Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2017 12:30:46 AM EDT
Let's say you're attacked by a ferocious pittbull terrier or rotweiller. What would you want your handgun loaded with?

I have a hunch a light faster bullet like Federal 9PBLE would be better more often than not ... but I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:41:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I shot a coyote once with a 45acp. OK I didn't mean I shot it just once, I had to shoot it a number of times and I wasn't impressed. I do think a front on hit with most any good self defense ammunition would make a dog quit biting you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:47:04 AM EDT
[#2]
They move so fast youd probably have better luck with oc
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:13:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure 9mm/45acp/10mm would all work well 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess its true that
Fast hits to center would matter most, really.

Ive seen a few videos of cops missing because they waited too long to shoot as well, so ill keep that in mind
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I would shoot it with the same 147 gr HST that's always in my SD gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:25:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I watched a full sized pit bull drop like a sack of potatoes when it was hit with a 45acp HP round. But it was shot right between the eyes, not unlike 1200 pound steers that drop when shot with a 22lr in cattle yards. Shot placement is more important than bullet size within reason. Any good anti-personnel 9mm-38-40-10mm-44-45 caliber handgun bullet will do the job if you hit them right.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#7]
When I got bit last year (I was unarmed at work) it happened so fast I probably wouldn't have had a chance to even draw before he got my arm. But I'm confident any modern 9/40/45 loaded with quality defensive ammo would have done the trick. 
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had to shoot a couple wild dogs on some of our farms while I was out poking around, the first time I had a S&W 686 with 38sp +p hollow points. 1 shot dropped a rottweiler size dog IIRC. The next time all I had was a .22lr Marlin 39, I probably shot at this lab sized dog (or at least at it ) 5-6 times while it was running at me and I was walking backwards but it dropped before it got to me.

I would think 9-40-45 (whatever you're carrying) HP's would be plenty sufficient.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would think that if your ammo is appropriate to stop a 200 pound human it should be fine against a 60 pound dog. Unless dogs are made of something new these days.
View Quote
I think you are right it just seems dogs, mean dogs, are more likely to absorb several handgun rounds like it doesn't bother them. I've considered switching but decided to yes, just try to have good shot placement. I don't know what threat I might face so I'll just carry my usual carry ammo.

If I expected dog trouble though, I'd probably switch out my 200gr XTP for a faster 155gr 10mm bullet. Either will do though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Just like almost any other large animal only a CNS hit will work instantly.

I would trust the directions from one of my LE instructors.

"Feed them the barrel and pull the trigger."
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think you are right it just seems dogs, mean dogs, are more likely to absorb several handgun rounds like it doesn't bother them. I've considered switching but decided to yes, just try to have good shot placement. I don't know what threat I might face so I'll just carry my usual carry ammo.

If I expected dog trouble though, I'd probably switch out my 200gr XTP for a faster 155gr 10mm bullet. Either will do though.
View Quote
A mean dog is somehow more resistant to bullets than a 200+ pound junkie hopped up on bath salts, PCP, or some other chemical of the day?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A mean dog is somehow more resistant to bullets than a 200+ pound junkie hopped up on bath salts, PCP, or some other chemical of the day?
View Quote
Seems those pitbulls soak up 9mm pretty well sometimes, but again so do crackheads. On an individual basis i suppose it would depend on the crackhead or dog.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"Feed then the barrel and pull the trigger."
View Quote
Id rather shoot them before getting that close. Ive seen that in a video and the dog knocked the gun to the side.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Id rather shoot them before getting that close. Ive seen that in a video and the dog knocked the gun to the side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Feed then the barrel and pull the trigger."
A wild one shoot for the head at distance.

Any dog close enough ti feed the barrel to feed and fire.

It is called timing.

You need a CNS hit if you are withing fang range no mater what.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#17]
CNS is the way to go but i think break8ng bones would help slow it down too.

Will keep working on my draw and shoot dkills i guess.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Junkies on the above drugs are pretty ammune to handguns. Considering 85% of people shot with a handgun survive. Soa wild animal with a will to survive is something to to tangle with
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Not to derail the subject ... but i think thise druggies are a good reason to carry a round that penetrates on the deeper side.  Dont want to have it stip before hitting the spine
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#20]
You may have to take a bite with a larger dog with any training.

It will try and bite and hold on.

