Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/16/2017 7:31:05 PM EDT
If caliber is important, 9mm.  Which is better for self defense?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Neither is a bad choice.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Lucky gunner did a really nice comparison of SD ammo in 2012 or so.TNOutdoors on YouTube reviews ammo quite well.

Those sources (and others) seem to say they are both comparable / quality choices. I buy HST until there is a smoking deal on GD.

Sorry for the non-answer.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Curious myself, but I have HST loaded up now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have kind of felt like just buy whichever is cheaper at the moment.  I'm kind of getting that vibe now.  Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe a Ford / Chevy, 9mm / .45 question...
I carry a .45 loaded with Gold Dot's in a Chevy,
I think I'm gonna try HST's when I run into a deal
and after about 45 years of swearing I didn't want a 9mm
I'm gonna pick one up, once I decide which one to try.
No fuck'in way I'm gonna be a Ford guy though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
They both pass FBI protocol tests (last I looked) so you're GTG.  

I shoot both in 357 Sig and .40 Short and Weak.

The HSTs are factory, the GDs are from Underwood.

Buy what's on sale, a case at a time.

Masammo has great sales, excellent company to buy from (among others!).
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
HST all the way.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
HST for me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:26:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If caliber is important, 9mm.  Which is better for self defense?
View Quote

Both are great.

From the tests I've seen Hold Dot does better on barriers and penetrates about an inch deeper, while hst expands a bit more.

HST expands more reliably at low velocities (ie: if you use a short barrel).

I like Gold Dots more out of a stamdard barrel. In a short barrel I like HST,  or Corbon Gen 3  DPX
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I like both, and will buy whichever is cheaper.  For no particular reason I seem to gravitate toward the HST when a wild thought strikes me to check ammo prices or fill out a minimum order for a deal.  They do have the 150 grain 'micro' 9mm load that I like for my P30sk and will have to try in the Shield.  Although 147 grain gold dots with the poly tip have been extremely accurate for me also, and is what HK chose themselves at the range day I went to.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a box of both, and see which shoots better @ 25 yards off a bench.

Utilize the more accurate round for self defense. If they're equal, go with whichever is cheaper and/or more readily available.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]
My daily carry piece suffers from about a 10% jam rate with Gold Dot.  

Switched to HST and it feeds 100%.

So HST is best.  

In MY gun.

Test both and see if your gun prefers one over the other.  That will be the best round for YOU.

There is very little difference in the performance of these two bullets otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a mixture of both in inventory.  I use the HST's in my Sig P290RS.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Last time I checked. Bad guys had not and I repeat HAD NOT built up any immunity to Gold Dots or HST.
However there seems to be some immunity built up against all of the cheap hard ball ammo that Wal-Mart sells.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Both are great. I have mags loaded with both.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neither is a bad choice.
View Quote
FPNI. All handguns are relatively poor 'stoppers' regardless of caliber or bullet used. Shot placement and sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary.
I'd be happy w/either as long as it fed reliably, but carry 124gr HST due to its performance in my Shield's short bbl.

Tomac
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I currently carry 147 grain HST, but I wouldn't think twice if I had 124 grain +P GoldDots.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Test fire your gun with both, if they are reliable (100-200 rounds of testing) then carry the one you get the best pricing on.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Alright, I'll be the odd man out.  

I'm partial to Gold Dots (both in .45 and 9).

Been carrying them since '96 or so.  Every one has gone bang and fed great in any gun I used.

[I also drive a Dodge, if that matters.  Why?  Because it's better than Chevy or Ford  ]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Okay whichever shoots better in my gun. These two are similar in performance.  Got it. How does the XTP stack up against them performance wise?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't feel undergunned with the Winchester load.  

The only reason l haven't tried them is because no one locally stocks it so l could try it.  

Its basically the old "evil" Black Talon design wirhout the black coating.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Op, I have a healthy stock of HST's, Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, and Winchester Rangers... all in 147 grain, standard pressure. I buy whatever is on sale at the time I am looking for them. I use them all interchangeably as they all perform well and all feed reliably out of my CZ P-01 and SP-01's... They are all fantastic self defense loads in my opinion. Buy whatever is cheapest and reliably feeds in your carry piece. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Both are great. I have mags loaded with both.
View Quote
So do I. As well as Ranger bonded...

