Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2014 1:56:57 AM EDT
So I bought another 1911 today, awesome deal on a brand new PT1911FS from Academy. The counter guy was being a jerk in regards to letting me see a couple from the safe located a whole 5 feet away and already open, so I had little choice other than to leave(did check for billboardlessness, foolishly didn't grip/dry fire).

I get home and do some dry firing and the first thing I notice is that the grip safety seems to be hanging up on something internally. It makes an audible "click" sound when you grip it, which also requires quite a bit more effort than any 1911 I've ever handled.

Now here's the kicker, and before anyone says what a piece of shit Tuari are...my friend bought the exact same gun 4 days earlier. His grip safety feels awesome, as well as his trigger(mine is heavy, not as big an issue as the safety).

I doubt Academy will take it back, what about an exchange for the same one? What about Taurus repair policy, will they address something like this? Their description on their website claims "hand fitting", which is clearly bullshit with this clicking sound.

So, what are my options?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Send it to T. or learn how to pull the MSH and fix the issue.  Something is hanging up in there, prolly involving the sear spring.   IDK if a Taurus has some locking system built into the grip safe, if so check that.   It could be simply a poor install of the sear spring.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm betting one of the leafs on the sear spring is bent wrong or out of spec for length.  The end of the spring is hanging on the sear.  

I once bought an Ed Brown 4 fingered sear, installed it in my series 80 and shot it for a few weeks.  It was also my carry gun. After shooting on the range, I went to show my trigger work to a friend that worked at a gunshop, he takes the empty pistol and goes to dry fire, nothing, one of the fingers got trapped.   Puckered as I've been carrying the gun, I went home and took that bullshit back out and put the factory sear spring back in.

ETA-  I would try the store first if you haven't shot it.   It's the quickest.   With the very short amount of time they might take care of you.  ....might.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I did look around the inside and noticed the the far right leaf(the one for the grip safety), does have a much more pronounced bend to it. The other two leafs have a nice rounded curve to them. But since I'm not an expert on the exact "bend" that it should be, I'd rather let Taurus do it.

I don't want to try it myself only to have them say I screwed it up and then not fix it. I'm just trying to learn what the issue is for my personal knowledge. The stiff safety and trigger are also beyond my skills for a self-fix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top