Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2014 4:07:55 PM EDT
First off, before the Taurus bashers can kick in. I have just about every Sig classic there is except the P227, plus a 238, 938, and 1911RCS. So I am somewhat of a Sig nut. But I have had  other brands too, including 2 Taurus models. I had to send 4 of the last 5 Sigs back with problems. Sig promptly fixed them and returned them to me. I also have a Springfield Armory Stainless Loaded that had to go back due to feeding problems. I also had about $1000.00 of custom work done to it by SA's custom shop. I am now looking at 2 different Taurus revolvers, one is a 4" bbl, 5 shot Tracker, .44mag. The other is a Taurus 6.5 barrel Model 44, 44 mag. I am leaning toward the Model 44 for the extra bbl length & it holds 6 rounds to the Tracker's 5 rounds. This will mainly be used as a range toy, and a car gun. Any advice as to which one would be greatly appreciated. And I really don't want to hear buy a S&W, I have 3 and all are great guns. I am trying to get by as cheap as I can this time.

Thanks much,

Mark
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
44 Magun - Hell Yes

Taurus - Hell NO!!!

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.44 Magnum - Hell Yes

Taurus - Hell NO!!!

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I get the idea, you two don't Taurus. How about someone who has one and likes them speaking up, or is this just an anti Taurus forum?
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the model 44 6.5 in stainless and it's been a great gun for me. Maybe i got lucky with a good one but,I've owned it for about ten years
now and after hundreds of rounds through it i haven't had to do anything to it.

Hell besides cleaning it I've never even adjusted the rear sight on it. It's been a reliable pistol for me but I'm sure ymmv.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks much. After talking to a gun dealer who sells S&W, Taurus, Ruger, just about anything else too, he said of late Taurus is about 50/50. He told me to look around for an older Smith, and that if he were buying new he would get a Ruger. I got the idea in the first place, from renting a Taurus range gun and putting a couple boxes of ammo through it. No problems at all. But unlike yours it did not have adjustable sights. I had a hard time seeing the sights ( 60 next month) so accuracy suffered. I think I am going to go with a Ruger Super Blackhawk.

Thanks,
Mark

PS: And to the 2 others who said Taurus, Hell No, thanks for your opinions too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I just purchaed the model 44, I have nothing but good things to say about it. Have only 100 rounds through it but the recoil is so tamed due to the porting. It's extremely comfortable to shoot and well worth the money. I cant say enough about this gun, but I enjoy it more than a SW 44. A lot of people on here mock it, but most of the time they have never shot or even handled one. I highly reccomend the Taurus 44.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Save your hard earned a bit longer, and get a Smith or Ruger

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 1:04:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had a taurus tracker m44 in stainless for a little while now, 4" ported. It's a great gun, about the only limitation I see is some heavy cast lead bullet designs won't chamber, I've not found any of those yet to be a problem in my revolver -but Iam sure they are out there. Only flaw I see is that the bead blasted matte finish on the stainless mars easily. It's a tough gun, balances far better that my s&w m29. The porting is very effective, and it's overall a great revolver - I know several other people who have trackers and none of them have ever had problems -fwiw
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought s&w and the Taurus 44mags were suggested not to shoot over 240grn bullets (Taurus raging bull not included). I know s&w CS has turned down repairs caused by shooting rounds with heavier loads ( has to do with the frame construction with side plates allows frame twist) . thats why I went with a ruger and still find it amusing to stick a 340grn +p in on the last cylinder when letting people try the gun out . while I have shot the tracker 44 mag I cant say I liked it anuff to buy it. a few manufactures that make heavy hc loaded ammo will state that the oal will not fit in the tracker series. double tap 320grn and some buffalo bore ammo have had these issues with not clearing the forcing cone.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought s&w and the Taurus 44mags were suggested not to shoot over 240grn bullets (Taurus raging bull not included). I know s&w CS has turned down repairs caused by shooting rounds with heavier loads ( has to do with the frame construction with side plates allows frame twist) . thats why I went with a ruger and still find it amusing to stick a 340grn +p in on the last cylinder when letting people try the gun out . while I have shot the tracker 44 mag I cant say I liked it anuff to buy it. a few manufactures that make heavy hc loaded ammo will state that the oal will not fit in the tracker series. double tap 320grn and some buffalo bore ammo have had these issues with not clearing the forcing cone.
View Quote

340gr+P?  Never heard of that. Must be like a .45 long Colt +P
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#11]
yes buffalo bore makes them for a few model specific revolvers and rifles. the 340grn +p+ makes low end 454 power and compared to your normal 240grn round they kick pretty hard. 1400fps out of the 5.5" barrel

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a 6" Taurus raging bull revolver in 44 mag and a m92 Rossi lever gun in 44 mag (Taurus owns Rossi).  Both have been great with no problems whatsoever.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I've owned a Taurus .44mag with a 6.5 barrel in stainless for over 10 years now. I bought it so I could keep my model 29 for special occasions. There is probably 2k rounds through it and it has performed flawlessly. The finish may not be up to S&W but it's been a great gun..
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#14]
4in .44 tracker here.  no problems at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top