Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2013 11:23:58 PM EDT
Tell me about them.  Pics, likes, dislikes, etc.....
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
My dad bought one not long after they came out, I think its a piece of junk (told him to get a Springfield or better) but he likes it. After a few hundred rounds it started dropping the hammer when you would take it off safe, he sent it in and they fixed it, apparently the sear surfaces sheared off or something to that effect The finish started wearing off almost immediately as well. I would never buy one but I wouldn't buy a Taurus in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My dad bought one not long after they came out, I think its a piece of junk (told him to get a Springfield or better) but he likes it. After a few hundred rounds it started dropping the hammer when you would take it off safe, he sent it in and they fixed it, apparently the sear surfaces sheared off or something to that effect The finish started wearing off almost immediately as well. I would never buy one but I wouldn't buy a Taurus in the first place.

Makes sense.  I have heard good reviews on em too though.  I will probably try to find a Springfield Mil-Spec.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:33:04 AM EDT
[#3]
taurus guns in general are shit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's not what i asked.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey RockSarge,

mine has been 100% when I do my part...I've tried some other stocks but always come back to the plain black plastic checkered ones that came with the pistol...I changed the recoil spring and the magazine springs to ISMI 16lb and Tripp CobraMag conversions but I do this with my other pistols and it wasn't because of any issues with the OE parts (although the springs felt weak to me compared to these on my other 1911 pattern pistols, they worked 100% too)

I bought mine, a PT1911AL which in Taurus speak is the lightweight alloy'd Government sized pistol to try out lightweight frames and being a SouthPaw, I liked the extra features...mine has been a good purchase and I really have nothing bad to say about it...the blue'd-phosphated slide has held up well...I didn't think it would, the sights are just fine...the lock on the hammer is not my cup of tea but hasn't caused any issues, the dull gray frame looks dirty a lot but functions as it should...mine has been as accurate as any of the others so that is a moot point too...all this has made mine a good purchase for me...add in the discount price and it elevates it quite a bit.

...today, I don't see the prices as nice as they were but value can still be found...I wouldn't hesitate to buy another should I find one I wanted for the price I wanted to pay (perhaps a stainless Super .38ACP...or if they ever make a light weight Super...)

...if you go by just what you read on the interwebz, you might not think they are a good pistol...many who say they're duds have never owned one...some have but every brand has it's detractors...if they run well, you may not hear about it but when they run bad, EVERYONE hears about it...

getchuone...

Bill

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one at Academy for $519 last month. overall, its been a helluva deal for me. it shoots fantastic with one problem. it has shot low. originally it shot 5 inches low, I contacted Taurus and they sent me a lower fron sight and now it only shoots a couple of inches low and I am trying to look at my options.

It shoots great after 500 rounds. groups are one jagged hole no matter what brand of .230 gr  I love the gun, I'm just sorting out the sight issues. it looks like I will call Taurus again and see if I can get a higher rear novak or something else.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guy. Keep it coming.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not what i asked.

Ok well then, Here it is. From the number of them that I have shot, as I do not own any, I have found that they CAN have a loose slid to frame fit, sloppy/loose trigger, loose safety and plunger, below par accuracy, bad/innacurate sights, and low quality internals such as the sear/springs. I am not saying don't buy one as you could probably replace parts and make it a nice weapon for less than a custom 1911 but in the end it is still a taurus.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not what i asked.

Ok well then, Here it is. From the number of them that I have shot, as I do not own any, I have found that they CAN have a loose slid to frame fit, sloppy/loose trigger, loose safety and plunger, below par accuracy, bad/innacurate sights, and low quality internals such as the sear/springs. I am not saying don't buy one as you could probably replace parts and make it a nice weapon for less than a custom 1911 but in the end it is still a taurus.

well, at least you addressed the 1911 instead of painting with the broad brush.  i've owned Wilson, Kimber, Springfield, S&W, and Sig 1911s.  I currently have just a Glock 19 and a .380 BUG and am looking to add a BASIC 1911 at some point.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#11]
The problems most people have with Taurus are:

1. They try comparing the quality and durability to guns costing twice the price.
2. They compare them to guns that are hand tested for fit, finish and function at the factory, a service that you pay for in the higher sale price. Taurus doesn't test every gun off the line, that's why they have the warranty where they pay the shipping in the first 90 days for anything wrong with the gun.
3. A good majority of gun owners likes to tinker and work on their own guns and Taurus doesn't sale their internal parts, in order for them to back their lifetime warranty they don't want anybody working on them except their gunsmiths.
4. Because of number 3 there is no aftermarket parts for their guns which turns many against them.
5. Because of number 2 there is some turds that get out of the factory and that turns many people against them because they feel a new gun should not have any issues that needs repair.

