Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2017 9:53:31 AM EDT
I've been curious about how the 90gr XTP (380 Auto bullet) might do in a 9mm compact so I loaded a few with 6.5gr of Winchester AutoComp.  This is the max load according to the Hodgdon website.  S&B primers and WIN cases were used.

Chrono'ed velocities from my SIG P320 Compact were slightly higher than those listed on the Hodgdon website.  Of the five rounds chrono'ed, only four were recorded.  High was 1,347fps.  Low was 1,328.  Average was 1,337 fps with an SD of 8.5.  This load's giving about a 120 powder factor.  Not that anyone would want to use it for USPSA or IDPA but I included the PF number just to give an idea of recoil.

Anyway, here are the recovered bullets.  These were fired into a block of synthetic gel made by Clear Ballistics.  Distance from muzzle to block was 10 feet.

Two top two bullets were fired through denim, insulation and two layers of cotton to simulate the FBI protocol.  Both penetrated just over 13 inches and have a retained weight of about 85 grains.  

The bottom two bullets were fired into bare gel and penetrated to about 10 inches.  Both bullets lost some jacket material and had recovered weights of about 75 grains.  

Overall, I think the bullet worked okay considering it is made for the 380 ACP.  I don't have too many of these left but I might load up a few more just to mess with.  Maybe I'll see how they shoot out to about 25 yards.  I'd also like to try a couple through my SIG P938.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. What's the expanded diameter?

How's the point of impact compared to a more standard load?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting test, thanks for sharing. XTPs seem to do pretty well when pushed quickly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:21:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting. What's the expanded diameter?

How's the point of impact compared to a more standard load?
View Quote
I haven't shot these at distance yet.  That's planned.  I'm wanting to test point of aim/point of impact at 15 and maybe 25 yards.

Recovered diameters are .56" for bare and .51" for clothing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I have done a batch of hot loaded 90gr XTPs to play with out of a Glock 17. I don't recall the exact charge, but I used Power Pistol and it chronied in the high 1300s. Recoil was not bad, but the muzzle flash was pretty impressive. Crappy low rez cell video does manage to catch a couple good flashes

Gen2 G17 with 90gr XTP handload
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:36:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have done a batch of hot loaded 90gr XTPs to play with out of a Glock 17. I don't recall the exact charge, but I used Power Pistol and it chronied in the high 1300s. Recoil was not bad, but the muzzle flash was pretty impressive. Crappy low rez cell video does manage to catch a couple good flashes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCIlfkyz9Ns
View Quote
I noticed some muzzle flash with AutoComp but nothing extreme or excessive.

I imagine something like Ramshot Silhouette would be a prime choice if muzzle flash is a concern.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Weather kept me indoors this afternoon so no accuracy info. Maybe next week...
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I have some 90gr Gold Dots I was thinking about loading with power pistol as a small game load.

Thanks for the test
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top