If you can protect your off hand let it have a grab.

Now blow its brains out with your gun hand.

I got to practice at least a few ties with a trained dog and a dummy gun.

A heavy leather training glove to protect your hand.

One of the other guys was hurt anyway.
His first reaction when the dog tried to grab onto the glove was to pull back.

You push the glove into the dogs mouth further.

It removes some of the mechanical advantage of the dogs jaws/muscles  if the mouth is open wider.

Remember not to hit your hand when shooting at the dos head.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#21]
When I lived out in the country in Indiana we had packs of wild stray dogs.  There was a young boy that lived down the road that was mauled by several dogs before his father was able to chase off the dogs.  After that any dog that was not with a human was fair game.  I shot a couple with my SKS and a few with handguns.  357 Mag with 110gr HP Winchester White Box and with 180gr Hydra Shocks from my Glock 23.  The average size of the dog I would say was around 50-60lbs I would guess.  The SKS of course was superior to the handguns but the 357 Mag with it's 6 inch barrel hit harder than the .40S&W did.  None of the dogs were running towards me though.  Most were within 25-30ish yards and were either standing broad side or started running away.  

With this said I don't know that anything other than say my 357Mag or possibly larger would stop a charging Pit, Rott, or other larger breed dog such as a Mastiff if they are angry.  I would try for the CNS or at least break large structural bone.  Just like with drugged out people who soak up multiple shots.  Take out a hip or pelvis and they are not going to as mobile if at all.  That's how we were trained anyways.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When I lived out in the country in Indiana we had packs of wild stray dogs.  There was a young boy that lived down the road that was mauled by several dogs before his father was able to chase off the dogs.  After that any dog that was not with a human was fair game.  I shot a couple with my SKS and a few with handguns.  357 Mag with 110gr HP Winchester White Box and with 180gr Hydra Shocks from my Glock 23.  The average size of the dog I would say was around 50-60lbs I would guess.  The SKS of course was superior to the handguns but the 357 Mag with it's 6 inch barrel hit harder than the .40S&W did.  None of the dogs were running towards me though.  Most were within 25-30ish yards and were either standing broad side or started running away.  

With this said I don't know that anything other than say my 357Mag or possibly larger would stop a charging Pit, Rott, or other larger breed dog such as a Mastiff if they are angry.  I would try for the CNS or at least break large structural bone.  Just like with drugged out people who soak up multiple shots.  Take out a hip or pelvis and they are not going to as mobile if at all.  That's how we were trained anyways.
View Quote
Thanks for sharing your experience. Nowagays ive been carrying 10mm 200gr xtp and planned to aim for the shoulders or hip bones if possible.

I also have a full size USMC Ka-bar they are welcome to chew on.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Nowagays ive been carrying 10mm 200gr xtp and planned to aim for the shoulders or hip bones if possible.

I also have a full size USMC Ka-bar they are welcome to chew on.
View Quote
I think the 200gr XTP is a great choice as long as you are the one loading it yourself.  The Hornady factory ammo was pretty anemic to say the least.  I load the XTP over a near max charge of Blue Dot for 1250fps from my 10mm Kimber.  I'm sure they would do a number on a larger size dog.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think the 200gr XTP is a great choice as long as you are the one loading it yourself.  The Hornady factory ammo was pretty anemic to say the least.  I load the XTP over a near max charge of Blue Dot for 1250fps from my 10mm Kimber.  I'm sure they would do a number on a larger size dog.  
View Quote
Oh yeah I buy Underwood! 1250fps out of my Glock 40. I do need to get into reloading for my 10mm.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#25]
.357 sig entered the chest of a charging pit bull and exited near his anus. he turned and run off bleeding out. he managed to make it home before dying 
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I carry a .45 loaded with Federal 230gr HST, so...that's what I would shoot it with.

I'd  say between .380auto and .44magnum shot placement and number of rounds on target matters far more than caliber.

P.S. I have shot a stay dog with a .22 air rifle in the chest and had it die in about 10-15 seconds (heart shot). Shot placement matters yo.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
.357 sig entered the chest of a charging pit bull and exited near his anus. he turned and run off bleeding out. he managed to make it home before dying 
View Quote
Thats a little more penetration than id expect.  I suppose thats believable for 125gr Gild Dot.

And ouch must have hurt!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top