Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2015 1:34:54 AM EDT
Ok - so here is the full video review I did on the Alien Gear Cloak Slide holster for the Springfield XDS-4.0 in .45acp...

The short is that I don't think this is a safe holster for two reasons.  
1) The belt loop straps are too narrow and not enough material around the grommets.  This could cause a failure and an unsafe condition.
2) There is excess leather on the back that interferes with drawing the weapon.  This can cause a bad draw, a dropped gun, or other catastrophic conditions.
I cannot recommend the Alien Gear Cloak Slide for the Springfield XDS to anyone until Alien Gear fixes those issues.  
For $35.00, I can overlook many many things, but safety factors are not one of them.  
I will be taking advantage of their 30 day warranty and I will be sending this holster back.  

If someday in the future they decide to fix those issues, I will be willing to try them again - but I can't trust my life to a holster that may keep me from drawing my weapon.  It's my opinion that the holster was neither designed nor QC'd by a "shooter."

Click HERE FOR THE FULL REVIEW VIDEO
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:51:02 AM EDT
[#1]
After viewing the video I'd say that both your points are quite valid.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After viewing the video I'd say that both your points are quite valid.

View Quote

Yep, and well done video.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree about the belt loops seeming like a weak point and I was not happy when I first saw them, but they have performed flawlessly for me.  The leather backing does not interfere with the Glock grip profile like it did with your Springfield, though my M9A1 seems to fit somewhere in between. I also have their cloak tuck 2.0 which is actually a very comfortable and effective IWB.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Great review! I was actually looking at buying a couple of these holsters, but I will hold off for now. I think the grip clearance and belt loop issues are easy fixes for Alien Gear.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the feedback on the video.  

I also want to make it very clear that I'm not bashing the company as a whole.  My experience is limited to this specific holster with this specific gun.  
When Alien Gear makes their holsters they seem to be concentrating on the shell - which is understandable - and they use a single back piece for each weapon.  
It just happens to be that this back piece is too tall for the XDS and it needs to be modified.  

If they fixed the belt loops and fixed the finger clearance, I'd use this holster - and for $35.00 I'd probably even purchase another one.  
However, because this, to me, is a safety issue - I just can't.  

I am sincerely hoping that Alien Gear sees my reviews and makes an effort to change what I feel are safety issues.  Once that happens, I'll be more than happy to give them a second chance.

Also, keep in mind that with other gun combinations (as mentioned above), the clearance issues may not manifest.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I was going to give you a hard time about your "interview" stance, but, I was set aside by the awesome review. Nice job!

Nice to see a sense of humor in videos too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Jeremy,

Great video, I agree, the belt loops are a serious safety issue, who wants to be out and about just to have your holstered weapon break free from one's belt, to drop to the ground and make your gun ANYONE's gun.

Second, the clearance between the grip of the weapon and the top of the holster being so narrow, a bad draw is pretty much what is going to happen when precious fractions of  seconds count.

Excellent video.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Good review, thanks.

I'm not a fan of kydex from any holster maker.  I DO have a Crossbreed OWB holster for my XDs .45, and it works great, but the good-old all leather belt slide (pancake) holster seems to be the best for all my other guns, so I just ordered one for the XDs.  The Crossbreed wasn't expensive since I pretty much only shop their Seconds website, but the leather pancake style seems to pull the gun in much tighter and closer than any of the kydex holsters I've tried.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Belt loops look like they could be improved, but the leather issue is a 3 minute fix with a razor.

I've trimmed a $90 Crossbreed Supertuck to provide Zero interference and I've trimmed an Alien Gear IWB holster to provide my desired level of clearance. That's just one of the issues that is going to come with a universal sized backing. I, for one, will gladly trace and trim where I want to and save a couple bucks (I'm looking at you, Crossbreed combat cut option) than to have them arbitrarily decide where they need to cut it. Your issue is only an issue if a guy is afraid of knives.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Good review! You should talk with the guys at Motley Roosters.
I have one of there IWB's but their OWB's are way better quality than the alien you showed. Plus they are hand made and not mass produced.

thanks for the vid, I was thinking about alien also in my decision process...im glad I went elsewhere!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried one too but sent it back. The neoprene was wearing really badly from the safety on my 1911. Ordered a Sparks VM 2, should have done that in the first place. I did order a IWB from Squared Away Customs for my Shield. Looks good in the photos. We'll see how that works.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad i went with leather instead of the neoprene
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top