Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2014 8:19:20 PM EDT
my Fenix LD10 just shit the bed after going off the kitchen counter..
For now I'm back to one of my Surefire E2's, great, tough light, but...a little bigger than
I prefer to keep in my pocket 12 - 15 hr's at a time, plus it's not the most efficient technology.
I prefer to have a AA powered light in my pocket and an alternate in the truck.
Ideally, I'm looking for a light thats dual output, maybe 15 lumen s (+ or -) - 100 lumen s (+ or -)
strobe would be good, but not necessary, powered by AA (because of availability) or CR123 with
good run time, controlled by easy to use/ no bs pressure tail cap switch.
Maybe 4" - 5" x 1" - 1.25", reasonably durable (more so than the Fenix), which isn't asking a lot.
I dont want to have to read a manual, study programing, spend $200.00 +, etc.
...or do I just keep the E2 in my pocket

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.amazon.com/SureFire-E1D-Defender-Dual-Output-Flashlight/dp/B00JM6V9T4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414457909&sr=8-1&keywords=surefire+e1d

Yeah I know, $160, but you knew the answer before you even asked. Use your E2 until you can save up for the compact or keep having your lights poop-out on you
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I tell everyone who wants a good edc flashlight to buy a Sunwayman v11r.  It runs on cr 123 and rcr 123 (rechargeable 123s). If you buy the extender for it, it will take AA and 14500 rechargeable lithium batteries.  Great options width both common batteries and higher performance lithium batteries.  It has a infinite control for  the light's brightness from .1 lumen to 500 lumen with cr123 or 14500.  AA run around 120 lumens on high.  It has a no bs tail clicky that turns on the level you leave it on the control ring. No double clicks or flashing modes.  I have had my for 1.5 years and it has been submerged, dropped on concrete, dirty, full of graese and still works lime day one.  Looks used but still in great working order.  If I lost it today I would be ordering one immediately to replace it.  It was 89 dollars too.  Run time depends on how high and what battery you use; 35 hours on the lowests setting to 25 minutes at 570 lumens.

Fenix e11 or e12 is another option.  I bought several e 11 for family members and they are all working still.  That was my edc until I Vought the v11r.  The e 11 has been replaced by the e 12.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.amazon.com/SureFire-E1D-Defender-Dual-Output-Flashlight/dp/B00JM6V9T4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414457909&sr=8-1&keywords=surefire+e1d

Yeah I know, $160, but you knew the answer before you even asked. Use your E2 until you can save up for the compact or keep having your lights poop-out on you
View Quote

This is one of those cases where I think shelling out for the surefire is the right way to go.  Also look into the L4 or LX2 line, while the Defender is nice, I find that the aggressive bezel on the Defender models will tear the shit out of your pants or shirt if you're not careful.  The LX2 and older L4 models (L4 is single output) will still have a crenelated bezel, but not nearly as aggressive as the Defender line. It's also about $20-30 less than the Defender, but either one is good, matter of personal preference.  I'm happy with my L4.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks,
I'd checked out the Defender, and was impressed...
but 320 lumen s is a lot of light, great at times, outside, but working on a car, or in relatively tight close up places it's too much and 5 isn't close to enough.
I use my light multiple time a day, mostly where this would seem to be too much light ...or not enough
I'd thought the same about tearing the shit out of pockets, looks like a great light, but I dont think it's right for my everyday needs.
Although longer length, the LX2 looks more suited for my average usage, another option I've found...if still available, is the KX2 conversion head for my E2,
60 lumen s for 6hrs / 3 for 100, doesn't seem like a bad light to have in your pocket all day, every day for multiple usage's through the day.
Still not a AA or AAA light, as I was looking for an alternative power source to my other cr123 lights.
Any experience with Streamlight Pro Tac series, either AA or CR123 ?
Maybe so - so, although I have a TLR1 I'm pleased with.
Probably, like most things...get what you pay for  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
This is my EDC. I am a probation officer and am in and out of a lot of homes searching and its perfect.  

Not as big as my G2X Dual output

and not too bright on high or too dim on light.