At around $500 for a 1911 your in line with others like Armscor and Rock Island on price, if you compare the Taurus to them you'll find the Taurus has a better fit and finish and is a higher overall quality. And if you need repair, you will find with Taurus you will get quicker and better service then them.

Now when you compare the Taurus to the Springfield, Colts, Kimber and the like, the ones that cost two or three times the money, then yes the Taurus doesn't stand a chance!

Ive owned several Taurus's over the years, and still have a few. Ive always had good luck with them and I think for the money they are a decent budget firearm.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a PT-1911 that I purchased in 2006. From then to 2010, I put maybe 700 rounds through it with zero problems.

Since 2010, every year from the start of daylight savings time until the end, I have put 50 rounds or more a week through it. I have had zero malfunctions with it. Zero.
Accuracy is very good. No loose parts. During shooting season I only clean it every fourth or fifth range trip. I use generic 7 round magazines. The 8 round ones that come with it work fine though.

My Springfield GI that I bought about the same time has had several failures to return to battery during the same period. I just slap the back of the slide to get it back in action. I could probably solve it permanently with a +10% recoil spring.

The Taurus is my go to 1911. If I was going to carry a 1911 daily, it would be the Taurus. If the SHTF, I would carry the Taurus.

If I came across another one for less than $600, I'd buy it.

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine runs like a "Bat outta Hell" No problems at all.
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#15]
a buddy of mine owns one.... reliable and accurate as all hell but......his safety falls off all the time. he had a gun smith install it and guess what......it falls out again! i would prefer something different i think.
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
a buddy of mine owns one.... reliable and accurate as all hell but......his safety falls off all the time. he had a gun smith install it and guess what......it falls out again! i would prefer something different i think.

I'd probably add an aftermarket and have it fitted.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Had one since they first came out.  Completely reliable with a wide variety of ammo.  Nice trigger, good accuracy.  No complaints at all.

Swapped out the grips for walnut double diamonds but that was just a cosmetic thing.   I'me perfectly happy with mine.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got a new one for $489 delivered from Davidson's but I traded the factory mags for Wilsons for a teeny bit more.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought one when you could first could get one. What attracted me was all the custom work done in house that kept the price down. I didn't have a lot of cash at the time to step up to spending more money. Mine is real accurate, very dependable with defense, or a lot of lead hand loads.At about 1,500 rounds, the trigger would all of a sudden get real heavy. I found the plunger in the slide was gone. My gunsmith send it back and they replaced the slide in about a month. The slide to frame fit may not be as tight, as it isn't the original slide, but my accuracy hasn't changed, and after about 2,200 rounds I got what I paid for. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought one when you could first could get one. What attracted me was all the custom work done in house that kept the price down. I didn't have a lot of cash at the time to step up to spending more money. Mine is real accurate, very dependable with defense, or a lot of lead hand loads.At about 1,500 rounds, the trigger would all of a sudden get real heavy. I found the plunger in the slide was gone. My gunsmith send it back and they replaced the slide in about a month. The slide to frame fit may not be as tight, as it isn't the original slide, but my accuracy hasn't changed, and after about 2,200 rounds I got what I paid for. Hope this helps.

I really wanted a Davidson's gun so I don't have to deal with a bunch of crap.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a .45 used and ended up selling it.  I think I paid about $430 out the door.  It is one gun I regret selling because it was accurate and a fun plinker.  I ended up buying a .38 super stainless from CDNN and enjoy that one as well.  It is a fun shooter.  My only problem is safety is not very positive.  I do plan on changing out the plunger spring one of these days.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine runs like a champ, no issues at all.

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

1. They try comparing the quality and durability to guns costing twice the price.
2. They compare them to guns that are hand tested for fit, finish and function at the factory, a service that you pay for in the higher sale price. Taurus doesn't test every gun off the line, that's why they have the warranty where they pay the shipping in the first 90 days for anything wrong with the gun.
3. A good majority of gun owners likes to tinker and work on their own guns and Taurus doesn't sale their internal parts, in order for them to back their lifetime warranty they don't want anybody working on them except their gunsmiths.
4. Because of number 3 there is no aftermarket parts for their guns which turns many against them.
5. Because of number 2 there is some turds that get out of the factory and that turns many people against them because they feel a new gun should not have any issues that needs repair.

