doing jack shit on any affected class pistols until the settlement is reached. I figure if they only want the pistol to be returned, I can go ahead and sell the magazines (PT145 magazines sell for a pretty penny).

View Quote

If you send your affected pistol back, Taurus will offer to replace it with a new G2 vs settlement?

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you send your affected pistol back, Taurus will offer to replace it with a new G2 vs settlement?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I seem to be hearing. A few folks here already have their G2s, but they sent theirs in probably months ago.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I got my gen 2 about 3 weeks ago. I sent it off in late July. They are backlogged several months......
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I sent in my PT145 PRO around this time LAST year for defective parts service. I was told it was beyond repair 6 mths later and to pick a comparable pistol from the catalogue. After almost a year I received a new PT92 - stainless steel. There is hope but you have to keep chatting/ calling to push the issue.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I sent in my PT145 PRO around this time LAST year for defective parts service. I was told it was beyond repair 6 mths later and to pick a comparable pistol from the catalogue. After almost a year I received a new PT92 - stainless steel. There is hope but you have to keep chatting/ calling to push the issue.
View Quote

A PT-92 is not comparable to the PT-145 Pro.   Size wise especially!  
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#44]
I know the courts favored against Taurus and required them to pay 30 million in restitution for the defective guns. But, when that 30 millions is gone, are not the gen 1's defective....and they are warranted for life.....so what happens then?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Here's the link to the site.

https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Got this update today:

This is an update for the Class Action Settlement: Carter v. Taurus, Case No. 1:13-cv-24583 in the United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
The Court has continued the hearing on final approval of the settlement until July 18, 2016.  The claims period will begin after July 18 once the court issues a final approval order.  Once a claims period is established we will notify you via email.  Additional details will also be posted to the website at:
https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/
(copy and paste the above link into your Internet browser if the link does not automatically direct you to the website)
Please continue to check the website for updates.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Just had a call from  Taurus

Swap out my pistols  for closest models  ( if no model available gave me a choice on models close )

Asked about all my magazines  and accessories for them and was told   thats not me .. but someone will call you by friday to discuss  

end result they will ship to a FFL and prepay fees for FFL ( FFL of my choice )
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Has Taurus already inspected your gun?  Who did you call to make this happen?

Quoted:

Just had a call from  Taurus

Swap out my pistols  for closest models  ( if no model available gave me a choice on models close )

Asked about all my magazines  and accessories for them and was told   thats not me .. but someone will call you by friday to discuss  

end result they will ship to a FFL and prepay fees for FFL ( FFL of my choice )
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#49]
This is just great!!!  They want to replace my 24/7 G1 with the G2 which is not on our CA Approved Handgun Roster.  It can't be transferred to me through an FFL here.  I'm just going to keep and continue to use the defective gun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Well we're about a month and a half away from what I hope is the final settlement date. I'm hoping I can just swap my PT145 for whatever the equivalent G2 model would be.

It looks like the PT 24/7 G2 in 45 ACP would be the closest thing in the same caliber. (http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=758&category=Pistol&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=)

If not that, then I wouldn't mind getting a Millennium G2 in 9mm. (http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=872&category=Pistol&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=MP1)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top