Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2015 7:13:32 PM EDT
I just got a Taurus model 66 in .357 mag 4", 1987 prod. This was my grandfathers and he doesn't use most of his guns anymore so they came to me. For a nearly 30 yr old gun, it looks fantastic.

My question is what are the value of these nowadays? I know that this was made during Taurus' "hay day" when they made great firearms. Its a nice revolver, but I would carry one for CC and would prefer a snub nose.

Thanks all
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#1]
In my area a Taurus like new model 66 blued 4" barrel would be $250-$275 wholesale (trade in) and $300 - $350 max.  Taurus revolvers are not in demand locally and generally go unsold for considerable time.   I'd consider keeping the 66 since they're generally are good shooting revolvers and because it belonged to your grandfather.  In the future you might enjoy using the Taurus as it will remind you of the time spent with your grandfather.  

My opinion is coming from a gun enthusiast with two young grandsons who may some day inherit my gun collection.  I hope they cherish my handguns in rememberance of our relationship and are passed down as family heirlooms and not a means of acquiring quick cash.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. The only reason I am even considering selling them is I have really running out of any room in my safe and I have 2 little guys running around so everything has to be in the safe. For now the are out of sight and reach but I am weary of having them not actually locked up.

I did note that its not my style as it really isn't but being there is no room in my safe, is the main reason of not keeping it. May have to invest in a second safe. Lol
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I hope you don't mindmejumping in on your threAd here. I have a brand new model 66 .357 7 shot Taurus and its never been loaded let alone fired. I've put it up for sale a few times for around $400 and nothing. I paid $565 for it so I thought $400 was a great deal. Is there anything wrong with the 66 or I just haven't found the rightbuyer yet? Again to the OP sorry for jumping in here
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#4]
No worries. After a little pursuing and investigating, I have found that around $275-$325 is the range that is typical for my prod yr and condition, but can be much lower if the condition isnt great. It also depends on the production year, but the older ones are better. The biggest reason for low resale on these I believe is Taurus' horrible CS track record.....

The model 66 itself is an excellent revolver.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently got a used 66-6 shot in stainless from my dealer. The timing was good and everything locked up tight. I paid around $270.00 out the door for it. I would keep it if I were you. They make great home defense guns that are easy to operate and are pretty accurate. The newer semi-autos made by Taurus I don't care for, but the revolvers are pretty decent. Besides it was a family gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top