Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2016 9:55:03 PM EDT
Looking to pick up an XC1 for my G19. Pros & Cons?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Pros:

Small size (No real added bulk /length to a G19)
Solid construction (it's a Surefire)

Cons:

Price (for some / not for others)
200 lumens (Again, for some / not for others)
Switching is not the greatest

If you are looking for a small weapon light that will not add any real bulk or length to your G19, then it's about your only real option.  It is only 200 lumens, but for most that should be sufficient for home use.  Personally I really didn't like the switching on it. The momentary on was "ehh" and forget about Constant On with 1 hand.  It's going to depend on your needs.

Mine was eating through batteries just sitting in the safe. I RMA'd it with Surefire and they sent me a new one back.  I ended up selling it and the holster because I didn't really like it all that much.

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pros:

Small size (No real added bulk /length to a G19)
Solid construction (it's a Surefire)

Cons:

Price (for some / not for others)
200 lumens (Again, for some / not for others)
Switching is not the greatest

If you are looking for a small weapon light that will not add any real bulk or length to your G19, then it's about your only real option.  It is only 200 lumens, but for most that should be sufficient for home use.  Personally I really didn't like the switching on it. The momentary on was "ehh" and forget about Constant On with 1 hand.  It's going to depend on your needs.

Good to know.  I have never actually tried it. but thought it was sweet being that it also didn't add any length .  
Mine was eating through batteries just sitting in the safe. I RMA'd it with Surefire and they sent me a new one back.  I ended up selling it and the holster because I didn't really like it all that much.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Forgot to say...

Although I haven't personally tried it, a lot of people like the Inforce APL.  It will be longer than the XC1, but not as long as a TLR-1 or X300.

Still only 200 lumes, but the switching is different than the XC1.  Also, it will be cheaper than the XC1 if that is a concern to you.

I've thought about getting 1 just to try out and see how I like it...
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree with Iang's post.  I ended up getting the inforce apl and size wise it works pretty well.  The xc1 certainly is small but functionality is lacking. Here is a good comparison of the two. https://trex-arms.com/surefire-xc1-versus-inforce-apl/
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't like mine. The switch sucks and is prone to jamming. It's not very bright either. I ran it through a night time pistol class so plenty of experience. I don't notice the added bulk of a TLR1.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an XC1 and won't recommend it to anyone.  It's compact and looks good on my Glock 19.  That's where it's positives end.

First off, after taking low-light training with it I saw firsthand how the light output is pretty worthless in anything but small room indoor environments due to the excessive flood and lack of any throw.  The bigger issue though is that they quickly develop issues where the light will flicker or not turn on at all.  The temporary solution I've learned from other users and have been successful with is to clean the positive battery terminal and the contact under the battery cap.  It gets minute black specks of something on them that prevent a good contact.  This may be from lack of recoil proofing and the battery bouncing off the internals.  Not really sure on why, but it's a problem that has developed and seems to occur after so many rounds fired.  In my experience it'll happen after firing 400-800 rounds and then will need to be cleaned.  Rinse, repeat.

I'm on my 3rd NIB one from Surefire after they couldn't actually fix the first two RMA'd lights.  The 3rd one has the same problems but I've given up trying.  And I'm not alone with this.  I've read reports of this in various forums and have had discussions with many people who have the exact same problem. Some of them are also on their 3rd to 5th light from Surefire and still have the problems.  Some people will always chime in and claim they've had no problems.  I wonder though if they fire a lot of ammo with the light attached.  The people I've conferred with that have the same problem seem to fall in the "training junky or serious user" group of shooters.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have an XC1 and won't recommend it to anyone.  It's compact and looks good on my Glock 19.  That's where it's positives end.

