Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2014 10:48:01 PM EDT
I just bought a S&W 642 to add to my rotation and need some holster recommendations. I'm looking for a pocket holster and a IWB holster. I've been carrying Glocks, an HK and a Shield in kydex holsters (a CTAC and two ZCS) but I'm thinking probably leather for the 642. Plan on using it as more of a quick on/off "throw in/on for a quick trip or a jog" type use.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to use the Desantis Nemisis, but I've been using the super fly.

Got my j-frame in my pocket right now in this holster.

http://www.desantisholster.com/SUPER-FLY
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the most basic holsters I've made, but I carry with it all the time Appendix IWB.

Link Posted: 5/21/2014 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The Kramer pocket holster is pretty nice in my opinion. Its a little pricey, but the gun looks like a cell phone or wallet if it prints; and the holster always remains in my pocket when I practice drawing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been carrying a S&W 640 in one of these for a couple of years now, and have had no reason to look for anything else.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#5]
For the pocket the $10 Uncle Mikes works for me. For IWB I use an Alessi hard shell.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For the pocket the $10 Uncle Mikes works for me. For IWB I use an Alessi hard shell.
View Quote

Most comfortable IWB for my 642 is hands down is the $10 Uncle Mikes (I think holster is model #36).
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry mine in a Desantis Superfly.  Went with the Superfly over the Nemesis to see how I liked the "flap".  I found the flap too bulky, so I removed it.  Might as well have bought a Nemesis.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I carry mine in a Desantis Superfly.  Went with the Superfly over the Nemesis to see how I liked the "flap".  I found the flap too bulky, so I removed it.  Might as well have bought a Nemesis.
View Quote

I found that the extra bulk helped keep it in my pocket better when I pulled out the pistol...rather than coming out with a holstered pistol that is!
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Fist Holsters 1-K IWB kydex.....

Appendix carry in jeans or running shorts.

Clip never fails
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out high noon holsters.  I've had my 642 in it for about 8 years now, it's my daily carry.  I don't leave home without it!
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I went ahead and bought a Nemesis and a Remora but I'm finding it's a bit bigger than I was hoping for pocket carry. Should still be ok for what I want to use it. I've carried it a few times in an Uncle Mikes ankle holster I had laying around and that wasn't bad. Still deciding which IWB to go with.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#12]
well, you want it big enough that it stays in your pocket if you draw.  

What you don't want is to pull the holstered pistol out if'n you need it.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I went ahead and bought a Nemesis and a Remora but I'm finding it's a bit bigger than I was hoping for pocket carry...
View Quote

What you need is a pocket holster from Simply Rugged.  Reasonably priced with enough leather to break up the outline in the pocket.

Doesn't make you look like you're shoplifting sandwiches, either, like some of the fat designs you  mentioned.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a deSantis Pocket Tuk for my 638 Airlight and I've got no complaints at all.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Check out high noon holsters.  I've had my 642 in it for about 8 years now, it's my daily carry.  I don't leave home without it!
View Quote

I like these as well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Your pocket!
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for the Nemesis.  Great holster for a small light gun.

Been somewhat meaning to find an IWB for my 642... But if I want to carry IWB, I tend to carry a larger gun.  The 642 gets pocket duty when I need very, very high levels of concealment.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#18]
For IWB I have a DeSantis Scorpion but I don't think they make it anymore. ETA: they now offer the "SCORPION II"

I've been looking at the "Micro Carry" from RDR (rounds down range) in FL. It's currently on sale for $28.

https://www.rdrholsters.com/store/display/2226/133/micro-carry-smith-wesson

Looks like a decent minimalist IWB.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Word!

My Bug / M642 goes in my Lfront pocket .  Although Im having a hard time drawing it since I dislocated my  finger.

I'm going to have to try the super fly out. I think it should work well since I wear wrangler cargo shorts

BTW
I bought the Nemesis that fits the Colt Detective SP  instead of the M642.  reason I think it fits the M642 better. I wanted the trigger guard to be completely covered

WARNING
Nemesis I think works best when wearing Cargo pants or shorts. or slacks like Dockers  etc.! big pockets

Uncle Mike of Blackhawk works well with  close fitting pants or shorts like blue jeans
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've been carrying a S&W 640 in one of these for a couple of years now, and have had no reason to look for anything else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I could pull it off!!  

If I could I never would use a S&W AW again.

Ive tried the M640 and M649  in 357 and a M640 in 38spl+P and they are just to heavy for  me . Maybe because I wear cargo shorts.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought one at walmart before getting the nemesis  and it worked okay. I also think it works best with blue jeans
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top