Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2013 9:18:46 PM EDT
My go to 9MM is my Beretta 92FS which I really love. (M9 haters go elsewhere )
Having said that, I would like a smaller 9MM for CCW. I was thinking maybe a Ruger LC9 or a Kel-Tec PF9, but the capacity of the PT 111 is very appealing.
Do they carry well? How big are they compared to the Ruger and Kel-Tec? Are they reliable? I'm not a Taurus hater, even though I know that they've had some issues and CS can be spotty.
I used to own a PT 92 that I would still have if I hadn't needed the money at the time. As always,  thanks in advance for any info.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Min'e got thousands through it.  Did IPSC with it for a couple summers (production) just to get real familiar with it.  She has a failure once in a while, but no more than any other gun.
Capacity is 12+1.  She's a little meatier than other sub-comps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive always had good luck with Taurus. The PT-111 the 24/7C and the 800 compacts are all pretty much the same size, they are about the same size as the Glock 30. I went with the 809C because it has a hammer and decocker and comes with two mags, one 13 round and an extended 17 round mag, although its hard to conceal with the long 17 round mag in it under just a shirt without it printing some.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a PT 111 MIlinum Pro. I love it. I got rid of the henie(?) sights and put on williams fire sights.  I've had this over a year and have over a thousand rounds through it with all brands of ammo including my own beginner reloads without a problem. I had a few FTE when I first bought it but once a few hundred rounds were through it and the feed ramp was broken in, there hasn't been any problems. Matter of fact I used it to qualify for my Illinois conceal carry permit yesterday and plan on using it as my main carry gun. The price was right (about $325) with 2 12 round magazines, case and lock.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:40:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have a pt111, but I do have a 24/7 ds compact in .45. Only issue with it was the magazine followers would stick sometimes and the mag release would stick. A little sanding on both and no furthers issues. Has functioned with all ammo I've tried.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of the older 111 the Milennium Pro mine has some issues not sure what the issue is think it could be the recoil spring but I get some FTF or Failure to return to battery. youll rack the slide and pull the trigger and it goes click. I still like the gun but it has its issues.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]
had problems with mine the first day with the slide locking to the rear with rounds still in the mag. took it apart and found that the 2 pins under the back slide rail had large burrs on them that was hanging the slide up. took the burs off with a leatherman diamond file on the spot and haven't had any problems since. Taurus makes some really ugly machining marks under the slide but it hasn't had problems since and I bought it in 2010-2011 its got probly 800rnds or so out of it. my xd9 takes up most of my 9mm range time but I do try to put a few mags though it. its pretty bulky for a sub gun. my wife use to be good at stove piping this more than the xd but that was her limp wristing it since I got her into shooting my 357 mag and 44 mag she has never stoved piped a gun since ( soar wrists are good trainers) . all in all I would say its not a bad gun and cant comment on carry cause iv never used it for more than a open carry belt gun when fishing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Gen 1 stainless 111 back in the day, it was my first handgun...paid $329.....sold 2 weeks ago for $320.

Countless rounds & days of carry. NEVER a problem.  Bought Megar mags to have some spares (still have them).  EDC in a Crossbreed STD, not a big deal.

Replaced with a Shield9.  I like the thinner profile-seems I've grown in the middle over the last 20 years.  I can't speak for the latest versions, but mine was worth every dime....and only lost a few bucks in the sale....

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#8]
This is an old thread, but I just wanted to say I got one of the PT111 G2's from PSA on sale, and I've NEVER been this impressed with a handgun out of the box. The trigger is beyond belief in this class -- amazing. And the sandpaper panels on the grip are perfect -- best grip surface I've ever used. The "memory pads" are great little grip indexing references. I've owned or at least tried "them all" and never expected to be this won over by a $239 gun. Feels like a $600 gun.

Haven't shot it yet, but just wanted to share my impressions. Now if they only made a flush fit mag option...
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is an old thread, but I just wanted to say I got one of the PT111 G2's from PSA on sale, and I've NEVER been this impressed with a handgun out of the box. The trigger is beyond belief in this class -- amazing. And the sandpaper panels on the grip are perfect -- best grip surface I've ever used. The "memory pads" are great little grip indexing references. I've owned or at least tried "them all" and never expected to be this won over by a $239 gun. Feels like a $600 gun.

