Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I've just had one of their revolvers fail. Bought new, only about 2K rounds fired. The ratchet is worn out. Not sure exactly what model it is since they aren't marketed as anything specific over here, but it's a fairly typical .44 Magnum. Not very impressed with it. It was cleaned and maintained properly, plus they cost about $1000 over here. Maybe I expected too much?

It was a decent enough revolver when it was working, 'cept for the D/A trigger-pull which was so heavy, the revolver wasn't really practical with anything but S/A.

There are horror stories about the parts availability in this country. I haven't yet tried to get any replacements, so we'll see.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 3:23:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a model 85.  It isn't horrible, but I don't trust it either.  I bought it used with less than 200 rounds fired from a fellow agent.  The cylinder locks up occassionally and takes some fiddling and banging to unlock.  The trigger is pretty crappy in both DA and SA.  It has gone bang every time, but I wouldn't buy another one.  Both my mom and my fil bought the S&W the M85 is a clone of, and that is a much tighter, more finished revolver.  Running the action and pulling the trigger just give more confidence in the gun, and I really don't like S&W at all.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Just my two cents on Taurus....My first pistol was a 24/7 Gen2 9mm. Hundreds of rounds fired with no FTF or FTE issues. I loved the gun but it was just too "big". I sold it. Good decision/bad decision? I don't know. I think Taurus is a viable choice that deserves consideration.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a PT1911 and a PT111 G2.  The PT1911 has several thousand rounds in it and the PT111 G2 has a few hundred.  They are both great guns, never had a single malfunction with them.  Very accurate, 100% reliable, safe, good ergonomics.  You usually don't expect recoil to be an issue in any 1911's, and this one is no different.  The PT111 G2, being a compact gun, is surprisingly easy to shoot, almost no recoil felt.  The trigger is excellent.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought the .357 snub(605?) NIB from a friend who bought it for his wife, then divorced her a few weeks later. It would not lock up properly, the nipple in the cylinder would get stuck inwards therefore not locking the cylinder closed and rendering it inoperable. There was also an issue with the timing, sometimes the cylinder would not rotate when pulling the trigger in DA. I called Taurus, and because I was not the one who actually purchased it new(it was still unfired when I got it, so its new in my book) they would not do anything about it. So rather than dick around with a gun worth more in scrap metal, I sold it to my LGS. I bought ammo with the proceeds.

I bought the 24/7 Pro .40 new, which was also the first pistol I ever bought and owned. I could not hit air with this thing. I have a few friends who are quite the shot, they had the same issues. Both mags that came with the gun displayed a FTF at least one while cycling though them, and the trigger had this horrendous issue of moving side to side. It almost would extend beyond the trigger guard. About once every 100 rounds I would get a light primer strike resulting in a failure to fire(which just as a range gun was not that big an issue since it would revert back to DA), and it would fire on the second trigger pull, so it was not an issue with the ammunition. Rather than screw around with Taurus, I traded it towards a Springfield Loaded Champion.

The ONLY thing good to ever come from Taurus IMO is the feature in the 24/7 that allows the trigger to be pulled again without racking the slide.

I will never own one again. For a few dollars more I can buy a gun that will work every time I pull the trigger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've owned 2 Tauruses and both were complete crap. Especially the .357 snub. It seemed to work only when it wanted to. I wouldn't even take one if it were offered to me for free. Spend a few extra dollars and get yourself something with a reputation behind it.

So what was wrong with them? Just jumping in saying they were crap and didnt work is'nt a very productive way to share information. Ive owned probably 30 Taurus revolvers over the years and Ive only sent two back for repair, both were handled with no problem and very quick turn around. The last Smith I sent back was a brand new pistol that wasn't in time, it would shave lead. The first phone call to them lasted about 30mins and I talked to three different people. The first time I sent it back it was gone a month and when I got it back it had a new cylinder but was still out of time. After another 30min phone call they told me to send it back again, that time it was gone for two months (both times I had to pay shipping to them) when it came back that time it was fixed. Now this was several years ago, it was a model 686 in .357, I traded it off and bought my first Taurus and never looked back.

In all products you get the proverbial turd in the punch bowl every now and then, its how the Company handles the issue and deals with the customer that makes the difference.

