Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2017 5:58:40 PM EDT
I have a Del fatti OWB holster I have been using, and am very satisfied.  For IWB I have a Milt Sparks summer special and VM2 and Im not crazy about either.  I'm 6'4" 277 lbs ( yes, fat and need to drop some lbs ) and neither IWB holster is comfortable for periods of time.  I'm carrying an Ed Brown Kobra carry that weighs over 40 ounces, but it doesn't bother me when I have the OWB holster on.  To be clear I have been carrying for over 10 years, I have a box of holsters, I carry a G19 or G43 IWB without issue.  I'm thinking of replacing my bullhide belt with a crossbreed belt, but throwing away 100 bucks on something i've never seen in person brings hesitation.  

Does anyone carry a steel 1911 and have a IWB holster they love?

Does anyone have a belt/holster combination that carries a 1911 that thinks its the best thing ever?

This is a holster I am thinking about ordering....but I don't know anyone that has one, it looks like it would be effective, or it could end up in the box.... http://www.taurisholsters.com/lpitp.cfm  

Thanks,
                                      Woody
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I was gonna say Milt sparks summer special II and a belt designed for CCW

I'm 6'4" 245 and it works for me.

I carry my M&P and P-07 in a  https://www.blackarchholsters.com/collections/all-products/products/ace-1-gen-2-holster

I like these holsters, and they seem to disperse the weight over a wider area of your belt

Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the idea Derek, i've never heard of that company Ill look into them.  I may get a new belt first and holster second, i've always bought holsters and used the belt I had on hand.  I probably got away with it because I was using polymer guns.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a Crossbreed Supertuck for my 1911's. I carry a full size steel frame with a rail, steel frame commander and an alloy frame commander. I use the same holster for all of them. It is by far the most comfortable IWB holster I have used. I have a bit of a gut and love handles but I'm only 5'10", 195.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I usually recommend summer special type holsters as well. Right after a good belt.

What do you carry your g19 with? If it's a SS and it's just the weight of the 1911 that bothers you than it may be your belt.

I don't notice the weight difference when I switch from a steel 5" 1911 to a g19 but I use very stiff gun belts.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I've tried the crossbreed style hybrid, but the leather soaks with sweat and also moves the gun into bad grasping positions.  My super duper best choice IWB is a pancake from Arfcommer www.nickydex.com  He's got a wide selection of styles and pistols.  I've used mine to carry two separate Commander length pistols.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Paul at warbird leather makes outstanding holsters. He is a true craftsman.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Let me recommend a Bigfoot Gunbelt.  I've got the 14oz steel lined and am very happy.  Short lead time, quick delivery and reasonably priced.

http://gunbelts.com/
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Good belt and Comp-Tac MTac. I use it for all steel 1911 and a Glock 19.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I use a Milt Sparks VMII holster for my 1911 and love it. Make sure your pants are a size larger than you need for IWB carry. Also make sure you have a good thick gun belt to hold up the weight of the gun. Or since you don't like the Milt Sparks IWB holsters, which are some of the best, I would recommend going with an OWB holster. OWB holsters are always more comfortable than IWB holsters. But IWB holsters conceal a little better. It's a trade off.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:47:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a Milt Sparks VMII holster for my 1911 and love it. Make sure your pants are a size larger than you need for IWB carry. Also make sure you have a good thick gun belt to hold up the weight of the gun. Or since you don't like the Milt Sparks IWB holsters, which are some of the best, I would recommend going with an OWB holster. OWB holsters are always more comfortable than IWB holsters. But IWB holsters conceal a little better. It's a trade off.
View Quote
+1 on the Milt Sparks VMII. There are many copies but nothing compares to the sparks for quality and comfort.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:53:20 AM EDT
[#13]
TT Gunleather XC Slim with 30 degree cant on an Armour belt, both company's
offer outstanding customer service and excellent products.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#14]
What did  you end up with?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Up until about a year ago I was 5'7" and 255 lbs.  (I'm still 5'7" but I'm down to 198 as of this morning, still fat but not as fat.)  Point is, I was / am FAT.  So my experiences with IWB may have some valid comparison to what you are looking at.

Anywho, I have carried a SA Mil-Spec in a Milt Sparks Summer Special off and on for the better part of 10 years and it's been one of the more comfortable IWB hosters I've used.  I have a VM2 for a Kimber Compact CDP that is also pretty comfortable, on a par with and possible just a tad more so than the SS.  Of course, the CDP has an alloy frame and is a 4" vs. the steel frame and 5" of the Mil-Spec, but still...
In my experience, the biggest factors for a comfortable carry IWB are two-fold: get a good leather holster from a reputable manufacturer and get a great carry belt that matches the loops / slots  of the holster.  I can carry IWB with kydex , but leather beats kydex (holstex / polymer / whatever) hands down for comfort.  And if it's from a reputable manufacturer, it will work well.  I have gun belts from Sparks, AG Custom, Don Hume, Spec-Ops, Bianchi, and Daltech Force.  The Spec-Ops belts are only good for IWB, the rest are good-to-go for any method you desire.  My current favorite belts are from Daltech Force and are steel cored.  Currently own two of them, one in black and one in distressed bison.  They are rigid and pretty much lock in the holster so there is no outward bow which can / will cause your gun to show more.  Real world story: tonight when the wife and I went out to eat I had a CZ 75 P-01 in a K-T Mech Akela holster (OWB) and a Bluelineconcealment double mag carrier with two 16 round mags in it.  I wore a Hawaiian shirt one size oversize and would defy anyone to spot either the gun or the mag carrier.  A good gun belt will do more to help concealment than a good holster will do.  Get both (good belt and good holster) and you can have both comfort and concealment at the same time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a G Code incog on a wilderness tactical kydex reinforced belt. Works well, but I don't carry it much
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top