Doesn't matter in real life.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I wouldn't carry a gun that jammed with Gold Dots.   And what do I know.  I only spent 28 years on an leo gun range??
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Right before I retired we were in the process of switching from Sigs to the FNS.  After the armory had chosen the FN somebody had the brilliant idea of shooting them with our duty ammo the 180 gold dot. So when they started jamming badly they contacted FN who replied that they had never tested the FNS with gold dots! FN had to redesign the feed ramp and send new barrels for the pistols we already had. I said we should have sent all the guns back and choose wisely this time.  Nope stick with it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#26]
We issue Gold Dot, HST or Hornady Critical Duty, depending on price and availability.  I don't worry about which one is in my gun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't believe the bad guy will know the difference if you do your part.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
This doesn't bother you? I won't keep a range gun that experiences any measurable amount of failures on any round.  The thought of that on a carry is unnerving to say the least. This suggests a fundamental reliability issue with JHP rounds, or perhaps reliability in general. The .005 length, curve, or shape difference (whatever, arbitrary example) between HST and GD that seems to make a difference is riding the lightning in a big kind of way. I'd throw that thing out the EE window and wouldn't miss a wink of sleep over it.

Back to the OP, if you have a reliable platform and do your part, an HST, a GD, a Ranger, Golden Saber etc., any tried and true round is going to do its part. It's fun to ponder and discuss these things but it's as splitting hairs as you're going to get. I shoot solely GD 124+p only because I picked up several cases of them a few years back for firesale prices.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This doesn't bother you? I won't keep a range gun that experiences any measurable amount of failures on any round.  The thought of that on a carry is unnerving to say the least. This suggests a fundamental reliability issue with JHP rounds, or perhaps reliability in general. The .005 length, curve, or shape difference (whatever, arbitrary example) between HST and GD that seems to make a difference is riding the lightning in a big kind of way. I'd throw that thing out the EE window and wouldn't miss a wink of sleep over it.

Back to the OP, if you have a reliable platform and do your part, an HST, a GD, a Ranger, Golden Saber etc., any tried and true round is going to do its part. It's fun to ponder and discuss these things but it's as splitting hairs as you're going to get. I shoot solely GD 124+p only because I picked up several cases of them a few years back for firesale prices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand where you're coming from and l was concerned in the beginning.  

But it's always been 100% with ball and when l switched to HST it remains 100%.  For whatever reason it does not like Gold Dot.  Now this was 3 or 4 years ago so maybe Speer has changed something about their round,  or maybe the gun has loosened up and will feed it now.  

Now that you brought it up l should try Gold Dot again.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
HST all the way.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I understand where you're coming from and l was concerned in the beginning.  

But it's always been 100% with ball and when l switched to HST it remains 100%.  For whatever reason it does not like Gold Dot.  Now this was 3 or 4 years ago so maybe Speer has changed something about their round,  or maybe the gun has loosened up and will feed it now.  

Now that you brought it up l should try Gold Dot again.
View Quote
I have a Kahr CW9 that took a few hundred rounds to shoot JHP reliably. I *almost* got rid of it, but it's my hand's favorite slimline compact carry and accompanies me every now and again. I wouldn't be surprised if you tried some GDs after a few years and many rounds later and had much better results!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Gold Dot vs. HST is like asking which testicle you like better.

There isn't a wrong answer, and getting both is always a good plan.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#33]
another beans/no beans thread?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Gold Dot vs. HST is like asking which testicle you like better.
View Quote
The left one....... definitely the left one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I would be confident with either.  That being said I like HST better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#36]
The one that is the best is the one that will feed reliable with out any problems. Reliability comes first. I have a 45 that likes HST but not Hornady Critical Duty. I have a 9mm that has had a few jams with HST and no problems with Hornady Critical Duty. If you are going to carry find what works 100% and stick with that round.  Both are excellent.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Gold Dot and HST in less than 147g fail min penetration in bare gel.

