Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2017 7:11:47 PM EDT
Underwood has a well-deserved reputation of loading their ammo hot and this one is no exception.  The four rounds tested has an average velocity of 1128fps with a 147gr bullet. Four rounds out of a Sig 320 with a four inch barrel. Shot into two 16 inch blocks of Clear Ballistics gel at a distance of 10 feet.

The first round shot into bare gel had a velocity of 1109fps and penetrated 16 inches with an expansion of .58 inches. The second round also went to 16 inches with a velocity of 1128fps and expanded to .60 inches.

The first round in heavy clothing had a velocity of 1139fps, penetrated to 20.75 Inches and expanded to .51 inches. Round number two went 21 inches with a velocity of 1138fps and expanded to .45 inches.    

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for testing this! Very good penetration consistent performance. I carried this in my backup gun (Glock 43) earlier today.

A few inches past the 18in mark but if this were 10% ballistics gel maybe it would have been right at 18in. I don't mind a few extra inches.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#2]
This load may be a good option for a 9MM woods/trail gun.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I expected a little more expansion in the heavy clothing, considering the velocity. Penetration definitely won't be an issue. Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I was wondering how much the velocity would make them open up in the denim. I had seen other tests using Hornady's load which had lower velocity. This seems to me a good load if you want a bullet that will penetrate bones better. Seems like a trade-off to me, this load will reach the spine with more reliability, but HST/Gold Dots/DPX will make a wider hole elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
@5pins could you clarify what you mean by "heavy clothing"? Was that four layers of denim, or some heavy jacket you had lying around, etc? I'm just asking for reference. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Heavy clothing consist of one layer of heavy 14oz cotton denim, one layer of Polartec 200 fleece, one layer of 5.5oz cotton T-shirt, an one layer 3.5oz cotton T-shirt.

https://www.clearballistics.com/shop/heavy-clothing-testing-pack/
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice, thanks!

Their prices are not too bad I may need to buy some I just need somewhere I can shoot it.

Have you ever tested the Underwood defender bullets in that gel?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I hate that that website doesn't just sell the standard 4 layers of denim as used by the IDPA.

When they use something else, tests cannot be compared to others who used the standard.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate that that website doesn't just sell the standard 4 layers of denim as used by the IDPA.

When they use something else, tests cannot be compared to others who used the standard.
View Quote
14oz Denim

I think you meant IWBA.

Heavy clothing is the standard used by the FBI and DHS, not four layers of denim.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

14oz Denim

I think you meant IWBA.

Heavy clothing is the standard used by the FBI and DHS, not four layers of denim.
View Quote
I stand corrected then. I only wish more testers would use this method then to be consistent with FBI protocol.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry the 147 bonded  +p+ version. Chrono'd some last week. Avg  1190 out of a Glock 17.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top