The two I have sent back, one had to large a gap between the cylinder and barrel. The other was a used gun I bought that I got cheap and I knew it had some internal issues (it had seen a lot of use!), main spring was very weak and the sear was worn to the point you could push it off with your thumb by pushing against the hammer.When I sent it back I expected to pay them to get it back in good condition, I told them I wanted it totaly rebuilt and reblued back to safe condition. When I got it back it looked brand new, every spring had been replaced, trigger, hammer and sear had been replaced. It looked and operated like a new one and the only thing they charged me was for the reblue which I think was something like fifty bucks at that time.

I bought the .357 snub(605?) NIB from a friend who bought it for his wife, then divorced her a few weeks later. It would not lock up properly, the nipple in the cylinder would get stuck inwards therefore not locking the cylinder closed and rendering it inoperable. There was also an issue with the timing, sometimes the cylinder would not rotate when pulling the trigger in DA. I called Taurus, and because I was not the one who actually purchased it new(it was still unfired when I got it, so its new in my book) they would not do anything about it. So rather than dick around with a gun worth more in scrap metal, I sold it to my LGS. I bought ammo with the proceeds.

I bought the 24/7 Pro .40 new, which was also the first pistol I ever bought and owned. I could not hit air with this thing. I have a few friends who are quite the shot, they had the same issues. Both mags that came with the gun displayed a FTF at least one while cycling though them, and the trigger had this horrendous issue of moving side to side. It almost would extend beyond the trigger guard. About once every 100 rounds I would get a light primer strike resulting in a failure to fire(which just as a range gun was not that big an issue since it would revert back to DA), and it would fire on the second trigger pull, so it was not an issue with the ammunition. Rather than screw around with Taurus, I traded it towards a Springfield Loaded Champion.

The ONLY thing good to ever come from Taurus IMO is the feature in the 24/7 that allows the trigger to be pulled again without racking the slide.

I will never own one again. For a few dollars more I can buy a gun that will work every time I pull the trigger.

Lotta fluff in this story as is most of the Taurus bashers. They are good guns.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 7:34:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Taurus 1911 because at the time I bought it, ('09) it was one of the least expensive 1911's out there, but it was still packed with features you'd have to pay a pretty penny on to upgrade another 1911 - no matter who made it. The gun has run flawlessly. Period! After about a 1000 rounds through it I took it to a local gun shop and had the gunsmith check it out, and in his words "it's perfect". I get great accuracy from it, and I can't think of a single complaint, other than the price has increased by a few hundred bucks in the last 5 years.
The indoor range I shoot at makes you buy your ammo that' you're going to shoot there from them. (rip off!), and it was getting expensive to shoot as much as I liked. I couldn't find a .22 conversion by Taurus - correct me if I'm wrong; so I bought and installed (broke down and reassembled) a Kimber .22 conversion - basically the upper of a .45. The gun shoots where you point it - no matter if it's .45 or .22.
If I ever find myself with an extra $800 again (come on lottery!) I'll buy another PT 1911, but this next one with a rail to mount a light. You really can't go wrong with Taurus in my opinion. Granted, I only have experience with the 1911, but if the revolvers shoot like the auto, well, I'll consider it. I'm bummed because I thought that a few years ago they chambered their "Tracker" model revolver in .45 APC, to be used with half moon clips. (aka the S&W 625) - I must be wrong, because I can't find a reference to it anywhere.

Anyway, it's a great gun for the money. I heard that they bought their tooling from a previous gun manufacturer, I think it was ... can't think of it now, maybe someone else knows. I will have to try a revolver to see if there is that much discrepancy between the 6 guns and the autos as everyone is saying.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm bummed because I thought that a few years ago they chambered their "Tracker" model revolver in .45 APC, to be used with half moon clips. (aka the S&W 625) - I must be wrong, because I can't find a reference to it anywhere.
View Quote

They used to have the Tracker in .45ACP.  IIRC it was a 5 shot.  CDNN had them years ago.  I haven't seen any mention of them lately either though.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had this rig for several years with no issues to speak of.

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/Brian_Teeters/DSC01878_zps7bdb4e30.jpg
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a Millenium Pro in .45 for a number of years, I put two to three thousand rounds through it. Only issue was a couple of light primer strikes, which may have been the ammo.