HST 147g expands better than 147g Gold Dot with similar penetration.  Gold Dot (147) is OK, but 147 HST is better.

If heavy clothing is a concern where you live, all weights penetrate (Gold Dot and HST), but the HST has the edge in expansion.  147g Ranger T is the best in heavy clothing from the data I have.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Gold Dot and HST in less than 147g fail min penetration in bare gel.

HST 147g expands better than 147g Gold Dot with similar penetration.  Gold Dot (147) is OK, but 147 HST is better.

If heavy clothing is a concern where you live, all weights penetrate (Gold Dot and HST), but the HST has the edge in expansion.  147g Ranger T is the best in heavy clothing from the data I have.
View Quote
Not according to this:
Ammo Quest 9mm: Federal HST 124 grain tested in ballistic gelatin test review

You may get more expansion resulting in a little less penetration with a longer barrel or a +p load, but everything I've seen has even those going to 12" plus.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Okay whichever shoots better in my gun. These two are similar in performance.  Got it. How does the XTP stack up against them performance wise?
View Quote
This is my take on XTP's, I've used them for years in 357 & 44 mag.
XTP's will expand somewhat less than Gold Dots, but XTP's will expand about the same amount over a very wide range of velocities. That's important if you shoot the same loads out of say a 4" revolver and a 18-20" rifle. I'm not aware  of any other expanding bullet that will do that.
XTP's have a very good reputation amoung handgun hunters .
You basically give up a certain amount of expansion, in return you get a bullet that penetrates more, and more reliably across a wide range of velocities.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks that's kind of what I thought, but wasn't sure.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#41]
If your "self defense" use might involve humans OR critters (short of brown bear/cape buffalo/etc), I think XTP's are THE choice.
And are still a good choice (in fast 357's/44's) even if animals aren't a consideration. IMO.
They are the only choice (that I'm aware of) if you put your ammo thru both a handgun and a carbine, assuming expanding bullets.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:43:41 AM EDT
[#42]
XTP is one of the best overall bullet designs out there and is almost never a bad choice IMO.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#43]
147gr +p HST is all i buy for my 9mms.

i think im at 4k rds of it stocked away from the 1k case sales of it earlier in the year.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Area recently switched to 9mm Glocks with the new G2. First OIS was last week which consisted of single round to the chest that proved fatal. Shot placement is still a winner but I'd say it performed well.

I still use HST just out of habit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Try both and see what your gun likes better. 
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Another vote for HST.  I have it in 9mm and 45ACP and have never had a malfunction with it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I would not ignore Winchester Rangers
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:12:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would not ignore Winchester Rangers
View Quote
I bought 200 rounds in 09. I've not seen it available anywhere since then.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:41:49 AM EDT
[#49]
I've been a long time Gold Dot user, partly because I like that they offer a practice round (Lawman) with the same characteristics, but also because testing has always looked very good, and they are used by lots of law enforcement agencies. However, the tests don't look as good with short barreled pistols like the Shield and Glock 43, while HST still performs very well. Based on that, I've been testing HSTs to make sure they function smoothly in my pistols (so far so good, although some mixed results with G43 aftermarket mag extensions).

I see a lot of people (not in this thread specifically) say that certain ammo works "flawlessly" or "without any issues" in their pistols. It usually sounds like they're referring to mechanical function of the pistol with that ammo, as opposed to the terminal ballistics of the round itself (I doubt many of them are referring to the results of an actual shooting with the ammo in question). People will say that they carry a particular round, including Gold Dots, in "all of their 9mm pistols." I'm not sure that all of those folks have actually looked at the ballistic tests for various barrel lengths of their preferred round - they may have just read one test or watched one YouTube video and called it good. Thorough research is what led me to decide that my favorite Gold Dots may not be the best round to use in all of my pistols if they don't perform well out of short barrels. I'd recommend that you look for test results that correspond to each of the pistols / barrels that you intend to use the ammo in, then thoroughly function test that ammo in each gun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:54:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The left one....... definitely the left one.
View Quote
Naw man it is the Right one Always the Right, Unless you are a lefty
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top