At around $500 for a 1911 your in line with others like Armscor and Rock Island on price, if you compare the Taurus to them you'll find the Taurus has a better fit and finish and is a higher overall quality. And if you need repair, you will find with Taurus you will get quicker and better service then them.

Now when you compare the Taurus to the Springfield, Colts, Kimber and the like, the ones that cost two or three times the money, then yes the Taurus doesn't stand a chance!

Ive owned several Taurus's over the years, and still have a few. Ive always had good luck with them and I think for the money they are a decent budget firearm.

A friend of mine recently bought a PT1911 and was kind enough to let me tear it down and have a look at the internals. It looked worse than any Filipino 1911 I've been into (Armscor, SAM, Metro), and I've never heard anything but good about Rock Island's customer service. While I'll concede that was a single pistol, based on what I saw I would personally recommend anyone looking at a PT1911 consider the Rock Island pistols instead.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A friend of mine recently bought a PT1911 and was kind enough to let me tear it down and have a look at the internals. It looked worse than any Filipino 1911 I've been into (Armscor, SAM, Metro), and I've never heard anything but good about Rock Island's customer service. While I'll concede that was a single pistol, based on what I saw I would personally recommend anyone looking at a PT1911 consider the Rock Island pistols instead.

I have both an RIA Tactical and a PT1911.  My expectations for them are realistic (I don't expect the same thing I do from my nicer 1911's).  That said, they are solid guns for an entry pieces.  The difference in my experience was that my RIA shot like a champ out of the box with all the ammo I tried.  The taurus required a break in and did not like steel case at first.

Of my two, they're roughly on par.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I am not a Fan Boy of any brand. I have a wide variety of firearms. And I do like clones.

I have a PT92. Have variety of mags for it, and been reliable with all brass and steel ammo. At over 5300 rounds, I have only had 1 issue with it. The button to remove the slide from the frame had broken off. Sent it back to Taurus, and got it back in about a month. That was back in 07 with about 2100 rounds thru it.
Most would regard the PT92 as one of the best guns they make since the tooling and design of the Beretta that they were using to clone it.

I bought my PT1911 in 2009. Took my nephew out today and put a 150 rds thru it. Currently, the round count is around 2650. I use factory mags, Wilsons, Colt 7 rounders, C-Products, Chip McKormick's.
I have yet to have a single malfunction. The most rounds in 1 session that I have put thru the gun was 600 at a long weekend get together with friends. Many different shooters ( lifers, newbies, guys with top notch 1911's) all used it during that weekend.

Never did we have a malfunction at that time, nor any other time I have had it out. I tend to get the same "why did you buy so cheap on a 1911 and they need better mags and better parts" and I have yet to have an issue. Will it? Maybe, probably. But at this moment, its run great, cleans up nice, and I have no problem using it in a SHTF or as a BUG gun.

Thread needs more pics. I need to get some new ones of both mine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I have my PT1911 for many years, several thousand rounds through it.  No malfunctions at all.  Very accurate.  One of the best triggers I have seen in a production 1911.  Great gun even if compared to other guns that cost twice.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought one, it shoots fine.  No it's not as nice as an original Kimber Classic Stainless or a Colt, but for the price you do get a good value.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#28]
here's a shot of mine.
I got it back in 09 and have since put around 1k-2k rounds thru it ( I stopped counting).
after I got it I started changing out a few parts for some Springfield parts, not because of issues because I wanted to change up the look.
mine has run flawless the entire time, I have never had an issue FTF or any other problems with it.
I would love to get my hands on another one sometime in the near future.

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I was the CRSO at a range that had one of the best rental programs at the time, our PT1911 held up better than the two Kimbers beside it.

That gun got fucking BEAT ON too.  Not only did customers abuse it (like all rental guns) but it was also the test mule for the ammo loading company that was in the back of the range, that had shit QC.

The only problem the PT1911 had, was after maybe 30-40k rounds, the firing pin broke.

When new shooters who wanted to try 1911's came in, I would give them the Taurus, because I knew it would work, and they would shoot it well leaving them with a favorable impression.

I knew that the Kimbers would not.

The rental gun did so well one of the employee's picked one up to test his .45acp loads in to keep wear and tear off his nice 1911's, and would abuse the piss out of it as well to no ill effect.  It eventually became his carry gun.