First off, after taking low-light training with it I saw firsthand how the light output is pretty worthless in anything but small room indoor environments due to the excessive flood and lack of any throw.  The bigger issue though is that they quickly develop issues where the light will flicker or not turn on at all.  The temporary solution I've learned from other users and have been successful with is to clean the positive battery terminal and the contact under the battery cap.  It gets minute black specks of something on them that prevent a good contact.  This may be from lack of recoil proofing and the battery bouncing off the internals.  Not really sure on why, but it's a problem that has developed and seems to occur after so many rounds fired.  In my experience it'll happen after firing 400-800 rounds and then will need to be cleaned.  Rinse, repeat.

I'm on my 3rd NIB one from Surefire after they couldn't actually fix the first two RMA'd lights.  The 3rd one has the same problems but I've given up trying.  And I'm not alone with this.  I've read reports of this in various forums and have had discussions with many people who have the exact same problem. Some of them are also on their 3rd to 5th light from Surefire and still have the problems.  Some people will always chime in and claim they've had no problems.  I wonder though if they fire a lot of ammo with the light attached.  The people I've conferred with that have the same problem seem to fall in the "training junky or serious user" group of shooters.
View Quote

I had to RMA my XC1 when I had it.  It was eating though batteries even while not being used.  I sent it in and SF sent me a brand new one.  I ended up selling it.  I know of a few other people that are having the same battery drain issue too.  When I was talking with the SF rep doing my return he said they have seen a spike of people reporting this battery drain issue.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Just got mine and stumbled onto this thread.
Thought since it was Surefire it was GTG.
Bummer
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I run a Streamlight TLR3 on my G19.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#10]
This is all good information.  Whatever goes on the 19 is going to be shot a lot.  I also need it reliable as it will be my training/EDC.  Looking into the TLR1 HL or similar.  I love the look of the XC1.  Wish it was without issues/ more lumens and the switches were thought out better..
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#11]
IMO of course:

Pros - size, and I actually like the actuation paddles

Cons - constant on activation makes no sense, and the light has practically no throw at all. 200 lumens sounds like a decent amount of light, but it is all flood and is a pale yellow color light, which makes it useful indoors only in my opinion. Outside it does very little to illuminate an area, and definitely not at any distance over a few feet.

However, I will say I must have the 1 in a million, mine has seen several thousand rounds mounted and still works fine. I get an occasional flicker during recoil, but the light still works properly and doesn't eat batteries like some have mentioned. It has been through several handgun courses, the first of which was a 2-day that was 1000rds.

I still have mine as I have 2 holsters for it and just cant seem to give it up yet, but I carry an x300 daily FWIW.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a CCW light, not a dedicated weaponlight, so it has some drawbacks due to its size and battery. It's still better than not having a light at all. It works fine within 50 feet.

Mine has been fine through a couple thousand rounds, until just recently. Took it out, tested the light, didn't work. Changed batteries, worked for a few moments; then it cut out, thumb switches and crossbolt. After scratching my head, I smacked it, and suddenly, it worked fine. Checked the other battery that had been in it for months; still works fine. I have since cleaned it and checked it again and again, hasn't cut out on me a second time yet.

As another poster said, check the battery compartment. If it just needs to be cleaned every now and again, that's nothing. If it has problems with not working for unknown reasons, then it needs to be shitcanned. Even so, it doesn't bother me too much, since I carry a handheld light that I go for first, anyway.

Next time I have a problem, I'll ship it back to Surefire and find out what the issue is.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I went back to my X300U, sold the XC1 and the holster, Want to try the APL, but the battery drain issue is still present supposedly.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Love mine, closing in on 2k rounds with it on. No issues.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I have stayed away from the XC1 due to the controls.  If it had the controls of a TLR-1/2 or the controls of an x300 I'd be all over it.

As for the APL, I've seen too many just fall apart (mount to break and fall off of the gun during drills/competition/etc) to trust them.  And for those who are going to ask -- "too many" is 2, and one of those guys said this was his 3rd round with the APL breaking the same way.  

