Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2017 2:03:21 PM EDT
Was doing the weekly carry ammo check and noticed what appears to be bullet setback.

The round in question is an Underwood loaded .380acp XTP +P 90 grain: https://underwoodammo.com/shop/380-acp-p-90-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point/

Photographed next to it is a new Underwood loaded .380acp Xtreme Penetrator and a new .380acp Hornady XTP.

I have taken this ammo out of rotation and replaced it with the Hornady loaded XTPs. However I am wondering is this truly bullet setback or is this within spec? These rounds have only been hand cycled twice and I have fired off a couple of boxes without an issue, however this is the first time noticing the difference. I had these loaded up in two mags of my G42 (12 rounds) and out of those at least half were like this or slightly worse.

Thanks for the insight!

Xtreme Penetrator (left), Underwood XTP - round in question (center), Hornady XTP (right)
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, time to rotate that out of your carry gun, looks like a little set back to me. Thats normal for that to occur when you chamber a round a few times.

If it were me, especially with .380 I'd probably still shoot that one still but generally speaking setback can sometimes lead to pressure issues.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure it was only twice? That case looks pretty beat up to me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, time to rotate that out of your carry gun, looks like a little set back to me. Thats normal for that to occur when you chamber a round a few times.

If it were me, especially with .380 I'd probably still shoot that one still but generally speaking setback can sometimes lead to pressure issues.
View Quote

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, just twice with these. I try not to cycle my carry ammo at all until I change it out with new, then I shoot it and call it a day. I was surprised because of this. I've never experienced that kind of setback on any 9mm carry ammo.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

X2
I'd shoot that in any caliber.  In my own testing setback isn't much of a concern in modern firearms.
I worry more about reloads KB'ing in Glocks then setback.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, just twice with these. I try not to cycle my carry ammo at all until I change it out with new, then I shoot it and call it a day. I was surprised because of this. I've never experienced that kind of setback on any 9mm carry ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Case neck tension on those rounds is incorrect then, they were bad from the factory. No way 2 hand cycles should result in that kind of setback.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top