Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2017 11:50:14 AM EDT
Yes, I know there is no specs from SAAMI for the .380ACP +P, But does that really mean it is unsafe? There is no specs for 9mm +P+ either, but several big names load a few offerings. I know Winchester does and I believe Federal does as well. I've shot plenty of 127gr Ranger T's without issue in my Glocks. And SAAMI has been around since 1926. Have they updated anything since then? I plan on trying a box of Underwoood 90gr. +P XTP's in my Kimber Micro and don't see why the little Kimber wouldn't be able to handle it every once in awhile. Yes, I realize that +P will wear your pistol out a little faster, but I might only shoot a box every year through it. I've confirmed the 90 XTP works perfectly in my pistol by shooting hundreds of rounds from various manufacturers at standard pressures. I have also yet to see a Kb from any modern .380 using plus P ammunition, but please share if you know of such incident. I know it's not a 9mm and I'm not trying to make it a 9mm. I'm just curious if SAAMI specs might be a little outdated and trying to get a bit more energy from a .380. Thoughts? Please keep this thread civil. I want to hear good thoughts about the subject either way.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't know it existed.

I'm not sure I'd want to try it out in my LCP
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagging.  I just bought a .380.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't know it existed.

I'm not sure I'd want to try it out in my LCP
View Quote

It really doesn't exist if you go by SAAMI.

There are others, but here's what I'm looking at.

https://underwoodammo.com/product-category/pistolammunition/380-acp/
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a +P .380" load that from a 3895 equals a +P 9x19mm load out of a 4" bbl.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/380auto2.html

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Precision One makes an XTP 90 +P

Works flawlessly in a LCPII
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Precision One makes an XTP 90 +P

Works flawlessly in a LCPII
View Quote

I don't see any specs. Have you chrono'ed any of it?

http://www.precisiononeammunition.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2_37_42&products_id=244&zenid=tgs1o5pvan7nhakr778g4scsr6
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:37:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Given that there's no standard for it, how do you even know what you're getting?
View Quote

I reckon you don't for the most part. The ammo manufacturer can have pressures tests done I would imagine. There probably is some math involved. Pistols don't seem to be blowing up as far as I can tell. I would imagine Underwood didn't just fill up a case with as much powder the could get in there. My guess is they did some research on the matter. I guess what I have really been wondering is, are the SAAMI specs for the .380 possibly out of date?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got a paper catalog from Cheaper Than Dirt. Threw it away about 10 minutes after flipping thru, but pulled out of the trash for this!

Listed are (Double Tap, Federal, & Winchester) .38 Specials +P and a few page later are Mag Tech .38 Super +P.

In the list is fps & grain, not a lot of similar bullets but there are Winchester ... short story ... +P is >50 fps versus not +P. All have fps much less than an .357 mag. So personally, if I wanted more bang it would be the .357. But, for the range I'll opt for .38 Special (no +P) and possibly for personal defense if I also value my hearing.

I have 2 revolvers that can handle these rounds & have not shot +P rounds as yet. Not really feeling the interest. Eventually ...
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:44:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just got a paper catalog from Cheaper Than Dirt. Threw it away about 10 minutes after flipping thru, but pulled out of the trash for this!

Listed are (Double Tap, Federal, & Winchester) .38 Specials +P and a few page later are Mag Tech .38 Super +P.

In the list is fps & grain, not a lot of similar bullets but there are Winchester ... short story ... +P is >50 fps versus not +P. All have fps much less than an .357 mag. So personally, if I wanted more bang it would be the .357. But, for the range I'll opt for .38 Special (no +P) and possibly for personal defense if I also value my hearing.

I have 2 revolvers that can handle these rounds & have not shot +P rounds as yet. Not really feeling the interest. Eventually ...
View Quote

The discussion is about the .380 ACP not the .38 Special...

Buffalo Bore, Underwood, Precision One, CorBon etc have been around for a while now and people do shoot their products a lot. Seems like .380 +p has not cause many major issues and I know of no KB cases. I would feel perfectly comfortable shooting and carrying +p.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#11]
A lot of 380's are blow back designs.  I wouldn't trust a blow back with +P ammo.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#12]
My LCP II book specifically says DO NOT use +P ammo in the gun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, i took my Kimber Micro Raptor to the range yesterday with 40 rounds of Underwood 90gr. +P XTP's. I've already confirmed the XTP functions fine by shooing approximately 200 rounds of Hornady Custom, Hornady American Gunner and Black Hills through my Micro. I used 3- 6 round magazines topping them all off just like I carry. The last mag had a couple of FMJ's at the bottom. I'm using a Sig P238 recoil and firing pin spring. I also brought Wolff extra power mag springs, for a Colt Mustang in case I ran into timing issues, which I did not. All rounds fired and ejected perfectly. Recoil is noticeably warmer than standard FMJ loads, but not nearly as hot as I expected. They probably would be a handful in an LCP, but I never like shooting my LCP with anything. Accuracy was decent for me holding a 5" group at 10 yards. My local indoor range won't allow me to use my chronograph, but my guess is muzzle velocity is somewhere in the ballpark of 1075 fps. I never thought getting hit by a .380 would be fun, but this stuff will definitely leave a mark. Yes, it's still a .380 and shot placement is still king.

I must confess I was a little hesitant in using this ammo, but my concerns were unwarranted. It's simply no big deal. Though I won't shoot this ammo on a weekly basis, burning through my carry ammo twice a year should be no problem. I also give props to Underwood, their quality and customer service is second to none.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:The discussion is about the .380 ACP not the .38 Special...
View Quote

Attempted redemption with this link
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't have any .380's, but my guess would be that you use a .380 for a super small gun and/or to minimize recoil.  Now that there are lots of options for super small guns in 9mm, I think people would chose a 9mm rather than trying to increase the power of the .380.  If you are using .380 for recoil concerns, you wouldn't want a +p.  My opinion would be that there really is no reason for .380 +p.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't have any .380's, but my guess would be that you use a .380 for a super small gun and/or to minimize recoil.  Now that there are lots of options for super small guns in 9mm, I think people would chose a 9mm rather than trying to increase the power of the .380.  If you are using .380 for recoil concerns, you wouldn't want a +p.  My opinion would be that there really is no reason for .380 +p.
View Quote

I had a Kahr PM9 which is similar in size to my Kimber Micro, but I just couldn't shoot it worth a damn. I had an LCP (great size for PC), but I couldn't shoot that worth a damn either. The Kimber Micro is about maximum size for me to pocket carry. The .380 +P seems to shoot good for me with recoil only being slightly more than standard pressure.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  I don't have any .380's, but my guess would be that you use a .380 for a super small gun and/or to minimize recoil.  Now that there are lots of options for super small guns in 9mm, I think people would chose a 9mm rather than trying to increase the power of the .380.  If you are using .380 for recoil concerns, you wouldn't want a +p.  My opinion would be that there really is no reason for .380 +p.
View Quote

Only in jurisdictions that prohibit 9x19mm, like Mexico.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Only looking at the numbers, 380ACP versus 380ACP +P is    meh    as far a fire power. Just my opinion.

However, if that small 380ACP is your only range gun & built to minimal standards, then don't be surprised if there are wear issues. Regretfully, I can't find anything supporting this ... although I strongly support the notion that there would be excess wear. It seems that I should be able to find some cheap worn out guns, but not everything is sold on the net.  PPL should try harder.

I would love to find some of those worn out guns to practice some smithing skills.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top