I'm not taking a chance on a light breaking on a CCW weapon.  Along the same line, I don't carry CCW because it's comfortable so the very minor added discomfort of having a TLR-1  on my Glock (17 or 19) is fine by me.  It's bright, it works, and it's easy to operate.  And yea, it's bulky, so's the gun, so's the extra mag, so's the knife in my pocket, etc....   I'll chose function over form every time.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Love mine, closing in on 2k rounds with it on. No issues.
View Quote

I think it's a preference thing. Everything is subjective. I like the design. Right now, it's price keeping me from getting one. That and I would need to start dropping cash on a whole new set of holsters. I'm not ready for that either.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think it's a preference thing. Everything is subjective. I like the design. Right now, it's price keeping me from getting one. That and I would need to start dropping cash on a whole new set of holsters. I'm not ready for that either.
View Quote

One nice thing about the XC1 is that due to its size holsters retain the gun, instead of the light like on a larger model light.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:44:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I keep reading the mixed reviews and keep hoping to hear that Surefire has revised the XC1 and resolved the problems. I feel like they will have to go back at some point to address the issues with this oddball in their otherwise excellent product line. I've been using an older X200 on my G19, which is still a good light but sticks out way too far beyond the muzzle. The XC1 looked like the perfect size until I started hearing about this issues.

Quoted:
Along the same line, I don't carry CCW because it's comfortable so the very minor added discomfort of having a TLR-1  on my Glock (17 or 19) is fine by me.

I may have to look at a new holster, but I have issues with the pressure on my sciatic nerve from wearing a pistol at the 4 o'clock position for extended periods of time. While I haven't attempted it yet, I don't imagine a larger WML is going to improve that any. The XC1 looks like it might work, but I'd like to see them iron out some of the kinks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Another new option is Streamlight TRL-6 Rail Mount

Only 100 lumens, but pretty small on a G19

Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Inforce just updated their APL to 400 lumens and also added a APL Compact light that is 200 lumens and is flush with the muzzle of a G19.

I might try out the APL Compact once it actually goes on sale.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Inforce just updated their APL to 400 lumens and also added a APL Compact light that is 200 lumens and is flush with the muzzle of a G19.

View Quote

Nice! Didn't even see this. SHOT coverage here has really gone down hill since everyone wants to take videos. I was just pictures.

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nice! Didn't even see this. SHOT coverage here has really gone down hill since everyone wants to take videos. I was just pictures.

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/img_7357.jpg
View Quote

I think the new Inforce would be where I would go.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/img_7357.jpg
View Quote

Can't be said enough times.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I just want SHOT show pictures, not videos.

Stop taking videos of yourself and just post some damn pictures.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glad I decided to wait and see if they upgraded the APL. Almost no word of this anywhere. Just saw it on the Inforce IG.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Glad I decided to wait and see if they upgraded the APL. Almost no word of this anywhere. Just saw it on the Inforce IG.
View Quote

Same here. Was waiting for it and missed it until I saw it on a youtube video a couple days ago. Still almost no info on the new compact version which fixes all the "wishes" people ask for the XC-1.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#27]
It's so much the lumens as it is the beam. If the APL compact has a nice beam it will be infinitely more useful than the XC1, including the battery being a CR2. I certainly wouldn't put an alkaline AAA in a $200 light and a lithium AAA is the same price as a CR2 and just as available.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I've been looking at the XC1 for a little while now, glad I came across this thread. I did hear about the battery issue but didnt think it was that common. I guess i'll buy another TLR.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Just picked up an XC1 and a Raven Concealment Morrigan for my M&P40.  Paying wholesale for the XC1 helps take the sting out of it!  I'm pretty happy with the RCS Morrigan, and the price wasn't bad either ($60, quick shipping).

I actually don't mind the momentary switching, actually wish the X300's had a similar switch setup (push down to activate, I don't really like the X300's push forward for momentary setup.)

I knew the throw and effective light output wouldn't be amazing, but it is certainly better than no light at all.  

There main drawback to any of the other options listed in this thread is a complete lack of holster support.  Maybe there are more choices for a G19/G23, but few if any besides full custom for anything else.  And a full custom would cost a lot and take awhile to get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top