Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2015 12:19:26 PM EDT
Ok, I have a bunch of questions on how to more effectively carry my G19, so any tips and links are appreciated, I will try to keep this post to the important points.

I know people really don't pay attention to printing much, other than other gun guys, but I'm still in the new phase where it bothers me. I normally carry with a crossbreed supertuck at about the 3:30 position, which works great in the wintertime with a jacket, but now its t-shirt and shorts weather, it prints a bit. I'm looking at maybe appendix carry, where it won't be as noticeable on my stomach.

Also, where do you normally carry your spare mag/s? I haven't taken that step yet, but it's definitely coming up, just wanting to hear some input about it.

Any other tips/tricks for hiding your gun better are greatly appreciated, and I'm sure I'll think of more questions, so I'll keep asking here.

ETA: any tips on tucking in shirts with the supertuck? Every time I try and tuck a shirt with it, it prints worse than not tucking.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I find my setup prints much less if I wear it more like 430 or 500, this puts the grip flat on more of the same line as the contour of your body. At 3-330 the grip is on the most curved part of your side and tends to show more.
If you sit for long periods and don't have a flat "perfect ARFCOM spec" body then AIWB carry might not be the best for you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a Glock 43.  I switched from a G19 to a Shield for the same reason, it ends up being more comfortable too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have found that mine prints less if carried at the 4-5 o'clock position.  Glock 22.
I have recently started to carry AIWB with a Glock 27 and found that it conceals very well.  I carry my spare G22 magazine IWB at around my 1 o'clock position. I like how AIWB is center line of the body and is a comfortable way to carry and conceal a firearm.  Well for me anyway as always YMMV.
I also have found that heavier cotton shirts print less than UA type shirts and that darker colors conceal and print less than lighter colors.  I pretty much live in shorts and t-shirts year round and really have no problems concealing any of the firearms I carry.  
I have also found that a quality belt and holster make carrying and concealing a firearm so much easier and so much more comfortable as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Put a foam wedge near the bottom of the holster. This will help keep the frame of the gun tucked in to your belly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're worried about printing, I suggest appendix carry. I was in your shoes when I first started carrying concealed and after trying several different holsters and positions on and around the hip, I finally tried appendix and now that's the only way I carry. Around 1 o'clock position I have found to work best.

It takes some getting used to but it conceals better and, for most anyhow, it makes the draw faster and easier. Of course practice always makes perfect, but I have found it to be a superior way for me to carry. Just make sure you have a quality gun belt and holster.

For spare mags, I usually carry around the 11 o'clock position as it puts them right in front and makes them easily accessible and concealable as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:44:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Crossbreed is a good holster. Try using a stiffer belt that fills the belt loops more. I also find that wearing your shorts/pants a little higher helps. Like the other posters have said, try wearing it further back, because a g19 grip pokes out on me at the 330ish position. Last thing, ditch the extra mag in the summer. Between keys, phone, wallet and Copenhagen, you already have enough shit on you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crossbreed is a good holster. Try using a stiffer belt that fills the belt loops more. I also find that wearing your shorts/pants a little higher helps. Like the other posters have said, try wearing it further back, because a g19 grip pokes out on me at the 330ish position. Last thing, ditch the extra mag in the summer. Between keys, phone, wallet and Copenhagen, you already have enough shit on you.
View Quote

Better idea: ditch Copenhagen and keep the spare mag. You have enough shit giving you cancer everyday.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you're worried about printing, I suggest appendix carry. I was in your shoes when I first started carrying concealed and after trying several different holsters and positions on and around the hip, I finally tried appendix and now that's the only way I carry. Around 1 o'clock position I have found to work best.

It takes some getting used to but it conceals better and, for most anyhow, it makes the draw faster and easier. Of course practice always makes perfect, but I have found it to be a superior way for me to carry. Just make sure you have a quality gun belt and holster.

For spare mags, I usually carry around the 11 o'clock position as it puts them right in front and makes them easily accessible and concealable as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wear a crossbreed belt as well, not sure if that's a decent enough belt. I'm looking for a decent appendix holster, who makes the best?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Better idea: ditch Copenhagen and keep the spare mag. You have enough shit giving you cancer everyday.

No, I refuse to trade my mouth cancer for lead poisoning from being too close to the boolits! This is arfcom, I shall have both!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been carrying a Glock 19 for around 12 years now. I started off carrying IWB at the 3-3:30 position and made it work. I switched to the Raven Concealment Systems Vanguard 2 about three years ago and found that I liked AIWB better than traditional IWB carry. I found that when carrying my G19 AIWB I did not have to worry about printing when bending over or sitting down. Also, AIWB carry did not cause me any back pain when sitting for long periods of time in my car. Unfortunately the Vanguard 2 does not facilitate re-holstering a firearm with one hand. I ended up purchasing a Phlster Access holster and love it. With the Access I can wear my G19 under my shirt, tucked or untucked, and reholster my firearm with one hand.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been carrying in an RCS Eidolon since January, it's awesome.  Plus if you hate AIWB you can convert it to carry anywhere else.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
A good carry belt is a stiff belt. Stiff means that the belt doesn't flex especially on the backside. Any holster affixed to the back of the belt is going to pull away from your body - with the belt - whenever you bend forward. This results in the butt of the gun sticking out away from your back. Your shirt can hang up on it resulting in a really bad print, or the gun could be inadvertently exposed. I prefer not to carry behind the hip.

Appendix carry all the way for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top