Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2017 5:19:45 PM EDT
Are there issues with the quality of current production RMR sights?  I read about alleged issues in archived threads that RMRs vary in quality after some production changes.  If there are issues, are they isolated to specific models?  Are any models gtg?

ETA: I am thinking about getting a dual-illuminated with an amber dot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't comment on the dual illuminated models, but I bought an RM07 (adjustable 6.5 MOA model) in January and it just got back from Trijicon after dying within 1000 rounds on a glock 19. It doesn't seem like my experience is anywhere near common but I have a sample size of one.

In Trijicons defense, they did fix it without any fuss in about 3 weeks time.

The issue I was having was that after a shot, the dot would slowly fade out to nothing over about 2 seconds. Racking the slide or firing another shot would usually bring the dot back. It started doing this after about 750 rounds, and by ~850-900 it was completely gone. Right now I'm operating under the assumption that my experience was a fluke, I've put about 500 rounds through it since I got the RMR back without a hitch.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't comment on the dual illuminated models, but I bought an RM07 (adjustable 6.5 MOA model) in January and it just got back from Trijicon after dying within 1000 rounds on a glock 19. It doesn't seem like my experience is anywhere near common but I have a sample size of one.
View Quote
Not exactly, this is a common problem and many have had it happen to them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not exactly, this is a common problem and many have had it happen to them.
View Quote
I always take internet searches on this kind of thing with a grain of salt as you can get a bit of a skewed perspective, as the vast majority of people who have no issues never say anything at all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ETA: I am thinking about getting a dual-illuminated with an amber dot.
View Quote

That will literally wash out on everything. Their DI Green is ok and ADJ red also ok, amber is crap.
A friend has an RMR08G that has been trouble free, but it is a huge 12.9moa.

I have an RMR06 that they had to warranty replace with a new unit.
10mm G40 MOS was too much for it, kept adjusting hi/left with every shot till it walked off target at 10yds.
They installed new adj torque thingies, same problem. Replaced it with new, now GTG
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
This is unrelated to QC, but noteworthy nonetheless. I was super excited to get a new RM09 to run on a carbine. I liked it a lot until I actually started using it and realized that every bit of sand / water / whatever that touches the thing collects in the back where the emitter is and either distorts or completely blocks the dot. That, and the curvature of the lens means that crap likes to collect on the inside and so I was constantly blowing it out and fingering the debris out of the inside, which eventually started to scratch the lens and left smudges constantly that began to progressively obscure the view.

IMO, I wouldn't run one on an EDC handgun (knowing how much dust/lint/etc my IWB collects in short time) or a carbine that will ever leave the house and have any chance of contacting the elements. The overall shape and exposed emitter makes it highly susceptible to crap getting in the way of your dot and/or the actual sight picture.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I always take internet searches on this kind of thing with a grain of salt as you can get a bit of a skewed perspective, as the vast majority of people who have no issues never say anything at all.
View Quote
I feel you on that, but having personally had issues with one and talking to some highly respected trainers that have had multiple issues I have no doubts there are problems with these adjustable LED models specifically.  

Even though they tout the ruggedness of the RMRs, from what I have been told if you really put a lot of rounds through them its not a matter of "if" it will crap out on you, but "when."  IMO they just aren't capable of withstanding the repeated abuse of the slide cycling during fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top