Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2017 11:33:11 AM EDT
Has anyone every installed Trijicon HD sights, and if so how difficult were they?  I don't have a sight pusher, but I have a vice and punches and such.  I have installed XS big dots before but that's about it.  They would be installed on a Glock.

Second- Anyone have an opinion on Trijicon HD sights in general?  My XS Big Dots block out too much of the target at any distance greater than 15 yards.  25 yard shots at a 5 x 5" plate become extremely difficult.  Anything close and fast the XS big dots do very well.    

Thanks,
                                                        Woody
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I've installed my fair share of Glock sights, and the HDs rears are the tightest of them all. A lot of people file them for an easier fit. I'm saying this while owning both versions of the MGW Glock sight pusher, so I would imagine the hammer and punch method would be pretty difficult unless you filed the rears. They're my favorite carry sights though. I have the same issue as you do with the XS Big Dots when I push out to longer ranges, so I don't think the HDs will remedy that. It's all about what purpose you want the gun to serve. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
33plus1, I want to put sights on that I can carry, but that I can make hits at 25 yards.  I want everything!!!!  (kidding)    I get your point/points.   Do you think the Trijicon HD XR version would be better for that?  Have you tried the XRs?  I was also looking at Dawson precision stuff, they seem to have endless options.  
                              Thanks,
                                         Woody
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I've installed about 6 sets...the rear WILL require filing to fit!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I installed a set on my Shield 45 with a punch and tap hammer.  No filing required.  Guess I got lucky.  I like them.  My front is orange.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Sample size of one install here: 23RTF with a pusher, no problem.

Keith
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I just installed mine on my Glock 26.  I can understand why someone would file the rear to make it fit, but like some other people I used a brass punch for the rear.  I do have brass colored marks on my rear sight from pushing it.  In hind sight maybe I should have gone with something harder than brass, it did work however.  I put just the slide in a vice and tapped it into place.  It was the tightest fitting rear sight I have ever installed.....I've installed 4 different makers of sights so I am anything but experienced at it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I've installed more than six sets and I've never filed a thing.  A rear sight pusher and that was it for the rear.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Installed HD XR's on my G26 probably about a year ago.  All I needed was a brass punch. Definitely easier than my old Warren Tactical sights.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a set of HD XR's. I prefer it over the standard HD's.

But I prefer the ameriglo for carry as the rear sight isn't sharp and flat.

Never filed a single sight on any Glock.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I have HD's on 3/5 pistols that I own (G17, USP, Shield9). Bright, easy to pick up and I'm more than capable of making a respectable group at 25m. I was consistently able to ring an 8" steel target at 50m with the USP over the summer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Just buy a sight pusher already. By far the most useful Glock item I've ever purchased. Probably installed upwards of 50 sets of sights with it over the years, and makes it much easier to do fine adjustments at the range!

Filing Glock sights to fit? I'd be concerned if you have to file them to get them in to avoid using a sight pusher that they'll move or come out too easily.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Installed two sets of HD sights and two HD XR sights with an MGW sight pusher with no problems.

I like the skinnier XR sights over the standard HDs.

Tried the Big dot and sold them.

I’ll be converting the two HDs to XR fronts.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I like them. no problem hitting a q target at 15 yards. I really like how the front is different and the rear sights.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I have several sets of the HD sights and one of the XR. I can see why people like the XR, but I wouldn't consider them enough of an upgrade to toss out the regular HDs. I think I'm faster with the regular HDs, but that could be from familiarity.

Mostly I like the front sight a lot and I kind of wish they were sold separately, because I generally prefer a blacked out rear, but the HD rears aren't bad at all.

I didn't install any of them personally, so can't speak to that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Optics Planet sells the fronts individually, in different heights. Also Ameriglo is selling their similarly designed front sights individually, in different heights. It's a good time to be a Glock shooter.

Quoted:
Mostly I like the front sight a lot and I kind of wish they were sold separately, because I generally prefer a blacked out rear, but the HD rears aren't bad at all.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Interesting, I've only installed 4 sets (with a pusher tool) and none of them required filing...
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#17]
No filing here. Sample size of one
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#18]
No filing on my g19, but I used a sight pusher. IMO HD XR style sights are the best out there, and standard 3 white dot suck.

Orange dot means the front sight picks up fast, and there’s nothing on the rear to mix up with the front sight like the trijicon tough and brights.

The XR sized front sight isn’t difficult to center in the U notch, and the extra amount of target it lets you see is really handy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I have them in three of my four glocks. However, I used a sight pusher. Went in quite simple.
I've installed sights on a XD years ago with a nylon punch, but bought a sight pusher for a reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top