Haven't shot it yet, but just wanted to share my impressions. Now if they only made a flush fit mag option...
View Quote

awesome.  this is exactly the kind of anecdotal reinforcement I needed.  I just pretty much impulse-purchased one (PSA, you got me again!) after 2 years of waiting for a glock to go on clearance lol.  Funny, in all that time never saw a unicorn or a leprechaun either.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Range report -- was pouring down rain so the testing was not extensive, but 100 rounds of FMJ reloads and about 30 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 115gr JHP all functioned flawlessly.
The handload was 115gr Berry's plated over 5.0gr Universal and CCI-SP, mixed headstamp brass.

No issues. First 5 rounds went a little wild but beyond that they tightened up.

The single action trigger breaks pretty far back -- I don't have big hands and it still was a tiny bit awkward ergonomically, but pretty adaptable and it makes for fast shooting (short reset).

I'm happy with it -- seems to be a reliable cheap gun! Very impressed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Glocktiger, How long did yours take to ship?? I just recently ordered one from PSA myself and am hearing their shipping times are horrendous!  Im going on 5 days now with "processing" as a status...
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Plan on 3 weeks. Yes it's stupid - I don't know how they take that long. Shoot, I ordered some munitions plated bullets and they shipped within 24hrs! But serialized stuff goes to their compliance dept which moves like pond water.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:57:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Awesome gun. I've owned them all and  for the money spent, they can't be beat. I've never been a fan of Taurus, but this one has won me over!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the PT111 Millenium titanium.  this gun was given to me as a gift. it is a dream for CCW, it is so light I forget that I have it. the only problem is the recoil when I use standard ammo. I made up some 3% reduced loads that I use on the range for practice and it actually increased the accuracy. so if I'm going to continue to care this then I need to work up some defense loads...
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I just purchased the pt111 g2 from PSA and received it within a week. $239 shipped!! They had a free ship weekend for orders over $100.
Great gun for the price. Shoots well, crisp trigger break, lightweight.  I have a Kel Tec PF9 and when I lay it on top of the pt111 they look about
the same size. The pt111 is just a little thicker. Great ccw gun.  I am thoroughly pleased. Gun has shot everything I have put through it even WWB
ammo.  Fit and finish are top notch.  Machining looks great.  I like the way this gun handles better than the baby glock or the sub compact xd9.
You cant go wrong for the price.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#16]
No you cannot.  I got mine for $299 from SOG around a year ago.  Double strike capability is nice and has been needed on some steel cased Russian 9mm I ran at the range.  Gun fits like a glove in a Fobus SP11b paddle holster.  I also use a DeSantis pocket-tuk for a G26 for IWB concealed carry.  This gun is the buy of the century for $239, but haters gonna hate.  Don't forget to send in for your free 1 yr NRA membership too.  Print offer of Taurus' site.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Just traded my old XD9 subcompact for a Millenium G2.  It fits better in my hand, it's lighter, and I like the trigger better.  
I haven't put enough ammo through it yet to comment on reliability, but no problems so far.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I like hearing this good stuff. Just ordered mine from PSA on Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to getting it.

I kept waiting for them to say, "Oh, sorry, $239 was a typo. Should have read $329."  
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#19]
If it didn't have that &%$#@ manual safety, I'd have kept mine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If it didn't have that &%$#@ manual safety, I'd have kept mine.
View Quote

I haven't found the safety to be a problem, I carry mine right now with the safety on, but with a SA trigger pull around 6#, I don't think it would be unsafe to ignore the safety altogether if you choose.

I think some of the M&P's come with a safety as well, just for those who prefer to carry that way.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like hearing this good stuff. Just ordered mine from PSA on Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to getting it.

I kept waiting for them to say, "Oh, sorry, $239 was a typo. Should have read $329."  
View Quote

I ordered mine a few days prior to that @ $229, of course I had to pay $17 for shipping. On a side note it did come with 3 magazines. Since then I have put somewhere around 500 rounds through it, without a single failure.
With the PT 111 G2 total price of less than $260 (and a free year of NRA membership) I feel like it could be the best kept secret out there. I love the way it feels in my hands, I was able to shoot it well, right out of the box and it conceals nicely. I love this pistol!
P.S. haters gonna hate,
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine came in yesterday afternoon, and I cleaned and lubed it last night. Took it to the range today and shot around 75 rounds of Winchester white box 115gr JHP through it for a function test - not a single failure or hiccup of any kind.