RIA's are great too, I'd take one over a Taurus, but the Taurus 1911 is really in a class of it's own vs other Taurus products.
FWIW that was all around 2009.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I picked up a like new PT1911 chambered in 38 Super with 6 extra Colt mags for ~$500 this summer. The only thing that really turned me off was that stupid hammer with the lock imbedded in it. I ordered and fitted a Wilson skeletonized hammer to it to fix that problem. I have been toying with the idea to get a S&A mag well to finish it out.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Here's my experience:

Having worked for one of the big-box firearm dealers I used to sell new used firearms and buy used firearms on a regular basis. I was sent annually to listen to all the manufacturer reps sell their firearms and talk up their new models. After all the talking came our turn to try the new merchandise. This was where I shot firearms like the Springfield Socom, FN SCAR, and a few others that didn't even make it to market. When it came to Taurus I was always generally unimpressed. I noted that the fit and finish was substandard and was dismayed to see tooling marks inside the chambers of their revolvers. Call me a snob but the only 1911 I'll own is made by Colt.

My 2 cents......
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Just picked up a Taurus PT 1911 FS at local gun show. New never fired for $419. IMO you can't beat that when compared to other 1911's in $500 range.  100 rounds through and no problems.  
For my first 1911 this thing rocks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#33]
My SIL has one and his developed an extraction problem.  Every once in a while, it will leave a case in the chamber.  Didn't matter what kind of ammo, who the shooter was, whatever.  It would just fail to extract once in a while.  

That's my total expereince with the Taurus PT-1911.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#34]
sometimes when i'm shooting mine. I'll still have 2 or 3 bullets left in the mag and the slide locks back as if the mag went empty.

Any suggestions on what to do?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#35]
does this happen with any magazines and with other shooters???...are you right handed and is it possible you are making contact with the slide stop while shooting???

Bill
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I got my Taurus 1911 in 2006 it was the first handgun I ever bought.   I liked my Dads colt 1911 but could not afford one myself.  

It is not as nice as a colt, but it will get the job done. I have thousands of rounds thru mine, the only problem I encountered was with self defense rounds.   The first round wouldn't chamber.  When you pulled the slide back  it would lock back.  The round got stuck on the feed ramp.  Anyway it seems to be the same with other Taurus models was well.  My Taurus .380 did the same thing.  I fixed this by polishing the feed ramp and just shooting it.  

If you take care of the gun it will take care of you.  Now I own a colt 1911 and it is a very nice gun but I still carry the Taurus at times.  

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q231/14pointbuck/101_0598_zpsf5b3e4e3.jpg

I just got the recover tactical grip and rail system today, I will say it doesn't fit my colt at all but it did fit the Taurus.
I did have to shave off some plastic for the safety to work properly.

When I got my Taurus it came with two sets of grips black plastic and wood.

I really like the wood look

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sometimes when i'm shooting mine. I'll still have 2 or 3 bullets left in the mag and the slide locks back as if the mag went empty.

View Quote

My 1911 did the same thing when I first got it and so did my .380.  When shooting the slide would lock back I found out the bullet was getting stuck on the feed ramp.   I took the gun apart  polished up the feed ramp,  and then put a small dot of lube on it.
Then I just took the gun out and shot it.  After a few hundred rounds my 1911 shoots fine now I polish the ramp and put a small dot of lube on it when cleaning it.  
However my Taurus .380 still gets stuck now and then no pattern to it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I really like mine, no failures. Only thing I did to it was replace that stupid lockable hammer.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 3:01:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
See if anything is touching (such as the nose of the bullet) the inside rear of the slide stop where it is pushed up by the magazine follower.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#40]
With a lot of places selling them for $399, I am thinking about picking one up again.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
With a lot of places selling them for $399, I am thinking about picking one up again.
View Quote

I have 2 Taurus 1911s, a RIA, and a Springfield. For the $399 I have been seriously considering another one or two Taurus 1911s.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Classic running a sale on them
https://www.classicfirearms.com/taurus451911handgun5-8rdnovak
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#43]
http://www.targetsportsusa.com/taurus-1911-45-acp-auto-semi-automatic-handgun-5-barrel-steel-frame-8-rounds-1-191101fs-p-47031.aspx

better deal here.

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/taurus-1911-45-acp-auto-semi-automatic-handgun-5-barrel-steel-frame-8-rounds-1-191101fs-p-47031.aspx
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Nevermind it sold out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#45]
I got one about 6 years ago and got the 1911ALR (aluminum railed version) and have had no problems through about 10,000 rounds with it. Great pistol for the money. Holds great groups, and for most of the problems I read about have basic fixes to them.

Here's my groups, the center one is the first 16 shot group I shot a 25 yards off a bag, and I drifted the sight to the right a little and it's dead on now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top