Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2016 9:20:58 PM EDT
Anyone know of a good single/dual magazine pouch for double stack 9mm/40 mags that hangs low on a 1.5" belt? I wind up sitting down or driving for a good portion of my workday, and I typically keep my mags on the front of my belt, say 10 or 11 O'clock.

As you can imagine, this is extremely uncomfortable. Most mag pouches sit high on the belt. While this is good for concealment, it's a PITA when you sit down,(Or if you've got a keg instead of a six-pack) and moving pouches around on your belt gets to be annoying.

I would prefer leather, as it's less conspicuous,(Not uber-tactical. I used to carry my Buck lockblade in a leather holster) but nylon works. I'm also a little adverse to open-top designs like most kydex, which usually sit really high up on the belt.

I've looked high and low, tried at least a dozen different pouches,including molle, Malice/Alice clip and basic belt loops, to no avail. Best I have found is a horizontal mag pouch, either from Retro or SHTF, which takes up the same space on my belt as a standard double, but holds only one mag.(Not to mention retraining and keeping mags in two different places, which is annoying)

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:53:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not wear it in the 8-9 o'clock?   Much more comfortable there
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
You could also try a nylon multi tool pouch.  not sure if a double stack will fit though.
I use one from my Gerber multi tool when I carry single stack for a 1911. Works great and it sits pretty low on the belt.
There are some multi tools out there that are larger, like some of the Leathermans, you may have to test fit a few to find one that works for you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always had my handgun mags right on the front of my belt, it's how I was taught.

Changing habits is a PITA, so I'm hoping to adjust my equipment before I muck with years of practice.

ETA: Will looking into multitool pouches, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
In plain clothes, I always wear at 8-9 o'clock.  In full battle rattle, my pistol mags ar at 11.   I have done this for al out 20 years and ever have an issue  damn near all guys I work with do the same and no issues at all
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Other than force of habit, my problem with shifting stuff around is that I carry a bunch of crap on my belt. Flashlight, knife, gun, mags, carabineer, keys, personal cell phone, work phone, radio, a handful of tools, suspenders and other junk.

I used to wonder why my old man wore suspenders. I now know exactly why; that 21-ounce hammer weighs about twelve pounds at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:14:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Other than force of habit, my problem with shifting stuff around is that I carry a bunch of crap on my belt. Flashlight, knife, gun, mags, carabineer, keys, personal cell phone, work phone, radio, a handful of tools, suspenders and other junk.

I used to wonder why my old man wore suspenders. I now know exactly why; that 21-ounce hammer weighs about twelve pounds at the end of the day.
View Quote

I carry a bunch of crap too, but why all that on your belt? Couldn't you relocate some of those items to pockets to distribute the weight?

FWIW I carry my spare mag upfront too, just to the left of my centerline.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:42:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I carry a bunch of crap too, but why all that on your belt? Couldn't you relocate some of those items to pockets to distribute the weight?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used to. Got sick of it, since fishing something out of a pants pocket while you're in a ceiling or crawlspace and wearing gloves is a pain in the ass.(We are required to wear gloves, safety glasses and hard hats on all jobs, residential or commercial. And god forbid if there's any machinery, then you've got the retard-ready reflective vests.) Plus the el-cheapo brand uniform pants I'm stuck with start to grow holes in the pockets in less than a month. After I lost a $40 flashlight and $300 phone, I just piled more crap on my belt instead.

Never understood the point of a collared button-down shirt and uniform pants when you wind up covered in dirt, dust or mud at least 3 days a week, if not more. I guarantee we look ridiculous with all the PPE.

ETA: Getting stabbed in the ass with the screwdriver you left in your back pocket because some fuckwit who doesn't speak english shoves your ladder out of his way while you're up in the ceiling is not fun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Used to. Got sick of it, since fishing something out of a pants pocket while you're in a ceiling or crawlspace and wearing gloves is a pain in the ass.(We are required to wear gloves, safety glasses and hard hats on all jobs, residential or commercial. And god forbid if there's any machinery, then you've got the retard-ready reflective vests.) Plus the el-cheapo brand uniform pants I'm stuck with start to grow holes in the pockets in less than a month. After I lost a $40 flashlight and $300 phone, I just piled more crap on my belt instead.

Never understood the point of a collared button-down shirt and uniform pants when you wind up covered in dirt, dust or mud at least 3 days a week, if not more. I guarantee we look ridiculous with all the PPE.

ETA: Getting stabbed in the ass with the screwdriver you left in your back pocket because some fuckwit who doesn't speak english shoves your ladder out of his way while you're up in the ceiling is not fun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hah, I got you now. I should have read your original post a little closer, I didn't realize you meant having to carry the extra stuff all day at work.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]
No worries, most people assume that all companies are against concealed carry. "Workplace violence," they call it. I'll probably just order some horizontal carriers from SHTF and call it a day.

If there's one benefit that came from having to work with tools my whole life, I've finally found the perfect tactical glove. Ever seen Maxiflex Ultimate? Amazing little things. Razors and raw sheet metal won't go through 'em, but they're almost as tactile as wearing skintight surgical gloves. Needles, steel shavings and other pointy things poke right through, but otherwise, they're pretty cut resistant. Plus, they're like $5 a pair.

Have yet to melt them when running my AK, too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Would horizontal carry work?  I'm using a horizontal from http://www.bawidamann.com/shop/Propaganda%20%3E%20Misc for a Shield mag on the weekends and it has been great so far.  I also have one for G17 mags but haven't actually worn it yet.  Only downside I've seen so far is that the Glock version is super tight (will require significant use to loosen it up and make it ready for carry) and both could stand a little polishing in terms of rounding sharp edges here and there.  Otherwise I like the concept for many of the reasons listed in the OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top