Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2017 4:37:04 PM EDT
Is The Federal 9mm HST JHP Really That Good Glock 26 Gen 4 Modified Vortex Venom
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#1]
TNOutdoors has WAY better videos than this one. OP is just shilling for his YouTube channel.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting video, I'd love to see how a Hornady Critical Duty 135gr would do in this test with the polymer tip.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:07:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TNOutdoors has WAY better videos than this one. OP is just shilling for his YouTube channel.
View Quote
This is a good test, he uses 10% gel, gives the tempreature, and the camera work is good.

I think the point of this forum is to discus ammunition and tests like this. I also like seeing multiple people test the same round to get more data points.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:11:29 AM EDT
[#4]
The defender bullet certainly is impressive, and ironically it does protect against overpenetration. Regarding the 65gr bullets, Underwood is loading the 65gr at 2100fps in .357 sig, if you ever get a chance to test that, that would be cool!

While the HST did not expand I think a much bigger concern with a hollowpoint on sheetmetal (or autoglass) is the hollowpoint expanding and not penetrating enough in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Hollow points that travel thru auto glass and sheet metal never expand they get chewed up from the moment they impact the glass or metal, seeing how lead is much softer material, so don't expect rounds to hold their shape and then expand...
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Spend your own money and do these test better or stop being a hater.  OP had to buy ammo, camera, spend his time, supply all equipment to produce the video, edit the video, and buy his own firearms to shoot.  He is a member at my suggestion awhile back and I commend him for that you are not even a member what have you contributed lately?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Same 90gr. XD bullet after penetrating through both shoulders of a #160 wild Texas boar.

Full Autopsy video.

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Spend your own money and do these test better or stop being a hater.  OP had to buy ammo, camera, spend his time, supply all equipment to produce the video, edit the video, and buy his own firearms to shoot.  He is a member at my suggestion awhile back and I commend him for that you are not even a member what have you contributed lately?
View Quote
Thank you Sir!
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you Sir!
View Quote
Haters gonna hate.....  Some on here are highly critical and not constructively critical.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is a good test, he uses 10% gel, gives the tempreature, and the camera work is good.

I think the point of this forum is to discus ammunition and tests like this. I also like seeing multiple people test the same round to get more data points.
View Quote
I agree. Data is a good thing. I test my JHPs in water jugs. They almost always match the 10% gel results. To me, its good data. Not definitive but terminal ballistics should be looked at as a collection of information vs performance in a single test.

I like Shootingthebull410 best though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Haters gonna hate.....  Some on here are highly critical and not constructively critical.
View Quote
Copy That!

Btw..I never thanked you for finally "pushing me over the edge" in securing an AR15 Team Membership.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Copy That!

Btw..I never thanked you for finally "pushing me over the edge" in securing an AR15 Team Membership.
View Quote
You are good!  Your videos are getting better.... got to start somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Same 90gr. XD bullet after penetrating through both shoulders of a #160 wild Texas boar.

Full Autopsy video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ4S-sUzNA
View Quote
Exactly the proof Ive been looking for
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Also, just for reference the velocity for that is 1182fps ... Underwood's standard pressure goes 1400fps ... that's a 90gr bullet loaded to the velocity you can easily push a 124gr ... seems weird to me is all. It seems to have done a good job regardless.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#16]
00Quoted:

Exactly the proof Ive been looking for
View Quote
Yes Sir. As a hunter first and foremost, and a somewhat journeyman ballistician, I want my bullets to perform on wild game. As my buddy Josh from South Texas says. 

"..Professional hunters do not use gimmick bullets..." He regularly kill 100's of wild hogs and other nuisance animals every year, and he is summarily impressed with the Lehigh Defense Bullets.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Also, just for reference the velocity for that is 1182fps ... Underwood's standard pressure goes 1400fps ... that's a 90gr bullet loaded to the velocity you can easily push a 124gr ... seems weird to me is all. It seems to have done a good job regardless.
View Quote
Indeed. That wild hog was killed with a 3.2" barreled Taurus PT709 9mm [Of which I no longer have]. I am now getting around 1,380 fps in my custom 4.6" G19 threaded barreled Glock 26 with my handloads.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Ah ok that makes sense, I was like why download it lol. I am glad you posted the test, if you can post other pics that would be great! I wanted to test this but havent had the chance yet.

I switched to 200gr XTP IN MY 10MM, now Im wondering if I should go back to the 115gr defender at 1700fps. I do keep the lehigh defense bullets in my spare mags.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#19]
By the way Ive been accused of being a shill for this ammo before. I always pointed out how consistent the penetration is even through barriers. While it is true some experts say the pressure doesnt matter under 2000fps it is ignorant to assume the same limit exists for a fluted bullet. Obviously the fluted design significantly increases the pressure.

I usually pack 125gr gold dots in my .357 sig but I may switch to the defenders now. The 90gr goes 1700fps and the 65gr goes 2100fps so I imagine it works even better!
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Wow! 10mm 115gr. XD @1,700 fps = serious damage right there. And yes, the 357Sig is also a tremendous load.

I did manage to get a 2 for 1 kill on a coúple of smaller boars with my 45ACP using the 120gr. XD.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4QVpMqry8
Wow! 10mm 115gr. XD @1,700 fps = serious damage right there. And yes, the 357Sig is also a tremendous load.

I did manage to get a 2 for 1 kill on a coúple of smaller boars with my 45ACP using the 120gr. XD.
View Quote
You were in Bayside I suppose?  You were just north of me and that one hog looked rather close.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You were in Bayside I suppose?  You were just north of me and that one hog looked rather close.
View Quote
We hunted on several tracts between Sinton and Corpus Christi. 
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We hunted on several tracts between Sinton and Corpus Christi. 
View Quote
Nice you come down this way often?  Some pretty tits gear you guys had!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I agree. Data is a good thing. I test my JHPs in water jugs. They almost always match the 10% gel results. To me, its good data. Not definitive but terminal ballistics should be looked at as a collection of information vs performance in a single test.

I like Shootingthebull410 best though.
View Quote
I also test my hollowpoints in 4 layer denim covered water jugs. The results are pretty consistent with what I've seen in gel. If they don't expand in gel, they tend to over penetrate in milk jugs. Like the Ranger 127 +p+.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nice you come down this way often?  Some pretty tits gear you guys had!
View Quote
Once a year, hopefully next Spring again....I'll look you up and maybe we should hunt sometime.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I also test my hollowpoints in 4 layer denim covered water jugs. The results are pretty consistent with what I've seen in gel. If they don't expand in gel, they tend to over penetrate in milk jugs. Like the Ranger 127 +p+.
View Quote
Indeed. Water is also a decent test medium to get consistent baseline results.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top