Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2014 1:12:51 AM EDT
So I have an Ares Gear Ranger I bought several years ago before they exploded in popularity.  I weighed 280 plus pounds then, and I had about a 42-44" waist at the time.  I'm 6'5" but I've now lost 100 lbs. and I have a 32" waist.  

I wasn't sure if my weight would come back, I have a demyelinating auto-immune disease, so it's highly likely that it will not ever be coming back.  

Also, what I've found is that being really, REALLY thin allows you to carry SO much easier.  As I was losing weight I bought a 215 Gear size L belt that kept up till the most recent drop from 34" waist to 32".  It's out of low end adjustment and I'll be needing something new.

The stiffness of the double layer scuba webbing on the Ares Gear Ranger was SO good, and it was so well made, that I swore I'd never buy another.  But having the 1.75" belt also seems to be pretty damn comfortable, and my hip bones will probably keep most stiff belts from dropping off even if I do keep losing fat and keeping muscle at this point.  Don't ask it's a long story.  

I've been eyeing SOTECH's belts, and SOE gears belts too.  I may just get another Ares, but I'd be interested to know what else is out there.  I love the sewn in loop on the 215 gear belt, or a D, or V ring would be nice to have, if only to clip a biner to it, etc.  

I've had The Wilderness, Volund Gear Works (also a great belt), Arc'Teryx, and others I can't remember...

If I would buy leather, I know who I'd get, but I'm only looking at nylon makers right now.  Is there anything out there I may have not known about, something say in the past 2-3 years?  
Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Give the Ares Aegis a try, I switched from a ranger to an Aegis and I couldn't be happier, I have a slim frame and I would notice that my cobra buckle would print more than my G19.  I now wear the Aegis and I don't think I'll ever wear another cobra buckle for CCW again.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd Look At Volund.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on losing 100lbs!!

That's a huge achievement. Take a hard look at Volund and Ares gear. Very very good stuff
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats on losing 100lbs!!

That's a huge achievement. Take a hard look at Volund and Ares gear. Very very good stuff
View Quote

It wasn't much of an achievement, as more of shit luck on genetics...  Anyone can lose 100lbs with a disease like Neuro-Bechet's
I'm not harshing your mellow or anything, your comment was meant in the nicest of ways it's just that it's not anything I'd wish on my worst enemy.  

I have a Volund and a Gear Ranger, I'll check out the Aegis guys, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Get with Matt @ Volund.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Give the Ares Aegis a try, I switched from a ranger to an Aegis and I couldn't be happier, I have a slim frame and I would notice that my cobra buckle would print more than my G19.  I now wear the Aegis and I don't think I'll ever wear another cobra buckle for CCW again.
View Quote

The Aegis Enhanced is perfect IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top