Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2017 7:23:59 PM EDT
how to tell which +P has moar felt recoil than non-+P ammo?

reading the lucky gunner tests, some ammo is rated +P but has lower
velocity readings than some standard ammo

the reason i'm asking is i'm looking to get the largest dia. mushroom +
penetration without too much recoil; yea, i know you need power to
make the boolit expand, but there's a fine line & i can't afford to buy
alot of boxes of $1.00 a shot fodder to find a starting point.

thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
+p refers to the higher pressure level of the cartridge, not necessarily the  velocity.  Higher pressure should produce higher velocity, with the same bullet, but as you showed, it doesn't always work out that way.

As far as expansion and penetration, you can choose one or the other, or some where in between.

I know this doesn't help much, but there are no easy ways to judge cartridges with loads as similar as what you find in .38 and .38 +p.

You will probably have to shoot them to really discover how they act, though you can estimate if you have reliable velocities to go by.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Lucky Gunner Labs has collected some pretty good data on .38spl ammo (as well as other calibers).  Short barrel, standard pressure, +p, etc.  They have assembled a great site where you can sort by penetration, velocity, or average expansion.  Nothing is perfect but it's an interesting read.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The 158 gr LSWCHP +P has a good track record.  They called this the Metro load or FBI load.  LEOs used it short barrels.  I carry it in a 638. Its hot but manageable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top