Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2014 3:42:50 AM EDT
I'm pretty disappointed to say the least. Feels great, looks great, very comfortable but will not release my gun when I'm wearing it. (Yes my pants fit right, yes I have a proper belt)
First dozen times holstering and re-holstering by hand took some kydex shavings with it. Very stiff taking it out but it did come out. Wearing it... I'm tugging on this sumbitch all day long and it ain't coming out.

Anyone else had this problem? I'm taking it back to where I bought it in the morning but debating on if I should try another.

Firearm is a 5" Springfield 1911 half rail. (holster is made for 5" models with half rail)

Thanks, -J
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are sure that is the right holster, You should call Galco and see what they say.
Or you could take a blow dryer and reform it a bit.   My K tuk for a CZ P01 does not act that way.
 Is it the rail hanging up on the lower edge?
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The holster isn't made for my gun in particular. It's just a generic one size fits all/most type deal. (it says kimber 1911 half rail 5")

From what I can tell, it's hooking the front sight, trigger and slide.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
My CrossBreed came with the use a heat gun or blow dryer to adjust fit, did the Galco too?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I stick mine over the stove for a few seconds install the weapon and move it in and out while it's still hot. That should take care of problem. My hair dryer never got it hot enough and I don't have a heat gun. Be careful and don't get it to close to the burner.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a 1911 3" Kingtuk that was tight, the instructions tell you to wrap gun in plastic wrap. Use one or two layers depending on how you like it to retain and leave it in there for a couple days in between using holster. It works good and fits two different brand 3" 1911's perfect now.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm jealous, my king tuck was nice and tight.  It cracked after a year or so and I sent it in for repair.  They fixed it, but it's super loose now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Update: Took it back and tried another, same issue. Lucky they refunded my money.

As most people have recommended (as well as guys at the shop) do XYZ for break-in and your problem
should
View Quote
go away. Personally... if a couple hours holstering/reholstering and wearing it doesn't fix my problem, I'm not willing to jerry rig it till it does. That was my first time with a hybrid kydex/leather holster and I was truly impressed. Still bummed it didn't work out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#8]
That is to bad it you feel that is should only take a few hours break in, my kingtuks are some of the nicest hybrid holsters I have used. It takes roughly a week of carrying for the leather to start and mold to your body and a little messaging to get the gun retention how you want it. Every 1911 is going to be slightly different in machining to fit in kydex mold so you will always need some break in. You may need to just look into the all leather IWB's to fit your needs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top