I traded it for something when I was offered a really good deal.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a PT840.  I have never had a fail to feed or a fail to fire with it.   It has gone bang each and every time after ~350 rounds through it.  

However, I cannot stand sights on it.   I always shoot low even at 7 yards.  I pick up a Glock or a XD and I am right on target.   Friends have tried and have similar results as I do.   I have verified with a barrel laser that the sights are aligned correctly, albiet in a manor I am not accustomed to.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Just don't. Taurus doesn't have good enough quality control.

I doubt you could ever go purchase two S&W revolvers and end up with problems on both of them like this guys two taurus revolvers.

Youtube Vid
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 4 now, two auto's PT-145 and a 24/7 gen1. A judge and a snuby .38spl 5-shot. The 24/7 is flawless from NIB. The PT-145 did have issues from NIB but it went back to Brazil and after that it has become daily carry, it's light (for a 45) and much smaller than most 45's. I personally like Taurus, I have many other hand guns, both auto and revolver and would rank Taurus toward the top considering quality and price.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 2:43:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a new Gaucho single action 45 colt a few years ago. It shot about a foot high at 20 feet. Useless to me. I traded it at the very next gun show.

To be fair I do own two older (pre lock) PT92s that are great. I've heard that the PT92 is the only thing they make right as it is the brazillion military gun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Not sure when some of the Taurus revolvers have been purchased but I have had a M 44 in stainless for over 10 years now and it's been awesome. Not one issue. I purchased it used albeit like new in the box.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 4:43:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I own two Taurus guns.  First is a PT1911SS.  It's been a great gun.  Great features for the reasonable price, and I've had no issues with it.  Second is just recently bought Tracker in .22.  It was pretty tight out of the box and seemed to want to get 'stuck' (Hammer didn't pull back until I removed and reinserted the cylinder), but has so far been fine since then.  

Personally, I would suggest that any Taurus that you intend to use for serious work be given a more extensive break-in and confidence building session than a Glock or whatever, but after that I'd not be overly concerned.

They are a value gun, at a value price.  They are a good value.  Are they the best guns on the planet?  No.

When I win the powerball, I'll be able to afford the best ever guns all the time.  Until then, i'll be quite happy with price/quality compromise that I get with Taurus.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I worked overseas with a P.S.C. for almost a year. Six months in Iraq. We were issued the Beretta M9, just like everyone else (9mm ammo is a dime a dozen in a combat zone, .40 and .45 is a lil harder to find). I bagged mine, and carried a PT92 that I've had since the early '90s.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is... I wouldn't smack a hog in the ass with an M9, but I damned sure bet my life on the Taurus.

IMHO, when it comes to a semi-auto 9mm, there is none better. Their Customer Service is +1 also.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]
OOps...
See below...
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here's a scenario for you

You have your choice of gun and 5k rounds of ammunition.   You get to  shoot  4,900 rounds.   Cleaning and lubing and maintaining your gun as desired.    

Then the test.  You have to shoot the last 100 rounds without incident.

The kicker ...... i get to kill you if your gun malfunctions in any way during these last 100 rounds.      

Now,  Do you really want that gun to be a taurus?
View Quote

OK... I'll bite... YES.

Here's a modification to your scenario...

I shoot the last 100 thru my PT92, with NO incidents, I get to shoot YOU, in da NUTS...

Deal?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've owned 2 Tauruses and both were complete crap. Especially the .357 snub. It seemed to work only when it wanted to. I wouldn't even take one if it were offered to me for free. Spend a few extra dollars and get yourself something with a reputation behind it.
View Quote

I know few if any that would not take a free gun
So it can be assumed this is false info
What else is false info
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:13:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The largest percentage of returns at the LGS are Taurus autos. Occasionally a revolver comes  through, but not that often.
Out the last two revolvers one was so out of time it was ridiculous and the other had a cylinder that was not bored out correctly.

View Quote

Back in the pre email days I knew of an awesome shop that had a stamp made specifically for Taurus returns.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The largest percentage of returns at the LGS are Taurus autos. Occasionally a revolver comes  through, but not that often.
Out the last two revolvers one was so out of time it was ridiculous and the other had a cylinder that was not bored out correctly.

View Quote

Back in the pre email days I knew of an awesome shop that had a stamp made specifically for Taurus returns.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top