Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2014 11:12:51 AM EDT
I am seeking feedback on Safariland GLS holsters and leather holsters that are on belt models for CCW.

The problem I have right now is I have tried the GLS and a Galco leather CCW belt holster with some issues. What is happening is with the GLS the gun doesn't release easy enough for me to make a smooth draw, thus it pulls my belt up really hard (darn near a wedgie). I tried adjusting the tension screw, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone know if the entire GLS release can be removed for just a holster, it looks like it but wasn't sure?

My Galco leather belt CCW holster has no safe guard, just straight draw, but it too does not draw clean and will hold my gun pretty darn snug. It too has much of the same issues as the Safariland GLS. I am using it with a good quality leather belt, but I am pretty slim and toned build. So far I have not found a good quality holster that will give me a smooth clean draw for CCW.

Any advice on what to try for the holsters I have now or maybe others? It seems like there should be some way of getting a nice draw without jerking my belt so darn hard all the time.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Few things-

1- do you have modifications to your firearm that are different than stock and are your holsters built to compensate for them? Are you trying to make a holster built for one thing work with something else?

2- what belt are you using? You say "quality leather" but it sure sounds like you are having classic signs of shitty belt.  You might want to try an Ares belt or something similar.

3- try a properly made non adjustable kydex holster.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Few things-

1- do you have modifications to your firearm that are different than stock and are your holsters built to compensate for them? Are you trying to make a holster built for one thing work with something else?

2- what belt are you using? You say "quality leather" but it sure sounds like you are having classic signs of shitty belt.  You might want to try an Ares belt or something similar.

View Quote

The only thing I have on the gun different is a laser, which is molded around the grip. It seems to fit just fine and I talk with both Safariland and Galco that said they will work with those models of lasers. My belts are all $40 + leather belts like from LL Bean, Orvis, etc. I am a thin and toned person so unless I cut off my circulation, the belt is as tight as I can get and still be able to sit down. :)

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The only thing I have on the gun different is a laser, which is molded around the grip. It seems to fit just fine and I talk with both Safariland and Galco that said they will work with those models of lasers. My belts are all $40 + leather belts like from LL Bean, Orvis, etc. I am a thin and toned person so unless I cut off my circulation, the belt is as tight as I can get and still be able to sit down. :)

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Few things-

Thanks

I would assume that is your problem then, LL bean and Orvis doesn't make gun belts.  

Your belts are not gun belts. They are not designed for use with stabilizing a holster.  Not only does a gun belt keep you from printing but it provides a stable platform for the draw.

I wear a size 32 waist and I have no hips or gut to speak of.  You should try an ares belt and you won't need to cinch it so tight after the initial break in.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
What durabo says is all true.
But you may also need some of Galco's "EzDraw" on that Galco holster.  It is important to "slick up" the inside of holsters that have a rough nap like the Galcos.  Harder leather holsters like DeSantis may not need this but the Galcos definitely do.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I've found Safariland makes great duty gear but their CCW models suck.  Find a good kydex maker (RCS, JM, etc) and go with them.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a THEis belt, well worth the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top