Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2017 9:00:12 PM EDT
This is one I have been meaning to do for a while now since the Speer Gold Dot has been my carry load for some time. I change my test up now and I’m going to shoot two rounds into bare gel and two into heavy clothing. I actually did three into the heavy clothing this time just because. All shot with a Glock 19 at a distance of 10 feet. I got an incorrect reading from the chrony on the first shot but penetration in bear gel was 14 inches and expansion was .64 inch. Shot number two, also in bare gel, had a velocity of 1199fps and penetrated 14.5 inches and expanded to .64 inch also. The first round into heavy clothing had in impact velocity of 1187fps, penetration of 19.25 inches and expansion of .52. The second round hit at 1171fps, penetrated 17.25 inches, and expanded to .56 inch. The final shot into the heavy clothing had no chrony reading, penetrated 18 inches and expanded to .54 inch.      

http://www.sgammo.com/product/speer/50-round-box-9mm-p-speer-gold-dot-124-grain-le-hollow-point-ammo-53617
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the testing. This is my duty load.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, OP. This is my primary carry ammo as well.
Always interesting to see the difference heavy clothing makes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
^ Interesting test, Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, OP. This is my primary carry ammo as well.
Always interesting to see the difference heavy clothing makes.
View Quote

My 9mm handgun go to round too. Thanks for the work.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Today I decided to try out this load in my Kahr MK9. I don’t carry it often but I was still curious how it would perform. I only had one gel block so I didn’t try the heavy clothing because I’m sure they would have penetrated the 16 inches. I also didn’t bother to set up the chrony, mainly out of laziness. I normally get an average velocity of 1117 fps with this gun.
One round was just poking out of the gel with the other two coming in just short of it.  So a very respectable 15.5 to 16 inches of penetration. All the bullets expanded to around .60 inches.        

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I was curious how they did out of shorter barrels. Thanks for testing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for testing! Gold Dots are a solid choice. The penetration thru heavy clothing is just awesome!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top