Maratac AA Extrreme Tactical
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a LD10 when I need something small.  My main is a Fenix TK15.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my new Fenix PD22,  It small size makes it great to carry.  I keep it on the medium brightness setting as this is usually more than bright enough to blind someone at night. $50 price tag is very nice too.  Don't know if I will ever use the strobe function, but I like how the light remembers what ever the last setting used was.  Four brightness levels and 2 strobe setting give it more than enough flexibility.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Zebralight SC52
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks,
I'd checked out the Defender, and was impressed...
but 320 lumen s is a lot of light, great at times, outside, but working on a car, or in relatively tight close up places it's too much and 5 isn't close to enough.
I use my light multiple time a day, mostly where this would seem to be too much light ...or not enough
I'd thought the same about tearing the shit out of pockets, looks like a great light, but I dont think it's right for my everyday needs.
Although longer length, the LX2 looks more suited for my average usage, another option I've found...if still available, is the KX2 conversion head for my E2,
60 lumen s for 6hrs / 3 for 100, doesn't seem like a bad light to have in your pocket all day, every day for multiple usage's through the day.
Still not a AA or AAA light, as I was looking for an alternative power source to my other cr123 lights.
Any experience with Streamlight Pro Tac series, either AA or CR123 ?
Maybe so - so, although I have a TLR1 I'm pleased with.
Probably, like most things...get what you pay for  
View Quote

Act quick if you want a L4. Yesterday, SF had twice as many lights they were clearing out. Now only a few models remaining, the L4 being one of them:

http://www.surefire.com/gifts-for-men-and-women.html?utm_source=broadcast&utm_medium=hpbanner&utm_campaign=daylight-savings-promo_home-page--2014-10-22
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love my new Fenix PD22,  It small size makes it great to carry.  I keep it on the medium brightness setting as this is usually more than bright enough to blind someone at night. $50 price tag is very nice too.  Don't know if I will ever use the strobe function, but I like how the light remembers what ever the last setting used was.  Four brightness levels and 2 strobe setting give it more than enough flexibility.

View Quote

What I carry every day. Small, light, bright....
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:17:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated.
The evolution in flash lights is very impressive, but I'm not someone who
wants to program a light and read a manual, amazing as a light might be.
The PD22 looks like a great light for edc, but after my LD10 took a dump after falling from the kitchen
counter onto a wooden floor....
I'd rather kick it up on the quality notch, maybe buy once and cry once.
I called surefire and spoke with a cust. service rep, who was very helpful.
I'm thinking my new edc will be an E1L, 90 lumen's for 6 hrs, 5 for 40 hrs
1 CR123 battery, 4" long, 2 settings, momentary or constant on.
Quite pricy but....plenty of light for my intended use, good run time,simple, convenient size,
built like a brick shit house with a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to carry a polytac. I have since started carrying an x300 in my pocket. I can do everything I do with a normal handheld, plus if needed I can slap it on the pistol.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#13]
check out 4sevens.

been my EDC for a coupla yrs.now.

clown
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#14]
The PD22 looks like a great light for edc, but after my LD10 took a dump after falling from the kitchen
View Quote

Mine has been drooped, stepped on, kicked, rolled over by a car, & used for an under water excursion in a canal to find a friends phone he dropped.
It's a single 123 battery so it's less parts.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I carry a surefire E1D defender. I think you can find them for 150 through eBay/Amazon
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated.
The evolution in flash lights is very impressive, but I'm not someone who
wants to program a light and read a manual, amazing as a light might be.
I'd rather kick it up on the quality notch, maybe buy once and cry once.
I called surefire and spoke with a cust. service rep, who was very helpful.
I'm thinking my new edc will be an E1L, 90 lumen's for 6 hrs, 5 for 40 hrs
1 CR123 battery, 4" long, 2 settings, momentary or constant on.
Quite pricy but....plenty of light for my intended use, good run time,simple, convenient size,
built like a brick shit house with a lifetime warranty.
View Quote

Funny, I was just coming to ask the same question since my Fenix PD20 just crapped out on me. I loved this little flashlight and it's resided in my front pocket for the last 4 years. The light has been pretty much babied and only has a few light scratches on the anodizing. Internally it looks brand new but it's just not working. I've thought of sending it back to Fenix to see if they'll fix it but I'm not sure if that's the way I want to go.

I reckon I'm just disappointed my PD20 turned out to be Chinese crap.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I carry a fenix E15. CR123 instead of the AA you say you want, but 170 (or 80 or 10) lumens, and $25 or so.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I ordered a Surefire E1L A from a local dealer, saved about $20.00 from the  best on line deal and kept the business local.
I did check out the lights suggested, and I'm sure they're impressive, as was the Fenix I had, although most had a common denominator....
china.
I spent more money for fewer bell's and whistle's that I dont want or need, for a light that has what I need and want, is built in America
and is warrantied for my life time.

As always, your feedback is appreciated
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:19:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Streamlight ProTac 2L. Light, compact, bright as hell. Long battery life and cost effective.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I carry a Fenix LD12 every day.  My job requires me to use a flashlight a lot, and we can get AA batteries from the tool crib.  I would opt for a CR123 light if it were for the free AA's, but my LD12 has been great.  It's been dropped several times (at least twice onto concrete) over the course of a year, and it's still going strong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top