It shot a little low at first, so I cranked the rear sight up a notch or two and got it right in there (yay for adjustable sights!). Windage was good out of the box. I haven't shot a small 9mm in awhile, and I was mainly testing function, but it grouped pretty well for a 3.2" barrel. It's not going to be an IPSC champ with that short barrel, but it's a worthwhile personal defense gun or just fun shooter.

And like the poster above me says, I think it's the deal of the decade. I couldn't get a crap Yugo gun for that money, and this one is a well-made, well-engineered pistol.

All in all, I probably enjoy shooting my Glock 21 .45ACP more, but I'm happy with the Taurus!
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#23]
One question - I saw reviews where the G2 came in a plastic "hard case", but mine came in an orange cardboard Taurus box. How about yours?

If anyone has that hard case and doesn't want it, PM me!
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#24]
mine came with a POS hard case.  foam is just loose in it and falls out every time you open it.  Go to local sporting goods store and buy one for less than $7
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
One question - I saw reviews where the G2 came in a plastic "hard case", but mine came in an orange cardboard Taurus box. How about yours?

View Quote

Check your messages.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Check your messages.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check your messages.

Arfcom is great. Thanks, MrRezister!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I just picked up the Tan version today at Academy $281 out the door. It also came in an orange box. The pistol, extra mag and keys all came in their own little micro fiber bag. Can't get to shoot it yet. Wife told me that it will go under the tree, but I did clean it up and oiled everything.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought one too. I figured it's a gun I can leave in the car without worrying about it getting stolen.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:52:58 AM EDT
[#29]
These are on sale for $289.99 at Academy. Not as great as the Black Friday deal but it's still pretty good. Got me one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I love my PT111 G2. Oh, PSA has them for $199 right now... http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/taurus-pt111-gen2-9mm-1-111031g2-12.html
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:54:41 AM EDT
[#31]
On another forum, a member there posted that he uses Sig 226 mags as range mags.

Can anyone confirm or deny that currently has one?

If true, then the 229 and possibly 224 mags would also fit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Just picked one up at lgs for $215 out the door...anybody find a good source for magazines?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just picked one up at lgs for $215 out the door...anybody find a good source for magazines?
View Quote

CDNN has ones for the PT111 PRO.  I'm assuming that they are the same for the PT111 G2, but we all know about how assumptions can come back and bite you in the ASSumption...

Forrest
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:16:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Had one and carried it for a few years.  Traded up to a God and never looked back.  Honestly,  save your pennies fir a little while longer and get a better gun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Got mine last week from palmetto for $199. Haven't shot it yet but it looks like a winner. Fit and finish looks good. Trigger is different but not bad. It fits my hand well.  I really like the memory grooves in the frame. Disassembled and cleaned it. The inner workings look good. On top of that it's a good looking gun also
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Got mine last week from palmetto for $199. Haven't shot it yet but it looks like a winner. Fit and finish looks good. Trigger is different but not bad. It fits my hand well.  I really like the memory grooves in the frame. Disassembled and cleaned it. The inner workings look good. On top of that it's a good looking gun also
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
CDNN has ones for the PT111 PRO.  I'm assuming that they are the same for the PT111 G2, but we all know about how assumptions can come back and bite you in the ASSumption...
View Quote

By the way, it looks like I may be wrong here since the Taurus PT247G2 does not take the same mag as the original Taurus PT247 PRO...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Just picked up mine today. Stainless model $220 shipped. Took it to the range this afternoon. Flawless through 100rds. Trigger was good, got much better as I went (probably just got used to it). Nice finish, good accuracy. Would highly recommend for the money.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Glocktiger, How long did yours take to ship?? I just recently ordered one from PSA myself and am hearing their shipping times are horrendous!  Im going on 5 days now with "processing" as a status...
View Quote
I've bought a S&W M&P9 plus 3 lowers from them on one order.  IT just depends on shipping.  It took several days for my FFL and them to get things sorted.  A few calls back and forth with me giving info to them both.  Seems that greased the wheels as the order shipped promptly after that.  I think it was 1.5 weeks from order to when it was at my FFL.  But that was prior to Thanksgiving and if PSA is busy it takes forever to ship.  I had a big order around Xmas and it was 2-3 weeks to ship.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#40]
I had a PT1911 for a while.  It wasn't the best looking gun as far as build quality and machining.....but it show well, and always went bang when you pulled the trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top