Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2014 11:35:51 PM EDT
Hoping to get a good holster recommendation for a Glock 17 with a Surefire X300 or X300U. I haven't had a ton of light bearing holsters, mostly because the one I used the most was massively disapointing. I bought a Safariland 5188-832-411 and while it is supposed to work with a G17/G19 with a TLR-1, Insight M3 or Surefire X200, but it never really seemed to have adequate retention with any of them. The G17 with the TLR-1 was the best, but even then, it was too loose even after adjusting it-per the instructions. When I say loose, I mean turn the holster upside down and the gun would fall out.

I've been looking at a few Safariland drop-leg holsters, but I'm afraid they'll be loose like the belt holster I had. Maybe I just got a bad holster? I also saw a Blackhawk Omega VI that's a cordura rig that's supposed to accomidate various guns with and without weapon lights.

I've always had drop-legs, so I'm comfortable with them. That being said, I see a lot of guys running what looks like a low hanging belt holster. I'm open to suggestion and appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I post some info tomorrow when I'm on a computer and can link to flicker easier.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hoping to get a good holster recommendation for a Glock 17 with a Surefire X300 or X300U. I haven't had a ton of light bearing holsters, mostly because the one I used the most was massively disapointing. I bought a Safariland 5188-832-411 and while it is supposed to work with a G17/G19 with a TLR-1, Insight M3 or Surefire X200, but it never really seemed to have adequate retention with any of them. The G17 with the TLR-1 was the best, but even then, it was too loose even after adjusting it-per the instructions. When I say loose, I mean turn the holster upside down and the gun would fall out.

I've been looking at a few Safariland drop-leg holsters, but I'm afraid they'll be loose like the belt holster I had. Maybe I just got a bad holster? I also saw a Blackhawk Omega VI that's a cordura rig that's supposed to accomidate various guns with and without weapon lights.

I've always had drop-legs, so I'm comfortable with them. That being said, I see a lot of guys running what looks like a low hanging belt holster. I'm open to suggestion and appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks!
View Quote

Okay, here we go.

I much prefer a duty drop on a belt over a drop leg holster. Seems others are really heading that direction also. Not sure on the issue with the SL. They are usually the best option out there, but that is the issue with you build a for a/b/c light options. The level 2 retention hood is the best mechanism on the market I feel. I think the in towards the body movement of the blade tech is funky.

I use them on my builds for that reason. Only crappy thing is they don't sell them individually so I have to source them used.

_MG_6064 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr

in process photo.
0711140937a by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply! I was surprised that my Safariland was such a bummer, but maybe I just got a bad one? I'm willing to spend the money to get something nice, but I don't want to drop like 175 for the same performance I have now... I wouldn't be opposed to a duty drop, might have to get both lol
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply! I was surprised that my Safariland was such a bummer, but maybe I just got a bad one? I'm willing to spend the money to get something nice, but I don't want to drop like 175 for the same performance I have now... I wouldn't be opposed to a duty drop, might have to get both lol
View Quote

If you go with a drop leg let me know and I'll send you the belt drop so you can try it. I have a bunch laying around since half of the ones I make people want RTI hangers on them.

I have a G17 x300 that is almost done, I'll post some pictures up in the next day or two when it is finished.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
shitty cell pic

1108141805 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#6]
You aren't saying what you want it for but IMO if you're looking at duty type rigs then the Safariland 6360 is the holster to go with.
https://dsgarms.com/safariland-6360-als-lv-iii-mid-ride-ubl-holster-stx-plain-black-glock-17-17c-22-22c
The 6360-832-411 model is X300U capable, has the ALS and SLS system, and a mid ride belt loop. I absolutely hate leg rigs or low drops so I can't help you there. You can always choose the model without the SLS if you're not wanting high retention, the ALS by itself is an excellent retention system for most purposes. I personally don't find the draw stroke much slower with both but YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for the thread neglect. Thanks for the offer! I could definitely use one of those drops, if you're offering. Im going to be using with a plate carrier and I will be in and out of vehicles regularly. I've always had the thigh rig and I'm not opposed to it. That's a known quantity for me, so a duty drop is something I'd be interested in trying. I don't need the retention to defeat a gun grab specifically, but I need something secure enough that the weapon won't come loose while running/jumping/climbing. I'm not wearing a "war belt", just a riggers belt. It just needs to be low enough to not bother with my plate carrier but secure, if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry for the thread neglect. Thanks for the offer! I could definitely use one of those drops, if you're offering. Im going to be using with a plate carrier and I will be in and out of vehicles regularly. I've always had the thigh rig and I'm not opposed to it. That's a known quantity for me, so a duty drop is something I'd be interested in trying. I don't need the retention to defeat a gun grab specifically, but I need something secure enough that the weapon won't come loose while running/jumping/climbing. I'm not wearing a "war belt", just a riggers belt. It just needs to be low enough to not bother with my plate carrier but secure, if that makes sense.
View Quote

Shoot me an im with your address and I'll send you one.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:59:05 AM EDT
[#10]
PM sent. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#11]
no problem
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top