Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2017 1:18:19 PM EDT
I'm looking to purchase my first Trijicon RMR to be mounted on an every day carry pistol. I'm hoping to draw on some experience and information of everyone here. I've done the initial research that we all do and came out most interested in the dual illuminated models. I'm going to air some thoughts and everyone can respond. Pros of the Dual Illuminated: no batteries, no external buttons, "always on/point and shoot. Cons, per my research: reticle is not as bright as Adjustable LED models

My main concerns on an EDC gun with an adjustable LED RMR is that it has exposed buttons. As a left handed shooter, carrying on my left side, the Minus button is towards my body. Laying on my side working on a project at the house, riding in a car, doing daily tasks.. go to present the firearm and realize I've turned my sight completely down. Or, wearing a heavy cover garment in the winter with opposite side pressure against my body leads me to believe that sight could accidentally be powered completely off. I understand that these are all hypothetical scenarios.

Those with adjustable LED models vs. dual illumination would both agree that back up, suppressor height night sights are a necessity. I assume with the hypothetical scenarios I provided (reticle accidentally turned off) many would recommend going to your back up sights, as would I.
Couldn't this same thing be said in the situation that the dual illuminated model did not provide enough illumination for the given application?

Lastly, I can see an adjustable LED model being helpful in a situation outside (day time, recreational "plinking") where a dual illuminated model may not get bright enough. Crank it up and carry on. However, in a self defense situation.. even having an adjustable LED model you will not have the time and/or presence of mind to turn the optic up in brightness.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Anybody out there?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I started with a dual illuminated RMR for all the same reasons you stated. I quickly decided it was terrible, and almost gave up on pistol optics. I eventually sold it, and bought a RM06 adjustable LED model.

No comparison, bright easy to see dot(the dual illuminated one is never as bright as the LED, even in perfect conditions), and I am in love with it. I now have 2, and have been carrying one everyday for several months now. Also competing in USPSA carry optics division.

The buttons are well protected within their rubber covers and take a firm press to change settings, not an issue.

The brightness of the LED is what makes it. It is so much easier to pick up on the draw, and track under recoil. The dual illuminated is much harder to see under all conditions. The LED shortens the learning curve considerably, at least for me.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate your response. That's all good information!

I guess another concern I have regarding the adjustable models is the complaint of them turning off during recoil.

Someone on here was just talking about it the other day on their adjustable model. Numerous videos I've found online cite problems with the electronics.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#4]
It can happen, usually from poor battery contact.

I'm using the Battlewerx anti-flicker sealing plate, also throw away the battery that comes with the RMR and get a fresh one. I had the one that comes with it crap out after 200 rounds.

This one

So far, so good.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both.  

I still use the Dual Illuminated on my carry gun even though I like the RMR06 more.  The brightness isn't an issue for me.  There are circumstances where the dot can be washed out but it's taught me to transition to my Iron Sights.  Not having to change batteries is a feature that I really like even though I plan on changing the RMR06 battery once a year.

I have the RMR06 on a Roland Special clone and plan on carrying it eventually once I get a Trex Arms Sidecar that covers the compensator.  For now I've just been putting it through it's paces at the range and it seems to be holding up really well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I got the dual illuminated RMRs, one green dot, one amber dot (don't remember the size).

The green one fades out if I'm in low light and the target is in bright light.  The amber dot is still there.  In sunlight the amber dot is very very bright.  I've been told that some people tape up the surface over the fiber optic to lessen the brightness of the amber dot models.

I've also got back up iron sights on both my CZs with RMRs on them.  Just in case.  When the lighting conditions make the green dot just about impossible to see the iron sights work especially well (target in bright light).
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]
A friend of mine went through this with one of his G17s.  I shot it a few times and thought it was terrible.
It is not like picking up a red dot on a rifle, until you spend a LOT of time praticing with it you will spend a lot of time looking for the dot. Every recoil requires you to reaquire the dot. Without the "tube" orientation of say an Aimpoint, I am always trying to find the damned dot, IMHO, the tube helps me orient my eye to pick up the dot.
I am vastly faster with my Dawson fiber dot irons.

That said, a lot of USPSA shooters shot dots but they practice a lot. YMMV, mine didn't.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I started with a dual illuminated RMR for all the same reasons you stated. I quickly decided it was terrible, and almost gave up on pistol optics. I eventually sold it, and bought a RM06 adjustable LED model.

No comparison, bright easy to see dot (the dual illuminated one is never as bright as the LED, even in perfect conditions), and I am in love with it. I now have 2, and have been carrying one everyday for several months now. Also competing in USPSA carry optics division.

The buttons are well protected within their rubber covers and take a firm press to change settings, not an issue.

The brightness of the LED is what makes it. It is so much easier to pick up on the draw, and track under recoil. The dual illuminated is much harder to see under all conditions. The LED shortens the learning curve considerably, at least for me.

Hope this helps.
View Quote

I also have a Dual illumination RMR and totally agree with everything you said.

I originally planned on mating it to a TA31F Acog.  I wanted the most flexible & durable battery-free optic setup I could find.  The Acog lives up to it's name.  The Dual illumination RMR... not so much.

I suggest you go with the Adjustable LED version.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you considered a non-adjustable LED? RM01 (3.5 moa) and RM02 (6.5 moa) are both auto-adjust only, no buttons.

I have an RM07 adjustable and it stays on auto pretty much 100% of the time. The auto-adjust is quite effective at setting to the appropriate brightness quickly. Only my previous experience with other brands' less effective auto-adjust led me to purchase the adjustable Trijicon, but on the RMR it works, well.

If/when I go to an RMR on my carry gun it will be an RMR RM02.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I had the dual illumination model on a g20 for deer hunting/ home defense. I quickly learned it was no good for home defense. I did shoot a deer with it but other than hunting I would not recommend it.
It was just to easy to have the dot wash out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have you considered a non-adjustable LED? RM01 (3.5 moa) and RM02 (6.5 moa) are both auto-adjust only, no buttons.

I have an RM07 adjustable and it stays on auto pretty much 100% of the time. The auto-adjust is quite effective at setting to the appropriate brightness quickly. Only my previous experience with other brands' less effective auto-adjust led me to purchase the adjustable Trijicon, but on the RMR it works, well.

If/when I go to an RMR on my carry gun it will be an RMR RM02.
View Quote

I agree 100%.

I also have an RM07 that stays in the auto mode all the time. I bought the adjustable version because I wasn't super confident in how well the auto adjust would work, now that I've played with it a bit, I would have no issues buying an RM02 and saving the ~$50.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#12]
The adjustable models are the way to go. The buttons require a firm push to use, so you don't have to worry about accidentally pressing them. The adjustable models can also be set to an auto adjustment mode, while still maintaining the ability to make the dot brighter if you need to.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Get the ADJ, the DI ones are just looking to wash out on the next thing you point it at.
G40MOS
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Not to hijack...are there any dots that you can change the battery from the top without having to remove the red dot to change batteries?  I never had a red dot on my carry pistol and I'm considering adding one.

Does the dot hold zero when you replace battery?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not to hijack...are there any dots that you can change the battery from the top without having to remove the red dot to change batteries?  I never had a red dot on my carry pistol and I'm considering adding one.

View Quote

Burris Fast Fire III battery loads from the top and yes, a quality sight will hold zero when removed and replaced in my experience. Keep in mind I'm not shooting Bullseye with mine, they're sighted in at 15 yards.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Leupold Delta Point Pro 2 changes from the top. My RMR hasn't had a problem with holding zero after replacing the battery, but that may be because I had my slide milled to fit it instead of using a generic milled slide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top