Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2016 10:28:27 AM EDT
I am sure I am going to be called stupid here. I am relatively old school with my sights. This is my first non iron sight. I have always used Trijicon sights and have their HD's on all my pistols. I love them.

I just bought an FNX Tactical to mess with an RMR. I have an RM07. I have yet to fire with the optic, but I have some concerns. As I understand, this optic is supposed to be a standalone device, even though i do have backup irons.

First, major issue: The dot moves when my head moves (angle of sight changes). From my little knowledge on this subject, I gather that, assuming properly sighted in, where the dot is is where the round will go. I don't see how this can be possible. If i look at the pistol, using my iron sights as a reference, when i look dead on, the dot is right on my front sight... cool, proper.... well, then i move my head or eye ever so slightly, and the dot is now very far from the front sight... I havent moved the pistol at all, so the dot should not be in a different spot... i am assuming if I am dead center with the pistol, and then move my head and shoot, the pistol will remain true... not so with my optic.

Am i making any sense?  By rotating my head around like an idiot, my dot works a circular pattern around the target, while my front sight remains dead on.

Second issue: Depending on lighting conditions (regardless of brightness of the optic), the dot is very fuzzy and increases in size in low light situations. It pitch black, the bloom almost covers the entire glass face of the RMR. Is mine broken, or is it my eyes? If i take a picture with my cell phone, the dot is a dot.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe the moving dot issue goes away when you aim at distance.

So it looks bad on something at 5 feet, but not as noticeable at 5 yards etc.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes and No.

1.  The dot appearing to move is not a problem.  No matter where the dot appears in the screen, the round will still hit where the dot is (if properly zeroed).  It does not have to appear to coincide with the iron sights.

2. Too Bright so as to be unusable, even ridiculous.   a.  You might have astigmatism.  b.  I have complained to Trijicon about that problem.  The older RMRs didn't used to do that but the newer ones have changed.  RMRs which do that are working within the factory specs  The Triicon factory reps claim that this is what people want.  If you send it back to them they MIGHT be able to make a very slight improvement or have no change at all.  They will tell you that that is what is.    They do admit to having gone to a cheaper supplier for their electronics,  which is probably why much of their stuff now is crap.  

I have written about this previously here on the forum and people did not believe me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:44:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am sure I am going to be called stupid here. I am relatively old school with my sights. This is my first non iron sight. I have always used Trijicon sights and have their HD's on all my pistols. I love them.

I just bought an FNX Tactical to mess with an RMR. I have an RM07. I have yet to fire with the optic, but I have some concerns. As I understand, this optic is supposed to be a standalone device, even though i do have backup irons.

First, major issue: The dot moves when my head moves (angle of sight changes). From my little knowledge on this subject, I gather that, assuming properly sighted in, where the dot is is where the round will go. I don't see how this can be possible. If i look at the pistol, using my iron sights as a reference, when i look dead on, the dot is right on my front sight... cool, proper.... well, then i move my head or eye ever so slightly, and the dot is now very far from the front sight... I havent moved the pistol at all, so the dot should not be in a different spot... i am assuming if I am dead center with the pistol, and then move my head and shoot, the pistol will remain true... not so with my optic.

Am i making any sense?  By rotating my head around like an idiot, my dot works a circular pattern around the target, while my front sight remains dead on.

Second issue: Depending on lighting conditions (regardless of brightness of the optic), the dot is very fuzzy and increases in size in low light situations. It pitch black, the bloom almost covers the entire glass face of the RMR. Is mine broken, or is it my eyes? If i take a picture with my cell phone, the dot is a dot.
View Quote

Not really

Sounds like you're describing parallax

Of course it's going to be off somewhat if you've got your head off to the side at some odd angle

It's the same principle with your iron sights, you can't just line up the front sight from an angle. You line the front and rear sight up with the target

If you move too far out of position the dot will disappear long before it's way off target
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you have an astigmatism?  That will/could explain the non-crisp dot. Been there done that. Worse the astigmatism the worse the bloom.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is normal, the RM07 has automatic adjustment based on lighting conditions. If you do not like this function, you can change it by manually adjusting the brightness up or down and it will stay at that setting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top