Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 6:50:55 PM EDT
Anyone have one of these, comments on reliability? I'm wondering how they hold up over time, after several hundred rounds, etc.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I just bought one yesterday I'll let you know how it goes. I was going to shoot today but it is raining and I don't feel like going to the indoor range and paying when I can shoot for free at home
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone have one of these, comments on reliability? I'm wondering how they hold up over time, after several hundred rounds, etc.

View Quote

I have one for a past year now, maybe 150 down range. I know, not a lot of rounds through it but it has been 100%.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#3]
About a 100 rounds out of my new one with no FTF's or FTE's. It's actually not much behind my wife's P238 in the accuracy department, though I can't shoot it accurately as fast as the 238. Sights are almost non-existent, but this is really a just a get off me gun anyway. Thinking of putting some paint on the front sight though.

The trigger is very smooth, much better than the KT's I've handled. Can't speak to the LCP, which Ruger has supposedly and quietly improved the trigger on recent production ones.

The only issue with it, and it led a couple of light strikes my first time out, is the trigger has a very distinct false reset if you're trying to shoot the reset. If you pull the trigger at that point, the hammer will fall with insufficient force to fire the next round. You must then rack the slide to fire again.

Since discovering that, I've had no issues. I just let trigger all the way out like I'm shooting my J-frame 442.

Recoil is only slightly more than the 238, which is reputedly one of the sweetest shooting .380's out there.

Overall I'm happy with it, especially since I only paid $199 for it new, and plan on keeping it. If it wasn't for the false reset, I'd already have bought another.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had one as a back-up carry gun for 3 years now.  Quarterly qualifications, which it never fails to shoot perfect scores on, even from 25 yards.  I'm probably 200-300 rounds now and not one issue.  This is really one of my favorite 380s ever.  Plus if you ever have an issue, the lifetime warranty is there (if you're the original owner, hopefully?).

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how tough this little gun is.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 3:29:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one with over 600rds through it of all types of ammo.  I have left it dirty for 3 months and 3 range sessions of 50 rds each without a hiccup.  Very accurate and a nice smooth (looong) trigger.  Being a micro it does take getting used to, but nothing difficult.  You just to spend some time with it to get comfortable with it.  The only trouble I've had with mine was Herter's steel cased ammo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Had one in the past, and (stupidly) sold it thinking a Kahr PM9 would fit the bill as a pocket pistol. (Got a used LCP to replace it.) Had no issues with mine.

Trigger is much better than the previous-gen LCP out of the box. (Have not shot a new/current-gen LCP, so can't comment on that.) Like the slide-lock after the the last round in the mag has been shot.

Don't shoot the hot Buffalo Bore rounds -- the guy I sold it to reported a failure that required an outright replacement of the pistol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I love mine. shoots great eats everything.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Have about 500 rounds through my C model with zero malfunctions. I have shot flat nose target ammo, fmj and Fiochi XTP with no issues. Always with me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got one for EDC.  Last night, I saw a vid on UTube where a TCP 738 owner said his local range had a TCP 738 rental unit that the range owner has told him that pistol had probably about 10K rounds through it, and has yet a need to go back for service - it just keeps working.  I know these pocket rockets aren't considered high round-count pistols, but hearing this was quite interesting.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had 4 altogether.  Still have three.  They are in their 4th generation.  Check the serial number.  My wife started with an A model.  Jammed all the time.  Failed to feed, failed to properly eject.  Sent to Tarus and they replaced with a C model.  No problems.  I bought a B model.  Was not consistently feeding.  Sent in to Tarus.  Fixed and fixed the mags that came with the B model as well.  I bought a C.  Works great.  All models that we still have , 2 C's and 1 modified B have about 500 plus rounds each.  No issues.  Great little gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I love mine so far.
D series.
I've shot a couple boxes of 90gr critical defense, 25 rounds of Atomic 90gr(Starline brass and looks like XTPs), and a box of WWB flat point stuff. Not one hiccup.
Can't find spare mags unless one wants to get robbed at $50 on the bay. They can't be found retail. Don't try the pro mags.  
So with one mag it can't leave the house. I carry at home all the time in a Nemesis pocket holster, it is great.  It would be a great back up gun, but for me I'd rather just carry a spare mag for my full size M&P 9.

For $200 it is a steal, only Taurus made in the U.S., life time warranty.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I have just under 1000rds in a two year period on a 738 black SS.

My gun will consistently have problems if it is not thoroughly cleaned at about every 50rds fired. I clean and oil the magazines also.

The 738 I have has been trouble free as long as it is kept clean and oiled. For some reason, the 738's choke once a carbon accumulates.

Overall, it is a nice little gun that serves a purpose. I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I have both the TCP and the LCP.  I like them both.  

The TCP trigger is longer, but I can't say it's better, although I think both triggers are fine.

I carry the TCP daily.  I've had it a couple years, and have yet to have a single issue.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#14]
OP,

I've had one for 4 years now.  I carry it frequently, and it has several hundred rounds through it (like you're asking about).  I have seen no discernible wear on the gun, finish, or anything else.  It is surprisingly accurate for such a small gun.  It does hammer the hands a big, like most small pocket guns do.

I am a very big fan of it, and the lifetime warranty of Taurus and their CS is the real deal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#15]
As others above have said, if you're going to get one, definitely stay away from the "A" series models.  They were prone to issues that never got fully resolved.  4 iterations in they are very nice so just get a C or D and you'll be worry free.  Even my B has been issue-free but it not the newest and greatest.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Can you still get a "c" or "d" blued version for $199? If so, where at?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I'm going to get one. My gunsmith and several of his clients have switched from lcps to the taurus and are happy with the switch. I have a glock 42 but it's too big really for Pocket carry. I love the 938 but don't love the idea of cocked and locked in the pocket. So for the money the taurus seems hard to beat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Only problems were FTL from extended ProMag, otherwise 100%.
Snappy shooter but accurate. I smoothed the seam line around the frame and put on a Hogue grip condom.
Hold it tight.

ETA: "the trigger has a very distinct false reset if you're trying to shoot the reset"
I've noticed this too. Mine wont fire without a full trigger stroke.

ETA: "Recoil is only slightly more than the 238, which is reputedly one of the sweetest shooting .380's out there"
Try a Beretta model 84 . . .
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I had mine out yesterday just to run a few mags through it. First thing I noticed is, like others said, the sights stink. I wonder if one could mill the front sight nub off and replace it with a fiber-optic rod or something similar?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Put somewhere near 1000 rounds through mine  with no issue (except with Promags) - added the Pearce extension for my wide hands and painted the sights with alpine white automotive touch-up paint. This really helps with the sight picture.

[EDIT:] Also, the lifetime warranty follows the gun, not the owner, so even if you bought it used, the warranty is still there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#21]
terrible in just about every way

trigger is too heavy, but mainly the
ergonomics are so wrong,
I don't even know if they tried.
grip angle? mag release placement? w  t   f

release the slide with the slide lock? good luck.

on the plus side, it usually goes bang and it's cheap as shit and has a last round hold open.

the ergos are unforgivable in this day and age, a TINY bit of effort could have gone a long way.

and can someone please tell me why the slide bearing surface project out of the rear (those shiny bits that stick out for WHAT reason????) and the two sides of the gun on the rear are slightly off center? don't believe me? think I'm too ocd?  look hard at the backside of your TCP.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you still get a "c" or "d" blued version for $199? If so, where at?
View Quote

KyGunCo free shipping too.  I missed out when PSA and SOG had em for $169...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Recently tried Hornady hollow points, they would catch on the ramp.
It looks like the bullet side is too flat.
Found some with a rounder bullet and they seem to work.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Pretty sure I am grabbing one of these for pocket carry this summer.  It appears it is one of the best .380's for the $$$.  Better trigger than the LCP and better grip than the P3AT.  I like the looks of the DB380 better but all signs point to it being an unreliable POS.  Plus the 738 is around $180 shipped
TCP for CHEAP!

UPDATE:  I got one NIB (E suffix) for $171 shipped off GunJoker
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#25]
and here it is...colorfilled
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I just picked one up Friday at Cabela's.  I put 30 rounds of Magtech FMJ w/o any issue and then it was a complete turd for the next 70 rounds, the last 50 were AE FMJ.  Accuracy was great for a subcompact, with all hits on center mass of a Q-target from 25 yards.   Ok, back to the "turd" part...4 brass to the face, 2 dead triggers(completely normal with a TCP but unacceptable), 3 stovepipes, and 50% failure to feed.   I then stripped and thoroughly cleaned the pistol.  Today, I went back to the range.  First round was ejected and then a failure to feed.  I experienced 12 more FTF out of 15 rounds.  I threw the POS in my range bag and called it a day.  This thing makes my PF9 look like a  swiss watch.  Obviously, this will be my first and last Taurus.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#27]
what is the serial suffix?  anything pre D is bad or questionable.  D's and E's are GTG
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what is the serial suffix?  anything pre D is bad or questionable.  D's and E's are GTG
View Quote

Mine is an "E"   I'm not so sure all the D's and E's are GTG, LOL.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't have one but I have two friends who do/did. One had to go back several times to Taurus with issues but did eventually work well and the owner likes it. The other friend had issues with her's jamming but it worked fine when I shot it so it may have been an operator issue.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#30]
My co-worker also picked one up Cabelas this weekend for an off-duty carry gun, same exact feeding issues!!  I just hung up on eternal hold with Taurus!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top